fairytale fabricated by tech grifters […] the energy density of petrol is still so much higher than a modern Lithium-ion battery, how can electric vehicles be viable competitors? Simple, they cheat. […] we’ve been gaslit […] extra weight makes them far more dangerous in a crash and it means that you’re wasting a lot of energy […] doubling the weight does 16x the damage to the roads

• bob_lemon@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

From skimming this article, there’s nothing in it that is not already widely known and acknowledged by the so-called “tech grifters”.

And many of these issues tend to get blown up quite a bit.

Reach is a matter of charging infrastructure. 400km seems like a good point to have an extended break anyway.

Weight is an issue with little way to mitigate, but it’s not like there’s a shortage of huge and heavy vehicles in general. So while this is inherent to EVs, it’s far from exclusive.

Finally, the reason for switching to EVs it’s not that they’re inherently better than fossil fuel burning vehicles in every way. It’s that they’re better in the single very most important criterion: carbon emissions.

• ChrislyBear@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

It’s that they’re better in the single very most important criterion: carbon emissions.

Tell that to the caloric power plant you get your power from (be it gas, coal or whatever is used to produce the steam). Or maybe to the battery production plant or the car recycling place?

• Liquid_Fire@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m sure they’re more efficient than the one in my car, and are at any rate being replaced. At this very moment (obviously it’s not representative as it’s a windy day) 50% of UK electricity production is wind and only 12% fossil fuels.

• a4ng3l@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I have been 100% charging my ev6 from my solar panels since I got it. And according to the massive amount of solar panels around me I guess I’m not the only one. Also, wind everywhere despite all the rage that gets from karens that can feel turbines in their heads.

Also we never hear about the carbon cost of getting fuel to cars… it also requires transportation and transformation at some point.

• Leviathan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Our power here is 100% wind and hydro and we even supply parts or NY state, has been for a long time. Maybe all this energy wasted in fighting EVs would be far better spent fighting to reform energy infrastructure in your area.

• Malossi167@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

extra weight makes them far more dangerous in a crash

If this would be really a concern to many people we should also rule out SUVs and the like. They weigh often over 2t. A Tesla Model 3 weighs 1.7-1.9t.

• DigiDali@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Yes, but RTFM!

Volvo S60 has a curb weight of 1,614 kg. The Tesla Model S that breaks 400 miles has a curb weight of 2,261 kg, over half a ton heavier, more than a Range Rover.

• Malossi167@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

It should be noted, that the Model S is also a larger vehicle. The Model 3 is much closer in weight, lenght and offers also 5 seats and a similar amount of trunk space. But yes, in general, electric vehicles are heavier thanks to the weight of the battery. roughly ~300kg extra. (yes, the pack weighs even more but it also serves a structural purpose in many EVs.

more than a Range Rover.

Really depends on the model. A base model Evoque yes, a Defender is pretty much in the same weight class.

• Sallen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It’s astonishing the amount of people not understanding that EVs are not a mature technology at all and the goal of all of this is to make the market grow to improve research and industry.

Yes lithium pollutes but no, the mid term goal is not to keep making batteries out of it.

Same for batteries mass and volume.

Not saying that EVs are perfectly clean tho, don’t get me wrong.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Prices ARE coming down. You can get a 250mi / 400km fast charging Bolt EV for under $27.5 USD now. And you can get a $7.5k tax credit on top of that in the states. That’s pretty damn competitive, especially given that inflation raised the prices of vehicles.

• BCsven@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There was a new battery technology announced this year where they can double the watt density. first applications will be for space, then cellphones, etc. Electric cars will get lghter and have further range over time as new storage methods are developed. just like ICE enhanced over time.