• malloc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Cost of living (COL) is relative to the area …

I suspect you live in some small town or rural area

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I really don’t, but I’m also not dumb enough to try to rent in Hollywood. I live along the Baltimore-Philly-NYC corridor. Not exactly the middle of nowhere. Housing prices are insane since the pandemic here too, but not nearly as insane as spending $2000 a month to rent a bunk bed and a desk. (No word on what his gym membership costs, either.) As others have said here in these comments, they’re getting whole apartments for the same or not much more money. At that rate, Ikea will sell you a desk; all you gotta do is ask. That’s a $600/month come up right there, compared to this lunacy.

Even at today’s ludicrous interest rates, the mortgage on a half a million dollar home is somewhere around $2807 monthly, principal and interest. For someone willing to spend $2000 a month on nothing, that doesn’t sound like much of a stretch to me. Normal suburban homes around here have settled down to $350-550k, or you can buy a condo for a little over $100k. Spend less, pay less.

Seems to me homeboy works remotely. Does he actually need to have a Hollywood address? I’ll bet you he doesn’t. Even if you want to be “minimalist,” or whatever the fuck, a van to sleep in the back of or a trailer on the outskirts of town will still be yours after you’re done paying for it. FFS.

• TheTetrapod@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Just a note that while most mortgages are cheaper than most rental rates, the down payment is the hard part. I’d love to spend 1500 dollars a month on some crapshack that I can remodel myself, but having to scrape together tens of thousands of dollars is an almost insurmountable roadblock.

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

To be fair a desk isn’t just a desk at shared workspaces. You’re paying for a receptionist, phone hookup, business mail delivery, and pretty much all of the ancillary stuff a company would provide. Some people can just literally roll out of bed and boot their laptop up. Other people need professional spaces to take meetings in and whatnot.

• sin_free_for_00_days@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Hollywood sucks, the only time I’ve been there in the past couple decades is when someone visits and wants to see it. But it does have some interesting things to do there. I’ve also lived in a couple small, rural towns. While a lot of small, rural towns would be preferable to Hollywood, honestly a lot of them wouldn’t.