• ComradeSalad@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m going to be honest, that’s just blatantly racist. Great massive overgeneralizations as Dank points out.

But I will agree that media funded activists like Greta are terrible.

• Bugzzy°🍡@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Racism against white people does not exist because racism exists as systemic oppression and white people are not targeted whatsoever by it. Some random guy saying the word cracker online does not hundreds of years of enforced discrimination make.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Yeah… systemic racism…

Just because there’s no systemic racism against whites doesn’t mean that you can’t be racist, stereotypical, or a jerk towards them on an individual level. That not how the concept of racism works.

This is also how inter-minority racism works as well. Black people in America hold no systemic power over Asians or Hispanics, but I have heard things so vile that you would think they were said by a Klan member.

It’s the society that holds the power in the form of systemic racism, but that doesn’t stop the individual from being a horrible person or racist.

• ToastyWaffle@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Hey guys look, another person who doesn’t understand the difference between racism and systemic racism and conflates the two into one idea.

If you honestly don’t think it’s not possible to be racist towards white people, you’re delusional, and probably racist yourself.

Honestly this type of ignorant rhetoric is half the reason you see white people being radicalized to the right, because they’re being gaslit. It’s incredibly destructive and you should educate yourself before saying stuff like this.

• Black Yeonmi Par𝕏@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Hey look, another settler with hurt feelings. Motherfucker they’ve been chalk-outlining us for a hundred sixty years now; plus that if you wanna go back to the slavery that stripped us of our names, cultures, religions, and languages. tl;dr the tears don’t mean shit to me. Not in the face of everything already lost. If they get radicalized to the right, they were always gonna get radicalized; I’m not losing any sleep over them beyond the lock checks.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

I agree, and that’s horrible, but that doesn’t justify being a jerk to people on an individual level.

Also that’s not how brainwashing and radicalization work at all. Do you think children are born racist, Nazis, capitalists, or horrible people? Do you think the children of the Hitler Youth were destined to be Nazis? Or maybe the concept of societal indoctrination works to radicalize and brainwash individuals?

Or is it the systems in place in society that reinforce those ideals and viewpoints?

• Black Yeonmi Par𝕏@lemmygrad.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

Do you think children are born racist, Nazis, capitalists, or horrible people?

I think that there’s fundamentally no difference between being ‘born that way’ and 'the parents indoctrinating their young from literal birth’. It ain’t ‘systemic issues’ that make Becky down the street pick up her phone and call the cops on any subject-of-empire out for a walk; it’s in-house, in-race teaching. This isn’t ‘the system’, this is individuals making choices under an empire that always favored them with the sweat of everyone else’s brow. So forgive me if I look at the displaced weight of hurt feelings, and find the displaced weight of literal thousands of bodies just over the last twenty years to be a little bit heavier.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 year ago

The in-house race teaching you talk about is literally part of systemic racism. That’s what I meant when I said,

“Or is it the systems in place in society that reinforce those ideals and viewpoints?”

Those viewpoints don’t exist naturally, they aren’t inherent to people. They’re taught and reinforced. Those individual actions are WHAT MAKE, the system, because the system rewards and encourages it.

That’s also an extremely American-centric view. If you’re saying that the racism is inherent to the individuals, in this case white people, you extrapolate that across the globe to include everyone that’s white, hence the original “white countries” line. The GDR was white, and born from the literal ashes of NAZI GERMANY, and somehow they did not have this issue on an systemic and individual level. Hell, those same children that were literally raised in the Hitler Youth, became some of the strongest hardline supporters of the communists, and equity measures.

Or the Soviet Union, a predominantly white country born from an Empire that encouraged racism towards the minority and rewarded it. Hence the targeting of Jews, Turks, Muslims, Georgians, etc. But somehow the vestiges of that racism was swept away after intensive effort.

Racism is not inherent to human behavior. We are still apes at heart, whatever is rewarded, we do more of. And what’s rewarding the racism in this situation? The system.

• ToastyWaffle@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

You’re projecting. Just because you’ve been hurt by systemic racism doesn’t give you an excuse to be racist on an interpersonal level. Your rhetoric that those white people were always going to be radicalized to be racist or members of the far right is INSANE. You can pull up any example of ex-klan members who got help and reformed themselves and are even advocates against hate, to prove this isn’t true. A lot of people fall into toxic worldviews because of the conditions they’ve been surrounded by. You’re doing the same conflation of environmental factors as a means of inherent essentialism thought does, when you hear someone say “Black people are inherently more violent because they commit more crime per capita in the US”. The sooner we treat everyone as real human beings, the better, and the sooner everyone can get past the racist and ignorant crimes of the past.

Also I’m not sure why you’re calling me a settler. Would your opinions of what I’m saying be different if I was Black? Latino? Asian? What if I’m actually White? Would you think less of my opinion because I’m White? That’s by definition what Racism is, my friend.

You should really self reflect on what you’re saying.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 year ago

I loved the part when some people of any race are raised or indoctrinated in cults, or racist, sexist, homophobic, or nationalist communities, or even religious extremism, etc, and when they’re exposed to the world and ideas beyond their own they begin to realize that what they’re part of is horrific and then they seek to escape and make amends for their past beliefs.

It’s almost like it’s possible for rehabilitation to occur.

You are quite literally arguing against rehabilitation. And you are using right wing talking points unironically used to target minorities in the United States.

• PeeOnYou@lemmygrad.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

I was raised in poor ass fly over country where the only black people I saw until high school was a family that lived down the street that kept to themselves at all times and avoided us like the plague.

I was a believer in Church and gave my $1 allowance to the church quite often. My dad used to listen to Rush Limbaugh on the radio. We lived very close to an Air Force base so most of the people I knew were affiliated with the military in some fashion. I thought America was #1 and we should just bomb everyone else into the stone age.

As I got older I stopped believing in the hypocrisy of church and saw it for the fairy tales it consists of. I started doing large amounts of drugs including alcohol (it’s a drug not something special). I began stealing. I fantasized about death all day every day. I dropped out of school.

Everyone around me told me I was destined to spend my life in prison or just end up dead very young.

After the thousandth fight with my girlfriend, who went to stay with her parents in Canada for a month over Christmas, I binged harder than I’d binged in a long time. The day before she came back I decided to dry myself out for a week.

I went the week without drinking or drugging. Then I decided to go for another week. Then another. My girlfriend nearly lost her mind with joy after the first week and by the first month it was like we had a new life starting.

We ended up moving to California, far away from the sticks I’d love in my whole life and I really began to see just how incredibly destitute this country really is.

I’ll never not be embarrassed at how ignorant I was thinking this country was what the fairy tales in the propaganda say it was. I met people who had totally different opinions and were from countries that had been and still are being decimated by the US.

I started reading books that I would never have touched before. Howard Ziim’s A People’s History of the United States smashed all my previous programming and made me begin to look critically at everything.

I’m still facing my programed ignorance every day but I’m still learning and changing.

I feel reformed and/or rehabilitated but it never ends. It’s different for us all but we can change.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

I’m happy you’ve come so far, you can live your best life comrade. Its alright to be embarrassed of your past and where you started, but its alright as long as you keep moving forward. Thank you for sharing your story.