• micka190@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Year of the enshitification, more like.

It feels like every company just decided 2023 was the year they finally pulled the trigger and tried to cash-out and bail.

• thantik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

With Plex adding “Live TV” and all the other shit for the past 6 years, their enshittification isn’t new. Most people I know still on Plex are only doing so because they paid for a lifetime pass. They’re full on sunk-cost-fallacy.

• Z4rK@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Still not worth, I have a lifetime plex pass but have switched 100% to Jellyfin now. Enshittification was part of it, but their response to the privacy hack was the last straw.

• _TK@lemmy.antemeridiem.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’m still on Plex because the app experience just isn’t there on Jellyfin yet. It’s close, but switching audio/subtitle tracks is not as intuitive or straightforward as I want yet. I’m thinking it will probably be ready for my server in a year or two.

• thantik@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

Really? I hit the subtitle track button on my remote and select english, and that’s only for not-automatically chosen files whenever that happens. I watch a fuckton of Animes and 95% of the time it’s automatically chosen. I’m using an Android TV client though.

Ditto for audio - I hit the little Music Note icon, and every audio track is there for me to select.

• _TK@lemmy.antemeridiem.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Might be that the Roku app is/wasn’t quite up to the same standard as the Android TV one. I also remember not liking how they handled something in their official Android app, but it’s been six months. I honestly don’t remember. I just have a reminder to check it out again next summer.

• thantik@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

Ah, I can’t stand advertisements so I couldn’t put up with Roku equipment. Ads everywhere. And yeah, since “Roku OS” is proprietary, it probably didn’t see the same adoption as more standard stuff (Like, even just FireTV sticks are Android at least, so the vanilla client works on those)

• warmaster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

This, I paid their lifetime Plex pass at a huge discount and bailed on it when they started adding shit and ruining it. Jellyfin since then.

• MrPoopbutt@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Signs we are going to have another pandemic? Is this like a general “we know we aren’t prepared” or like “there is a virus outbreak that hasn’t hit the media yet”?

• pdxfed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Tech has always been geared towards losing money to provide a valuable service but the understanding from investors who don’t loan for free is that at some point you turn on the profit engine. Some tech companies are able to generate revenue without necessarily making their product awful for users, but the more pull and pressure investors have, and the more driven by impatience, the enshittifier things become.

The Fed turning off the free money tap last year by starting to raise interest rates was an inevitable wake up call for investors that they needed to change their model to start profiting or at least lose less. Many, many companies, users and products are experiencing US’s investors-first-and-only capitalism’s inevitable end; it destroys the good it created. Companies without long-term investors or leverage to hold off investors willing to kill the golden goose either enshittify, or if they don’t have a way to enshittify, go under.

• sirboozebum@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Interest rates went up and the flood of money from investors went down.

Investors are probably demanding a return on their massive amounts of speculative investing in the tech industry.

• Alien Nathan Edward@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

There seems to be a pattern in services like this where they launch as a good idea that’s under priced and take off like a rocket, then growth levels off as everyone is either already using the service or never will regardless of what they do. Once you reach that point, however, you still need to show revenue growth because capitalism, so if you can’t get more users you either have to make the service more expensive for the users you have, or cheaper to run. The former we see happening all over the place, and the latter is actually a good thing in limited amounts as unnecessary parts are trimmed off, but will almost always also result in useful features being axed. Hence why everything seems to be getting more expensive and worse.

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s great. Clean, minimal. Love it. Plex is like a titanic. Way too much heft for me. It’s also corporate, so hard pass

• mrsgamedev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve got gigs of music and rip all my Blu-rays. Jellyfin was a shock! Runs so much smoother, streaming faster. I had no idea streaming over my network can be effectively lag free. It’s also nice having a choice of players, some work better for Android Auto, some better on my Windows desktop etc.

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The scrubbing in Jelly is insanely snappy to me. My existing player hooks right into and even has a sync extension that makes it all even snappier.

I was running a samba share before but moving to a proper media server opened up another world. Also love how easy it is to edit metadata and even add to it (I’ve opened a moviedb account adding missing covers and other art).

• conc@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Unfortunately Plex is a catchy name though. I’ve been with Jelly for a few years now and still call it Plex sometimes

• CosmicTurtle@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I made the switch this week. Jellyfin took about 10 minutes to set up and left it overnight to scan my files. I only had to make a few corrections.

You can always try it out in a VM or container or even run both at once.

You can cast it onto a chrome cast though I haven’t tried this yet.

• Bye@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Yeah exactly. My girlfriend is not tech savvy. It needs to be as easy as Netflix, meaning I need it to run on the smart tv.

• Owljfien@iusearchlinux.fyi
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Casting is as easy as it is on plex, I have a plex lifetime pass and can’t think of anything useful it does that jellyfin can’t do too.

• quinkin@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I use the jellyfish app on both chrome tv and fire tv sticks. Works great. I did have one issue and had to set the default playback in both apps to something (internal?) to fix some audio sync issues.

• GlitzyArmrest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I would love to switch but there’s two things stopping me: Less support (if any?) for multi-users and remote access, and less app support especially when transcoding is needed. Also would be nice to not lose Overseerr when switching, I’m sure there’s a fork of that though.

• maxprime@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Putting Jellyfin behind a reverse proxy and making multiple users are both well supported features.

And wait until you hear about Jellyseer!

• ayaya@lemdro.id
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

And while there is less app support in terms of clients the transcoding is actually better. It doesn’t need a Plex Pass for hardware transcoding and it has way more options. You can do things like encode in H.265 (if the client supports it) and fine tune the tonemapping for HDR.

• ayaya@lemdro.id
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

On desktop there is sonixd and its rewrite feishin. I prefer sonixd for now but feishin will probably be better as developmenrt continues. On mobile there are a lot of options if you search. The obvious one being Finamp which is very simple but solid. Although I am a big fan of Symfonium even though it’s not FOSS.

• paholg@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Can I make an account for someone without knowing their password?

Last I tried, literally the only way to create a user was to enter a password. Without something like an email or link to create an account remotely, it’s a non-starter for me.

• killeronthecorner@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This is virtually akin to banning AWS or DO. Hetzner are a legitimate and widely used cloud platform.

This is akin to Google blocking Verizon because of some spam calls. A ridiculous premise that shows huge immaturity on Plex’s part.

• ares35@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

"a large number of Plex users use the software in violation of its Terms of Service (section “Content and Acceptable Use”, bullet items 1 and/or 6), therefore all users will henceforth be banned from using Plex."

• Bobby Turkalino@lemmy.yachts
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Nah, actually we as the plex community need to pull our heads out of our asses and remember that the internet was doing just fine before cloud service providers came along.

If you’re not self-hosting, it’s not your server.

• killeronthecorner@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Pirates will move to self hosted if they can still turn a profit, which they can.

Self hosting is easy and convenient and doesn’t require a lot of technical knowledge. Plex are literally harming their own business model by driving away non-technical users with a sledgehammer solution that no one likes.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I suspect Plex have a bunch of scary letters from expensive lawyers sat in their office, and this is what they need to do to make them go away.

• echo64@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Feels like plex are heading towards removing sharing media altogether. I wouldn’t use it if they removed that functionality.

• thantik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Jellyfin is Emby minus the cost. Literally a fork of Emby that has far surpassed it at this point. Emby did that thing where they took an open source project and locked it behind a paywall for access, and I won’t support the Rent-your-software model.

• leotonius@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’m legitimately curious as to what has changed with Jellyfin, with comparing to Emby, that would make this statement true: “that has far surpassed it at this point”

• thantik@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

That’s more on the featureset that’s available without having to rent it from Emby. Hardware Transcoding, DVR, Live TV, Cinema Intros, Automatic Metadata, Offline Files, that kind of thing.

• English Mobster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Does Jellyfin allow you to bring in your music libraries?

Also, does Jellyfin have Samsung TV clients, or do you need to cast from your phone? I’ve been trying to de-Google myself and I don’t want to have to keep investing in Chromecasts, and part of the reason why I’ve stuck with Plex is because their app is everywhere.

• thantik@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

https://github.com/jeppevinkel/jellyfin-tizen-builds – No way around having to enable developer mode for Samsung TVs, sadly, but they do have a client.

Jellyfin also does Music and Ebooks. – I don’t know how well it does this though, as I don’t have Jellyfin manage my music, I just use Pandora because I’m too lazy to curate ‘stations’ and make track lists and stuff.

• thantik@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I think Jellyfin is lacking an Xbox client, maybe a WebOS client, and I run Jellyfin behind a reverse proxy with Caddy for automatic SSL, so it’s best to run it behind a subdomain imho. I wildcard my subdomain so that it doesn’t show up in publicly available SSL certs. One of the big downsides (I’m not going to lie to you here) is that there is no central login authority, so you can’t get to your instance ‘blindly’ like you can on Plex. (where Plex kind of proxies your traffic to your instance) - but that’s a plus to me, because I don’t want someone MITM-ing my collection.

• SirEDCaLot@lemmy.fmhy.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Okay so serious question here.

Why does Plex get to make this decision?

I don’t use Plex. But if they CAN do this, it seems to me there must be some unnecessary cloud dependence in Plex.

A good media server IMHO does not need a cloud connection, it should just work on your local network.

• waitmarks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

yes, they have a centralized login system. It’s my biggest issue with plex and why i am experimenting with switching to jellyfin.

• Atropos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve been running Jellyfin since around it’s inception - highly recommend! Not quite as feature heavy as Plex yet, but an excellent community.

• protput@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Do you also have experience with Emby? Not sure yet on what to choose. Guess I’m going to try them both.

• SirEDCaLot@lemmy.fmhy.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

And that really bugs.
        I keep all my media sorted in folders (old school I know). I went to try Plex once a few years back. It launched right into making an account and setting up remote access. Never was clear what if any access Plex mothership has to my media library- does that include filenames, file contents, everything? Sorry but do not want. I VPN back home, don’t need the cloud BS.

• ThrowawayOnLemmy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

While I can totally sympathize with a company needing to take measures to curtail piracy and appease property owners, this is like burning down a house to put our a candle.

I personally self host so this won’t be a problem for me, but they’re gonna hit a lot of people who hosted at this domain, that weren’t participating in illegal activities.

I guess Plex must have saw it as prevalent enough to warrant a total ban, it was either really bad, or they’re being overzealous.

• CALIGVLA@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

To be frank, how do you even use Plex without pirating? Ripping your own DVDs and Blurays? And if so, isn’t that sort of considered piracy by the powers that be?

• Nawor3565@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Yes, and no. In theory, you could absolutely “back up” any physical media you have to prevent wear and tear to the disc, which is a completely legitimate use case. And it’s not considered piracy because by buying that media, you purchased the legal rights to use it for personal viewing. However, if you ever gave a copy of that rip to another person (or gave that disc away to someone else without deleting your rips), you would be commiting piracy.

In fact, I believe that even viewing the media alongside another person is technically not allowed, although clearly that’s not enforced unless you’re doing some sort of public showing.

• PlasticExistence@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

In the USA at least, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act made circumventing copy protection mechanisms illegal. Basically every DVD and Blu-ray disc implements those, so every backup copy we make is illegal even though it should be covered by fair use.

They stripped us of our rights and made protecting our purchases illegal through the back door, so we have the moral obligation to ignore that law.

• Overzeetop@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I have a mix. Ripping your own is in line with format shifting. Putting a cad into a cassette for use in your car that didn’t have a cd player is the old school equivalent. I believe it is a valid fair use case.

• alianne@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I use it for my own dvds/blu-rays, yeah. This is technically still considered piracy, but my personal view is that I’m fine paying for something once because the people who made it deserve to get paid, but I’m not fine paying for the same thing multiple times when the effort on their end to make the new version was basically zero. It would be one thing if there were physical costs like going from vhs to dvd, but that’s not the case here.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

There is free content on Plex now. You could never pirate a single movie and still have content.

• ares35@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

that alone isn’t worth ‘yet another app’

it’s titles that are also on other services (including free or ‘ad supported’–and ones which work with ubo and/or pihole) or titles that seem to rotate frequently and continually between several services.

• JasSmith@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Some people are quite shameless about selling Plex access, but playing hosting whack-a-mole is a losing game.

• daniskarma@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Why use plex when jellyfin exist?

I’m more than happy with my jellyfin server knowing nobody can block it against my will.

• quantum_mechanic@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Good. There are people out there who ruin all the nice things. Just host your own damn server and download your own content like a normal person.

• Stuka@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I get why lemmy loves jellyfin…but its odd to me that plex is so often preferred over emby. I much prefer the latter for several reasons…but actually working offline out of the box is one of the top.