Didn’t you have time to watch any this week, life has been busy, but I’m sure you all have, so let’s discuss!

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Interesting, thanks for the suggestion!

• maegul@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Rewatched Jurassic Park (it’s roughly its 30th anniversary) … that shit holds up well, better than I expected and I’m a fan. I don’t think I’d watched it all the way through for quite a long time, but I saw it in the cinema as a kid, it thrilled me then and was awesome again now.

Sometimes you forget how “woke” some older mainstream media is/was. Like there’s vegetarianism, anti-capitalism, feminism “humanity is the real monster” and environmentalism in that film. And cool dinosaurs too.

• Papercrane@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Only movie I watched was Dobermann a french 90s trashy action gangster movie. Very fun to watch, would recommend

• BertramDitore@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Yeah, I watched that a while ago, and damn the CGI contractors must have been abused and underpaid or something. Some of the worst CGI I’ve seen in years. Stuff from 15-20 years ago was more convincing. I don’t blame the artists at all, I doubt they would choose to release something like that if they had any real power over their work.

• Jordan Lund@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I actually laughed out loud at the Babies in Danger^tm scene. I’m not sure it was supposed to be THAT funny, but the CGI was so awful you couldn’t NOT laugh at it.

I think they blew the budget on making the two Ezra’s look decent.

But then Blue Beetle comes in with 1/2 the budget and blows the roof off the joint.

• Jordan Lund@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

There were parts of it that were well done. Having the two Barry’s, one older, one younger, was absolutely believable. Later adding Dark Flash also worked. Michael Keaton Batman was fantastic. As you say, Supergirl was excellent.

But the only way to enjoy it is to look past the really awful VFX shots. I give them total props for putting in George Reeves, Adam West, Christopher Reeve, Helen Slater, and freakin’ Nicholas Cage fighting a giant spider… but man… the shots were plastic. Some kid could have done a better job with action figures.

Even if you want to argue that the Time Bubble/Cross Universe stuff is supposed to look distorted, that still doesn’t excuse the Babies in Danger^TM sequence.

• neamhsplach@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I just dived into some Linklater too! I watched Before Sunrise and Me and Orson Welles. I love Linklater’s portrayals of youthful optimism. They make me excited for the future.

• B0NK3RS@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

The Red Turtle

Basically, we saw a giant turtle and Studio Ghibli so decided to watch. I was with my youngest daughter and we both enjoyed it a lot.

• JimmyChanga@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Not exactly a new release but got round to watching The Darkest Hour. Gary Oldman’s Winston Churchill was great.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I still have to watch it, but the make up looks amazing

• Redoomed@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I watched The Dark Knight (2008) for the first time just now. It was a film that I wanted to watch for a while.

Aside from the Two-Face scenes, which get old very quickly, I think that the Dark Knight is an absolute banger of a film.

• MusketeerX@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I watched Amsterdam, a 2022 comedy/mystery set in the 1930s, starring Margot Robbie and Christian Bale and a big cast of others including Mike Myers, Rami Malek, Robert De Niro and Chris Rock.

It is loosely based on The Business Plot, an actual political conspiracy in the US in the 1930s. I’d never heard of this before.

It was an interesting and ‘different than the usual’ type of movie. A lot of the focus was on the witty dialogue between characters. Pretty nice movie visually too. Overall I enjoyed it and would give it about 7/10.

• N-E-N@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Babylon feels like a similar style too, altho tbh I much prefer Babylon

• keyez@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Babylon is infinitely better and better executed though they might seem similar. I was put off by the trailer for Babylon just seeming like a big ensemble cast and 1920s extravagance movie but I loved it and showed how shallow Amsterdam was IMO.

• Ansis@iusearchlinux.fyi
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Always wanted to see Airplane!, finally got around to it. Gotta say, it was one of the funniest comedies I’ve watched.

• slugger@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Watched “All the Beauty and the Bloodshed (2022)”. An artist’s tough life growing up in rural American in the 50s, and her raise to fame living in New York. Her life story is told as back drop to her fight to have the Sacklers’ (family behind the marketing of Oxycodone as a “safe” drug and resulting opioid epidemic) name removed from Art galleries around the world.

• Very_Bad_Janet@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It certainly stayed true to its roots, maybe too much so (it took a long time to get where it was going, just like most late 60s movies). I would’ve said the movie was meandering and meh but the last 10 minutes were my favorite 10 minutes in any movie this year.

I just finished Destination Wedding and I should’ve hated it. I thought it was going to be a sunny, goofy romcom but instead it was like the poor man’s Woody Allen. Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder were playing way far against type, seemingly miscast. But I enjoyed seeing them in such different roles playing relentlessly miserable weirdos. Their sex scene was the best at being the worst.