How much do I need to pay for repairing phone which got flooded? It’s a pixel 6, I’ve opened it, and saw some corrosion on the MB. It does not react to power button, nor to plugging it to the charger.

I could not find motherboard on Ifixit, but maybe someone tried to repair such a damage via Google themselves?

• Brickfrog@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

via Google themselves?

Not sure which country you are in but you can try to look that up via Google’s website, e.g. in the U.S. you can browse to https://store.google.com/us/magazine/repaircenter & go through the steps to see what quote they give you.

Not sure how that would work if you’re out of warranty but the website should be able to tell you those options.

• Haveanicedayman@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Holy smokes, here is the quote from Google: Estimated cost*: €479.70 (incl. 19% VAT) I would say- quite a lot.

• Avid Amoeba@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, the motherboard is one of the most expensive components, probably followed by the screen. 🥺

• Extras@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Damn at that point i’d get a refurbished replacement instead or maybe go on ebay to see if you can find a unit thats just for parts. Also doesnt hurt to get a quote from a third party repair shop thats local to you before you do anything

• AlmightySnoo 🐢🇮🇱🇺🇦@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

That’s almost the same as the price of a new Pixel 7a, that repair quote is a complete joke. As Extras said, you could try to find a Pixel 6 on Ebay that is in bad shape (cracked screen etc… but works) for cheap and then use its motherboard. Otherwise, you could also just go for a used or refurbished Pixel 6, I found this one at €275 on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/186093640631 (I’d probably try to haggle a bit for a lower price).