• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

That do be how it is when this starts. Right now, if you’re a power user, it’s appealing to make a new community for something you want to post. To expand the breath of the content on lemmy.

But, hopefully, stuff will get consolidated over time, and the larger amount of communities will make lemmy more welcoming next time there’s a wave of users.

ATM, I’m just posting at a steady pace that I feel I can maintain for the long haul, to keep the things I want to see on lemmy, alive.

Edit: Thanks for pretty_women in particular. It’s a content type I don’t post, but do love to see. You’ll always get upvotes from me.

• SpaceBar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I mod 9 communities. It’s quieted down a lot, but I’m not working hard to drive engagement and content back up right now.

The mod tools are practically non-existent, so why should I work to bring a community to a place where I won’t be able to manage it?

I need to see a feed of just what I moderate so I can scan all comments for issues. It’s not realistic to read every post one by one.

There needs to be options for minimum 'karma" score so a new user can’t just pop in and spam.

There are other needs that have been discussed in other threads already, but that’s my biggest gripe.

• wit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Indeed, mod tools are something that seriously need working. I dunno if they are working on it. Hopefully yes.

Regardless, please do create content and try to improve lemmy!

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I mod a lot of stuff…

!gameart@sopuli.xyz is approaching 1k subs, and !streetmoe@ani.social recently crossed 100 subs, meaning all the “moe” communities I’m trying to get started now have at least 100 subs.

I’m also around on !titanfall@lemmy.world and !linux@sopuli.xyz.

!overlord@sopuli.xyz might come alive once the movie drops, and !helltaker@sopuli.xyz is a place I’m keeping warm for any other fans looking for a place for the fandom. But there is unlikely to be more happening around that game.

• starman@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

On most of communities I moderate, almost all content comes from me. I hope that this will change.

• Blaze
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I mod a few communities, they are doing well so far

• Otter@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’m moderating a handful of communities, most of which I want to get going and a few that I’m keeping an eye on till someone else takes over (ex. Provinces/territories)

Some communities have hit the threshold, and others I’m working to get rolling still. The mod tools though are very ineffective, and any post that spirals will take a long time to clean up. You need to open the post and systematically remove content in the correct order else you lose access to rule breaking content.

If the communities were half as big as Reddit, I don’t think we could keep them clean

• Mighty Weaksauce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I started a few communities and it’s hilarious to me which ones are doing well and which ones aren’t. I start a community about the popular tv show Survivor, zero interaction and a surprising amount of negativity and downvotes for some reason.

Then I have a joke one about doing household dishes and people seem to love it. I get interaction, other users posting content, lots of upvotes, and a few confused people wondering why the community even exists.

I generate most of the content on my communities but I keep the amount at a level I can handle daily without stress. Here’s to hoping for more original content from other community users soon :)

• wit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I am a mod at !gaybros@lemmy.world. I wish there was more content, but it is not bad.Lemmy is still at the start.

Hopefully more and more users start seeing the benefit of having a platform that is not enriching the wallets of the shareholders and is instead something by the users for the users.

• Phlogiston@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I am trying hard to get !geocaching@lemmy.world going, although I’m not a mod myself. Subscriber numbers are growing, but it’s still rare that someone else posts. I just try to keep plugging away at a sustainable pace. Luckily I have a repository of pictures and stories to share, which dates back several years

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I started similarly on Reddit as a sort of power user on a couple subs such as altcomix and bandedessinee. It can be a borderline thankless job, but still, it feels good to help grow a community as a productive member.

After the great Spez-out, I started a parallel community here on Lemmy called !eurographicnovels@lemm.ee, and I’m happy with how it’s going so far. 270 total subscribers after less than two months, and most days I contribute two posts of material, partly from my archive and partly new stuff I find. Hopefully the community ‘takes off’ at some point, i.e. with actively posting users. I understand it takes time, though.

Anyway, I salute you for being such a good contributor. All our little communities need people like you. :-)

• Ada@lemmy.blahaj.zoneM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I moderate a few, but only three of them are really active enough to require any kind of active moderation. But the fact that reports don’t federate properly for communities hosted on remote instances is a real pain in the rear

• Call me Lenny/Leni@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’m a mod in many places. A mod of several Tumblr groups (most of them for conflict resolution), of this Discord server, of a now-dead DeviantArt group that used to be very popular (you could say the popularity broke it), and of a Gab group I’m probably going to delete soon, among others. Most recently I was hired as a mod for !casualconversation@lemmy.world and I think this made me the happiest, I’ve enjoyed r/casualconversation and so this feels very special to me. I eternally thank them.

• Blaze
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Really happy to have you on the team!

• PrivateNoob@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I moderate 1 community here, and I had a discussion with other (potentional) members that my reddit reposter bot should be disabled, and instead make our own content, and I yielded to the popular vote.

• RinktheDink@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I have a few hundred subscribers but every post made by a handful of users is immediately downvoted. Not lemmys favorite sub reddit. But its been what I expected and seems like new people join all the time.

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I just started moderating for a hockey community, but it’s very small right now. There are a decent number of subscribers, but not a lot of engagement. I’m trying to add bots with stats and things to enhance the experience and make people want to engage there. But the API I was using to get stats just went through a dramatic change for the first time in 5+ years, and it broke all my code. :(