Obviously not looking for hyperaccurate answers, just in general, how many people tend to unsubscribe from promotional emails and how many tick the option “I never signed up for this”?

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Not an answer to your question, but yesterday I was annoyed that I unsubscribed to an email list and there wasn’t an option to select that I never signed up for it. My email address has my first initial in it - and my user name does not stand for JulieBalls, seeing that my name isn’t Julie. However, that doesn’t stop Julie for signing me up for all sorts of shitty emails like “Hi Julie, Rand Paul needs your support to fight Facist Fauci”, “Julie, this is Reverend Fuck Knuckles and I need you to pray for Trump”, etc.

When I unsubscribe from these lists they usually make me select an option like “I’m no longer interested in this content.” I’m like “bitch, I was never interested in your trash-ass content!”

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

My mum always gives her email address as her full name @gmail.com

She doesn’t have an email account with gmail. She had a work email account but retired years ago. She’s never signed up for it. Chances are somebody else took it a long time ago. But she just thinks this is how emails work. It’s how mine looks. Why wouldn’t hers be similar? So anytime anybody asks for an email, that’s who gets it. Some poor woman in another country quietly marking doctors appointments as spam.

• Thisfox@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, I have some yank doing that to me regularly on my email address. She has kids, and a car. Get a lot of car repair and rego emails. And childcare emails. I emailed her kids child care to tell them I wasn’t in the US, didn’t have kids, and couldn’t find their unsubscribe button. They sent me irate messages back telling me that her poor toddlers would be sent home if I kept sending things like that… I told them it was a major security risk to send such emails to an unconfirmed email to a random stranger overseas. They eventually got the hint, or possibly phoned the mother, as they eventually shut up, but it took a few tries over several weeks.

I often wonder about her, but she is impossible to communicate with directly. I just get her mail, but have nowhere to forward it to.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

My lady has signed up for Care.com to be a nanny, and I frequently get inquiries from families looking to hire her. But yeah, I have no way of actually getting this info to her, since I don’t know her real address. I considered doing a password reset to make her have to get another account, but I wasn’t sure about the ethics and legalities of that.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Your mom and Julie are probably best friends, cause that’s exactly what’s happening with my email account. It’s like every 6 months, she signs up for something new. I’m guessing she must be confused when she never gets the communication she signed up for? But she probably has a very loose understanding of how email actually works.

• NigelFrobisher@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, I’ve been signed up for businesses in various US states by people who share my name. This must be what they’re doing. Sometimes I even get sent receipts and insurance policy documents.

• Drusas@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I was on Gmail back in the invite-only days, so I got a good address. By now, I have had about a dozen different people do this to me. Some are very persistent in believing that my address is theirs.

• Good_Chemistry@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I had one couple who used my address for everything. They ordered a laptop with my email. ITunes, Netflix, disney+. They’d signed up for USPS’s informed delivery with my account. I could have stolen so much shit from them over the years. But I always tried to correct the issue.

It finally stopped when they used my email for their wedding registry. Instead of trying once again to do the right thing, I logged into the registry, removed all of their tasteful items, added a faux tigerskin rug (the kind with the whole head at one end), a bunch of this jewel-tone stuffed curvy furniture that would be perfect for a 70s fuckroom, clown-themed carnival games, a popcorn cart, and a shitload of baby items.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Same here. Still blows my mind though. Like do these people think if they just write down an address, then it’s magically theirs?

• JokeDeity@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

The amount of people who think that their email is only accessible on one computer (as if it were a literal mailbox) actually leads me to believe that yes, many people probably are this dumb.

• ZeroEcks@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Does not help that before webmail and IMAP or whatever it basically did work this way lol