It is so cute it hurts and the soundtrack is super cool. What are some other games you’d suggest for Cult of the Lamb lovers?

I just got a refurbished old hp laptop for free and I can do some gaming on Steam but uh, it’s not a gaming laptop per se. I also have a switch. Hit me!

• Blapoo@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

There’s a wealth of quality games available when you stop looking at the billboard titles. Fuck Diablo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Starfield.

Go play Undertale, Bastion, Ori and the Blind Forest, Death’s Door, Shovel Knight.

So many great, cheap games out there.

• ratboy [they/them]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Hell yeah! I’m not good enough at FPS games or literally anything that requires two joysticks to navigate worlds lol so I’m very happy to have delved into indie games. I played Undertale and LOVED it but I got stuck at Flowey and gave up lol. I’m really bad with that, I don’t know if I’ve ever actually completed an entire game, maybe once. I’ll definitely check the rest out though

• RedHelhest [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

If you liked the roguelite elements of Cult of the Lamb, definitely check out Hades, one of the best roguelites ever made. Don’t know if your laptop could run it, but it is on the switch.

• alexandra_kollontai [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I enjoyed Hades but do note (no spoilers):

Every part of the game gets about 3 times better and more interesting after you win your first run. If you’re like a dozen hours in and you expected more out of the game but haven’t won a run yet, I highly recommend turning on easy mode (it reduces incoming damage a fraction) until you get the win. I did this and it both improved my enjoyment and reduced my frustration with the game so much.

This is because the mirror abilities are incredibly powerful and will help you win, but you need to play a lot to get enough resources to purchase them. So if you want to see fresh story and more content without grinding for the mirror, consider using easy mode to get the first win.

• MTLion3@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Welcome back from retirement! Haven’t actually played CotL myself but I’m glad you’re enjoying it

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Thank you! For whatever reason I stopped playing games regularly after Kingdom Hearts 1 came out (I am old) but every now and then I’ll get suuuuper obsessed and play for hours a day for a couple weeks and then go back into hibernation. So far so good though lol

• MTLion3@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Whatever works for you, right? Baldur’s Gate 3 is another great game to get lost in. I just beat it for the first time after probably over 60 hours and I know I could do things very differently on a second play through I’ve already started… on top of the 2 co op games I’m in with other people 🤣

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yes Baldur’s Gate looks sick! Now I’m considering just downloading the games with more intense graphics on my partners’ ps5 lol. I now have like 15 games on my wishlist

• MTLion3@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

If they’ve got it and are cool with you using it, go for it! So many great games out there after your hiatus that you don’t have swim through a lot of drech to get to gold

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Yes, there are so many things I want to play now. Around the time that I “quit” gaming is when FPS games were taking over (Halo, Counterstrike, COD etc) and I was not coordinated enough to play lol…But now that there’s been a resurgence in platform type games, RPGs, and just all around more creative games I’m way more interested in checking things out! I absolutely love that there are a ton of indie developers now, too.

• alexandra_kollontai [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

lea-bounce

Play CrossCode. Play it.

It’s on PC and Switch; I think the PC version is slightly better and it has a free demo where you play the tutorial section so you can see if it melts your laptop or not.

WhyEssEff, help, I need backup!

• UmbraVivi [he/him, she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Outer Wilds is imo one of the best video games ever, period. Don’t read any reviews, just play it. It’s genuinely a very impactful experience.

Unfortunately you can’t say much about it without diminishing the experience, you kinda just have to recommend it with “Trust me bro” but like… trust me bro

• chillbo_baggins@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

You’ve come back at a great time! There’s lots of solid indie games on Steam that won’t melt your laptop. I gotta recommend Hollow Knight (adventure, platformer) and RimWorld (survival, colony sim) those are probably my personal favorites.

If you like action, try Blasphemous (bloody metroidvania), Enter the Gungeon (guns guns guns), or Rogue Legacy (fast platformer).

I love turn-based stuff too, maybe try Neo Scavenger (hardcore survival) and Wildermyth (roguelike RPG).

🧠 Brain need a workout? Engage with the mysteries of: Her Story, Return of the Obra Dinn, The Stanley Parable, or The Case of the Golden Idol. I tore through a bunch of Steam mystery games a while back, and those are the ones that really stuck in my head. Enjoy!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Awesome thank you! I really love rpg’s, I may spring for Octopath Traveler but I don’t know if I’m ready for an 80+ hour game yet lol. Adding those all to my wishlist!

• chillbo_baggins@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

My humble opinion: I played Octopath, but I didn’t finish it. The graphics are COOL, but the combat gets repetitive. Also the story is wack, the main characters don’t really interact with each other outside of like a handful of cutscenes. (it’s just odd)

If you like jrpgs, I just started playing Jack Move, I really like it so far!

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Ah, that’s a bummer. I did read a lot of mixed reviews but I’m such a sucker for SquareEnix…But their storylines are a big part of what makes them so great, so maybe I’ll pass on that 60 dollar investment. I will add Jack Move to my wishlist, though!

• Comp4 [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Maybe try “Don´t Starve” ? Its different but it got a similar vibe. There is also a version that you can play with multiple people.

• Sandinband [any, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Don’t starve together just did a crossover with cult of the lamb! Admittedly the dont starve side is mostly just skins…

Still my favorite game though. Also if you know someone with dont starve together you get a free copy when you buy one so they can just gift it to you

• Blastasaurus@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I came out of retirement after 20 years last summer and “Ori and the Will of the Wisps” and “Hollow Knight” have probably been my favourite. I think you can get both for switch, and both may run on a simple laptop fine (?)

• abc [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

If you like the base-building/resource management aspect of it, definitely check out something like Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress’ Steam release (both are on Steam and neither are terribly intensive to a point where you’d be unable to play on like the presumable Intel HD Graphics you’re working with - Rimworld’s min requirements are literally like Windows XP and 2gb RAM. Dwarf Fortress is arguably where you’d maybe run into problems but even then, I think you’d really have to have a ton of dwarves/items/etc on a large map)

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The Bird’s eye view of some parts remind me of Hotline Miami lol. Added to wishlist! My laptop can handle For the King and Cult of the Lamb fine so hopefully I’ll be fine

• abc [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Moonlighter is also a decent one - its more akin to the roguelike part of Cult, where you play as a shopkeeper for adventurers and have to delve into a dungeon to find the stuff you sell. It’s on sale rn for $3 on Steam so I’d definitely check it out if that sounds up your alley!

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I just started playing Moonlighter last night, it’s pretty addicting so far. I like that you can teleport out of the dungeons…I do not have the best video gaming dexterity lol so it’s nice to not have the frustration of losing over and over…Except for a second I couldn’t beat the first boss and checked the difficulty and I was on NORMAL! I did however finally remember to switch equipment though and that helped lol. It’s the little things

• FourteenEyes [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I always put out a rec for Starsector, an awesome indie space RPG where you build a fleet and manage your colonies and have real-time ship combat. Hollow Knight is a fantastic metroidvania and has a visual style similar to Cult of the Lamb. If you like boomer shooters then DUSK and Amid Evil are both must-plays. Brigador is an awesome isometric mech game, all 2D sprites. SIGNALIS is one I played recently, it’s amazing. Dark and gut-wrenching with some amazing PS1-style aesthetics.

There’s a bunch of amazing indie games out there tbh

• Moonguide@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I haven’t played CotL, but if you like the management side of it, plus the storytelling of following a single person out of a group full of personalities, Rimworld might interest you. It’s like an ant farm, except every ant is different (different preferences and goals, different social relationships, diff skills and passions, etc), and on a backwater planet. It’s kind of like a space western, but it can be anything you like, with mods. Rn I’m running a multigenerational playthrough, from neolithic to spacer. Gotten to medieval. Last game was psyker cowboys. The one before that anarcho communist vampires. Think for my next one I’ll do a fish cult pirate faction.