• comvedml@lemmygrad.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Lol, and then she blamed China for highest carbon emission. She is a western idiot nothing else.

• CriticalResist8@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

It’s not even that, per capita China is far from the biggest polluter. If you put Europe + north America together to reach around the same population, we pollute much more than China by far

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I agree with this and also think we should frame it carefully when taking with liberals.

One of our other talking points, to challenge the idea that individuals recycling their cereal boxes won’t do shit for the climate, is to move the debate from the consumer side to the production side. This is difficult if we then point to China’s emissions and blame western consumers. (I mean, it’s hard not to see it as their fault.)

I’m unsure what the answer is, although I have three interconnected suggestions:

1. It’s the western imperialists who controlled the move of western factories to China. And even though China now has a slice of the pie, the same forces that are happy to run China’s environment are the same people who still control production and distribution over western markets: western imperialists.
        2. Chinese production is a problem, but the CPC is on top of things and is transitioning to a green economy.
        3. Western consumers are to blame because they are happy to be bought off. The same factors that mean they ignore working conditions in the global south also make them happy to ignore environmental degradationb in the global south.

Just some initial thoughts.

• PolandIsAStateOfMind@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yes, but it’s incredibly hard to explain to people not knowing what colonialism and neocolonialism are. Point 2 is usually dismissed by simply don’t beliving it because China bad, and 1st and 3rd while being acknowledged in theory are immediately also handwaved by “and now China is the capitalist/colonizer/polluter”

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Hard agree. And when you put it like that, it is very different looking at the consumer/producer within e.g. France and the consumer/producer within China. Because that’s the thing with China: they have the production but not the consumer (proportionately speaking).