link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I have two Fitbit Charge devices. I took two months off using it. I went to go use them, one will simply not boot (turns on for 1/2 seconds and shuts off) and the other now will only stay charged for a few hours and dies. I’m not sure what’s going on here, but it seems suspicious.

• Uranium 🟩@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

If you left them with their batteries empty then the batteries are likely actually dead.

If you’re going to leave a device untouched for an extended period, make sure the battery is atleast 50% or more full before doing so.

• VonReposti@feddit.dk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

IIRC you can’t turn off Fitbit devices. You have to drain the batteries completely so that the device powers down by itself. Utter shit design, but it is what it is.

• Nighed@sffa.community
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

You can’t turn fitbits off (at least the fitness trackers). They are their on or flat (as far as I’m aware anyway)

• Wooshock@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I have owned probably a dozen Fitbits over the years.

Not coincidentally, I own a dozen dead Fitbits.

Honestly you are better off buying the cheapest Chinese product on Amazon. Fitbits are pure fucking diarrhea in wearable form, and I eagerly await the class action lawsuit.

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

A few years ago I bought a xiaomi fitness tracker for 30 euros. Used every day until I got bored of it. Left it in a drawer for a year, tried it recently, still works just fine.

Not that I’d necessarily recommend getting one, but if the battery on yours is already dead, I agree that is suspiscious. Sounds like it’s by design.

• TwanHE@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Those xioami fitbands are great for the price, if you want basic tracking without needing your phone or just want a really cheap smartwatch that can control music or your cameras shutter.

But their battery also doesn’t last more than 2 years if you charge it every 3 days. At least the 2 and the 4 died within 2 years for me.

• anguo@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

3 days? I’ve owned the Mi band 1, 2 & 4 (still on my wrist), and only need to charge it once every 20+ days. The only reason I upgraded from the 2nd one was that the LCD was starting to be too dim. Granted, I turn off every tracking feature that I can.

• TwanHE@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I did use the heart rate monitoring and sleep tracking features. Without those they indeed last a few weeks.

• anguo@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

Yes, I realize that my use case might not be the norm. I just dream of a smartwatch that just gives me the time and proper notifications, without the added cost and bulk of all the tracking features.

Edit: I was just surprised that the battery duration difference would be so drastic.

• TwanHE@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

The heart rate function is the most battery draining of all. You can change the frequency of it to make it less taxing.

• cybersandwich@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

My charge just died on me(again. I’ve had three firbits while my wife’s apple watch is still going strong). I was planning on moving to Garmin (maybe they are better than Fitbit/Google about data privacy), but my wife talked me into seeing if my Fitbit was under warranty. It’s not, but they offered me 50% off any fitbit on their site.

This obviously makes my decision harder. I can get a new inspire 3 for $49 or I can try to figure out which Garmin out of their 1000 variations is right for me. Most of the ones that interest me are ~$300+

• cybersandwich@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

That definitely makes the decision harder.

This probably makes me sound like a simpleton, but their breadth and depth of models is paralyzing and having never owned any smart watch other than a fitbit basic charge-style band, I dont even know where to start. And $300+ dollars puts it out of impulse purchase range.

• brenticus@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

They sort of have watches categorized by sport/purpose if you know why you want a watch, but most of them do basically the same stuff and the main differences are battery life, appearance/build, and whether it has GPS.

I wanted something I could use to navigate and track multi-day backcountry hikes, so I got a Fenix. My wife wanted to go for a run without bringing her phone with her, so I got her a forerunner. There are lots of options, but even the cheapest watch is good enough if you just want to track steps and basic activities.

• blattrules@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t think any Fitbit I’ve ever owned has lasted more than a year. The good thing about the company is that they have a pretty good warranty program and as a result, I haven’t paid out of pocket for a new device in over three years.

• المنطقة عكف عفريت@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I have a charge 4. People don’t like it because it has no colors, I don’t like it because it has no sdk to support making new apps on it. Apparently it has very good sensors that I would have loved to manipulate and use for my own personal use cases. But alas.

Looking to buy a new tracker soon since it helped me understand my heartbeat and sleeping patterns better. I’m looking for something FOSS where it’s easy to make and share custom widgets.

• blattrules@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Yeah, once my current versa 3 inevitably breaks, I’m jumping ship. I’m most likely going to Garmin, since other choices are kinda limited and don’t want to charge my watch every day. I feel like the sleep tracking has never worked well for me on Fitbit. I don’t know if it’s a function of having a low heart rate or it just doesn’t work well, but there are nights that I’ve gotten terrible sleep or not slept at all and it thinks I slept for 6+ hours because I just laid there.