• Domi@lemmy.secnd.me
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

In case you didn’t know, you can use gamescope to get HDR on Linux desktop right now if you start it from a TTY.

Have been using it for a while and it works really well besides the TTY restriction.

• Lewdiculous@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I would switch to Linux in the desktop if SteamOS was polished for it.

Gaming and modding on Windows is already full of caveats, I’d only be willing to jump into that with Linux if there was a widely adopted and supported OS there to make sure the mod compatibility and UX was better.

• MJBrune@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

It’s said how this is now being called Steam Deck OS. It was originally Steam OS and a desktop OS but now it’s Steam Deck OS and no desktop release is in sight. In fact, it seems like it’s against Valve’s supported path to put it on a desktop. Kind of a bummer that the desktop world won’t get a well supported gaming desktop Linux distro for the foreseeable future.

• MJBrune@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I don’t see your point. The fact is that they are rebranding it to Steam Deck OS. Clearly they are still calling it SteamOS in places but it’s still not actually SteamOS. It’s steam’s OS for steam deck. Steam Deck OS. No longer is it an OS for desktops or laptops but instead handhelds.

• Nefyedardu@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

The fact is that they are rebranding it to Steam Deck OS.

As far as I know they’ve said nothing about that. It’s reasonable to say that the title is a typo for a couple reasons.

1. They’ve stated they want SteamOS on third-party devices before
          2. There’s also the rumored VR headset running SteamOS as well

Two use cases for the OS that have nothing to do with Steam Deck, so “Steam Deck OS” makes no sense as a name. I personally think they are waiting for Plasma 6+HDR support+VR support before they ship a desktop version, it’s important to have feature-parity with Windows out the gate for good word-of-mouth.

• ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Please give us sources. It clearly has a Desktop, it clearly names SteamOS 3.5 and it clearly is for Handhels too.

• MJBrune@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

It’s not a desktop operating system outside of the steam deck hardware, it’s not installable outside of the steam deck. They have no support currently for steam os desktop usage outside of a steam deck docked. This https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download?ver=steamdeck is the only way to get a copy of the steam deck OS and it clearly marked as only supporting the steam deck not a desktop computer. “It has a desktop” is not really the point, I’m talking about PCs.

Also, it’s not a typo: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200

• ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

What about next time just giving the source and your opinioms instead just saying thoughts without reference to anything.

Dude you looked like you are a schizo who hasnt took his pills. Now I understand what you mean and everybody else finally understands your thoughts.

But for me, yeah its for now a Steam Deck OS but I hope they still plan to get it out for other devices. I didn’t like your wording for “not a Desktop OS” as the Steam Deck clearly is a Desktop device even without Docking station. Just put it somewhere and connect Bluetooth Keyboard or Mouse.

• Janne Moren@fosstodon.org
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

@ReakDuck @MJBrune
                SteamOS is a spin off Arch aimed very specifically at the steam deck and nothing else. The desktop is nice but incomplete; try setting up a fully working japanese input method for example; or a full, modern gcc compiler chain.

In some future they may make a distro release aimed at a wider range of hardware. But until then it’s not a general purpose desktop OS and it’s doing them a disservice trying to pretend it is.

• ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

I don’t understand why you shouldn’t be able to do it. The last resort would always be to install a Virtual Machine, distrobox or whatever. Not sure about Japanese input. Thought it would work as they stated they support it.

• MJBrune@beehaw.org
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

This feels more like a generational thing or something because if I mention to my co-workers or friends that “my desktop isn’t working” they don’t think “oh your steam deck won’t go into desktop mode?” No, they think “That big block computer with a large motherboard isn’t functioning properly?”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_computer This thing. So when I say “Desktop OS” I don’t expect anyone to think anything other than the OS that runs on a desktop computer.

• ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  9 months ago

Well, now I understand what a Desktop computer is. But it doesn’t change the fact that the Steam Deck can be one in docked mode.

Just because the default OS isn’t what you have on your daily machine and also doesn’t have this cool “Media mode” some people refer to Gaming mode, doesn’t make it less of a Hardware it already is. Just install Windows of it and stop removed about it.