ONCE AND FOR ALL!

• deejay4am@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just one small problem, Ben. Where’s the heat from the condenser going to go?! FUCKING AQUAMAN?!?

• scutiger@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think the purpose isn’t to directly cool the planet, but the ice has much higher reflectivity and absorbs less heat from the sun compared to the ocean.

If this thing can produce ice at a large enough scale, it could have a real effect. However that doesn’t solve the issue of those gaseous dudes beating up the escaping heat men and trapping them in.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Solving climate change with a digital tech demo hosted on a GoFundMe page is a worse idea than even comedy writers could come up with

• krackalot@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m guessing the goal is to convince a few people on the edge that we’ve already solved it, so they care less. Slowing down the movements progress ever so slightly.

• VoxAdActa@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This sounds like one of those ideas on the level of “If we punch another hole in the ozone layer, the greenhouse gasses can escape!”

• 2d@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Saw a study recently that placed refrigeration management as one of the most impactful things regarding climate change… pretty sure that doing it on a big scale is a horrible idea

• Invalid@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

No, it’s not possible unless the heat is being transferred outside of Earth and that requires a ton of energy. Also Kyle Hill did a video where he did the math and the cube required would be over 30 km^3

• rocketpoweredredneck@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh, so I could just make a bunch of ice cubes in my fridge and throw them in the ocean! It would only take me the rest of life to make one of these at home!

• Kowowow@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

ooh I wanted to make something like this but use a hyper-reflective surface(that sends IR rays into space causing a net heat loss) to cool the water, I was more planning for it to be in warmer waters and “push” the water though a heat sink using tesla valves but those might not have been needed

• SuperSloth@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I think letting freon leak into the atmosphere was actually reversing global warming so Big Air Conditioner started making up lies about “CFCs”.

• gerowen@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I wonder if they realize that, according to the laws of physics and thermodynamics, the amount of heat and energy they consume and put into the world in order to produce those ice blocks, actually exceeds the amount they’re removing. So making ice blocks might help in the short term, but in the long term, they might actually make it worse, if not for the arctic, than for other places on the planet. Unless they’re doing other stuff like planting trees, the best they could ever hope for is to simply break even; to cancel themselves out.

• BasicTraveler@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The ice isn’t to cool the water, the ice is to reflect most of the incoming light.

Sea ice keeps the polar regions cool and helps moderate global climate. Sea ice has a much brighter surface compared to many other Earth surfaces, particularly the surrounding ocean. The darker ocean reflects only 6 percent of the sun’s energy and absorbs the rest, while sea ice reflects 50 to 70 percent of the incoming energy.

-- https://nsidc.org/learn/parts-cryosphere/sea-ice/quick-facts-about-sea-ice

• PhineaZ@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thank you very much, i was looking for this comment. The issue with 1°, 1.5°, 2° C of warming is that at some point you will break a critical level where the process is greatly accelerated because less/no sunlight is reflected by the ice caps, further increasing the energy absorption. This is especially apparent in Greenland and the Alps (and probably other glaciers), where the uncovered earth now absorbs WAY more light than the sheets of ice did, thus essentially making the melting process irreversible (at least in our comprehension).

• Invalid@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I suppose but if you are reflecting it into greenhouse gases then the air temperatures go up instead.

• BasicTraveler@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Not really. Greenhouse gases don’t absorb all wavelengths of light. Generally they only absorb parts of the IR spectrum. The 50-70% of light reflected isn’t absorbed by greenhouse gasses because it’s not in a wavelength that it can absorb, it mostly radiates back into space.