Hello Everyone!

(Post got too long, if you want to skip, game names are in bold, you can just read those)

June is ending, and July is starting. For the US folks, that means 4th of July is coming! Another day to just play games, without worrying about work or school!

I am still playing The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kindgom, about 75 hours in and very near the end, will probably finish it soon. Would have to wait and see, if I lose interest in rest of the stuff after finishing the main story, or want to keep exploring and doing other stuff. Details next, move to next paragraph, if you want to skip. I have done the last regional quest, I originally wanted to go back to exploring after that, but after getting all Tears and completing all regional quest, I wanted to focus on story and see how it ends, so left everything and went to the Castle. Haven’t reached the final boss yet, but I think I am near the end now.

In non-Nintendo games, played a bit of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge with my kid. We both had lots of fun with it, and going to continue playing it when we both have time. Only complaint I have is that 2nd player doesn’t earn any trophies, but that isn’t a big issue for me.

Also played a little of Monster Hunter: World, and I must say, Capcom, improve your multiplayer setup! It’s so confusing. Only the host can watch cut-scene, and you can’t play a mission whose cut-scene you haven’t watched. So, if 4 players are playing, they all have to start the story mission separately, then during the mission when you come across the monster first time, there’s a cut scene, after you have watched cut scene, all of you must abandon the quest and then one person can host the mission again and everyone else can join it. (Or all person except one can leave their mission and join that person’s mission mid-way). Took us more than an hour to figure all that out. Not counting that, the game is really fun, but still not sure if we are going to stick to it.

Other than that, Marvel’s Avengers is leaving PS+ Extra on 12 July. I usually don’t prioritize games based on when they are leaving, but the game is shutting down in September and I don’t want to spend money on it. So, even though I don’t want to start another game right now, I am going to give it a try. The campaign is only 12 or so hours, and I have heard it is fun enough. So, plan to start it too. Not sure if I’ll play the full campaign, but I want to give it a try.

So, what about all of you? What are you playing?

Edit: June doesn’t have 31 days! facepalm

• fartdumpster@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

not this weekend but next weekend, i am hoping to get the harvest moon remake and maybe we love katamari remake. loved these games as a kid so a lot of nostalgia there.

• B0NK3RS@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m going to finish Pikmin and then start Pikmin 2.

I’m feeling a real nostalgia hit at the moment for the GameCube so hopefully I can get stuck in to some favourites too!

• isatistinctoria@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Also on TotK, slightly behind you. Finished the fourth regional quest but haven’t reported back to Purah yet.

!Spoiler alert! My plans are to do that, then the Korok forest, followed by the extra tear and the fifth sage (who I had stumbled upon before even finishing my second temple). Then I’ll just… dick around for months instead of going to the castle. :D

• bamboo@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Basically the same as me. I finally went to Purah and most of the dialogue was “Ohh you already did that?”

I still have only have half of the depths explored, and finally have hero quest to figure out which sky Islands I haven’t visited.

• slimerancher@lemmy.worldOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I wish they would recognize more quests though. I had done all the Tears, and I knew about Zelda, but still, all dialogues are, along the line of no one knowing what happened to Zelda.

• bamboo@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah my head cannon is that news doesn’t travel at all throughout Hyrule (even with the newspaper), so that’s why no one knows about Zelda.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah, well, I don’t care about other people not knowing, it’s Link not telling them, when he keeps going around telling everyone, from kings to stable boy about what happened to Zelda, when we meet them first.

Anyways, it’s not a big deal. Zelda is mainly an action-adventure game, not a RPG, so I can ignore these things.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Ah, interesting. BTW you can use spoilers tag, for spoilers

spoiler

I haven’t done much sky islands, so didn’t stumble upon the fifth sage quest. And I don’t know what’s there to do in Korok forest, since I haven’t been there, but will check it out after finishing the game.

• Thebazilly@pathfinder.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I finished Tears of the Kingdom today! The ending is very sweet. I enjoyed the game immensely and I’m glad I spent so long wandering around, because I needed every last heart for the final boss!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Wow. That’s great to know. With how the story progresses, I wasn’t sure if it will have a good ending, but I guess it’s Nintendo, so I shouldn’t have been too worried.

I remember talking to someone here how BotW boss was so easy and I wish TotK boss isn’t like that. Maybe I shouldn’t have wished for that 😃 I haven’t reached the final boss, but I did face the one before that.

spoiler

Phantom Ganon

and it wasn’t a very easy fight, if the final boss is tougher, I can understand needing enough health.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Nice. Is this your first time playing it, or have you played the original before?

I skipped on 3D All Stars bundle on principle, didn’t like the idea of limited time release to force everyone to buy right now. Would give it a try if it’s ever available in non-limited release.

• R00bot@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

First time! I played galaxy 2 when I was younger but because I was a kid when those games came out I kinda just played whatever I got for chistmas/birthdays lol.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s one of my favourite RPG, still listen to to the title music sometimes. The game-play, the combat, the pawn system. Loved it all. And with the sequel releasing soon, it’s the best time to play it.

• picandocodigo@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m also at 75 hours in TotK, but not much closer to finishing the main quest than last week 😅

I played a bit of Doom Eternal since I finally got my phisical copy from Limited Run Games. It was very fun, and it feels different to Doom (2016). Still looks amazing on Switch! I’ll probably be playing some more during the weekend to take a break from Zelda.

Shredder’s Revenge is so much fun. Played all the story and some arcade in co-op and it’s always a good one to go back to. The DLC will make me play it again for sure!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m also at 75 hours in TotK, but not much closer to finishing the main quest than last week 😅

Heh, it’s same for me this week, haven’t progressed much.

Glad to hear about about Doom Eternal, it recently came to PS+ Extra, so would play it there.

As for Shredder’s Revenge, yeah, it’s a great game, going to follow whatever the devs make next.

• picandocodigo@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I recommend you check out Streets of Rage 4 (also from DotEmu, developers of Shredder’s Revenge) if you haven’t yet. It’s one of the beat 'em ups I keep coming back to, so good!

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Thanks for the recommendation!

Streets of Rage 4 is pretty high on my list. I played Street of Rage 2 a lot on Sega Genesis, and love what they have done with Street of Rage 4. I was planning to play it before TMNT, but then they added TMNT to PS+ Extra, so went with that one first.

BTW I didn’t know that they are both of same devs. That just makes me more excited to try it. Thanks!

• spiderjuzce@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I just got the Harvest Moon remake on switch and it’s been great. It’s still difficult but they added in more to the plot with the wonders. Oh and they yassified Gordy.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I never played the original, how would you say the game is, for someone who has no nostalgia for it, and has played some of the modern farming games?

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Dragon Quest XI is a great game. I started it, but the game is on pause right now, will get back to it after TotK… How far along are you? Reached the first city?

• hoodlem@hoodlem.me
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yep! Made it to the first city and now I’m’ off again where I’m going to where the adventure takes me next.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah, the game is really fun. I am at the stage where I have just got the full party together. Let’s see if I can resume it before you reach that point 😀

• Sourweasel@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m still in the middle of TOTK. It’s been fantastic, but in trying to savor the moment. I’ve also started playing Rocket League on my PC again. It’s nice to jump into an arena and get my butt kicked🤣

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, TotK is not a game that you should rush through. How far along are you in the game?

Rocket League is very fun, but it has a very high skill ceiling. The people who are good in it, are VERY good, they are flying around, doing things you don’t even know are possible in the game. It’s still a fun game though.

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Nintendo-wise I’m still on Tears of the Kingdom, over 230 hours in - I beat the main quest a while ago but I’m still trying to fulfill my completionist side.

I doubt I’ll make it anywhere near 100%, but I’d like to get a lot more side quests completed and a lot more armor fully upgraded. Might be nice to get max inventory size for my shields too.

Non-Nintendo-wise I picked up Bloons TD6 recently.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This game has so much stuff to collect and complete, you can spend an eternity getting everything maximized.

With the amount of stuff I am doing, I may not even reach 50%. I don’t care about most of the things, but I do want to complete most of the side quests, and get as many armour sets as I can. Upgrading them all to max might be too much for me though…

Bloons TD games are really fun. Playing the Netflix version?

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think I have all the armor except a single piece - which I know the general location of and just need to make a good push for. I don’t have any full sets upgraded to max yet though - just a few stray pieces. I did recently learn how to reliably farm star pieces, though, so it shouldn’t be as painful as I thought it would be. I don’t really have any leads on how to find the rest of my missing side quests right now - the method I was using kind of crapped out, and I feel like I’ve searched most obvious locations pretty thoroughly.

I’m on the Steam version - doing pretty alright, not as good at it as I thought I might be though

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Wow, that’s cool. Good luck with the last remaining piece.

Heh, I didn’t know Bloons TD games were also available on Steam. I have always played them on mobile, and since I don’t play much on mobile, never really played them much. I have started Kingdom Rush maybe half a dozen time, never finished it even once.

• Zed@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

After 240+ hours on TOTK, I finally finished it, I didn’t know what to play for a few days, but then I started South Park The Fractured But Whole and I’m having a blast, I am a fan of the show and I love how the games feel just like an episode or a movie, I hope they make a third one down the line.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Wow, 240+ hours! That’s really something. I don’t think I am going to cross 100 hours anytime soon. How much did you do? All shrines? Koroks? Compendium?

I have never seen South Park so never got interested in the game, but I have heard from lots of people that it’s really fun. Glad you are enjoying it!

• Zed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Not at all lol, I just love exploring and taking my time so it adds up, and just a few days ago I decided that I finally should finish the game, it was an awesome experience all the way through, my only complaint would be combat, I was hoping it had improved since botw but nope.

I think the South Park games should be given a chance even if you are not a fan of the show, they stand very well on their own as fun RPGs.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah, they haven’t changed any of the basic mechanic / physics of the game. I don’t have much issue with it, but they will probably update it in next game.

I’ll check the South Park games out, thanks for the recommendation!

• Zed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Not at all lol, I just love exploring and taking my time so it adds up, and just a few days ago I decided that I finally should finish the game, it was an awesome experience all the way through, my only complaint would be combat, I was hoping it had improved since botw but nope.

I think the South Park games should be given a chance even if you are not a fan of the show, they stand very well on their own as fun RPGs.

• TimesEcho@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Pinky: What are we doing this weekend, Brain?
    Brain: The same thing we do every weekend…We’re going to take over Hyrule!

• TimesEcho@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

TotK. I’m going the maximum exploration route, so I’ve only gotten the Travel Medallions, Tulin’s Sage, and the locator so far. I’m leaving the main story until much later. 135 hours in, though, and only playing an hour or two most days.

• Phelpssan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been on Visual Novel mood, finished Robotics;Notes Elite earlier this week (which was excellent!) and started playing the sequel, Robotics;Notes DaSH. Just completed Phase 02 of the sequel, and managed to unlock the five different routes that branch from this point.

However, so far DaSH has been a disappointment. The plot of the early portions of the game is just terrible, and Daru’s perverted jokes get old really fast with him as the main character. Since there are hints of some bigger conspiracy behing the nonsense of these early parts of the game I’ll hold my judgment until I finish the game, but it’ll have to be some really great twist to make up for this painful start.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I am an avid reader, but for some reason I haven’t been able to get into Visual Novels. What would you say is the easiest visual novel to get into?

One of the aspects I don’t like much is replaying it multiple times to get the full picture. I can live with missing out on different endings, as long as it makes you feel that you have finished it.

• Phelpssan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

One of the aspects I don’t like much is replaying it multiple times to get the full picture.

Most (all?) modern VNs have some kind of “skip read text” function so you can get quickly to the parts of the story you haven’t read yet, but I’ll give some suggestions assuming this is something you also dislike using.

I’ll also be assuming you want to play on the Switch. Anyway, there’s several ways to go.

• There’s something called “Kinetic Novels”, VNs that don’t have any choices/branches. I haven’t played it yet, but Witch on the Holy Night is a highly-regarded game of this type that just got a Switch release. There’s also a demo which you can try.

• There are games like Raging Loop that have multiple branches you’re required to go through to get the “true” ending, but also feature a very convenient in-game flowchart that lets you know where the branches are and allow you to jump straight to any choice, so the whole “reading the same thing multiple times” is kept to a minimum. This one is my usual recommendation for VN beginners.

• If you don’t mind using a guide there’s some games with only one “good” ending that don’t require multiple playthroughs if you make the right choices. The House in Fata Morgana is a fantastic choice if you want to go with this route.

• A similar idea of “use a guide” works for some of the games that have multiple endings but the “true” ending is reachable with a single playthrough. I know this is the case for Steins;Gate.

• Games that have branches but no “true” ending might work, I know that the first Grisaia game is like this and I think this is also the case for Aokana. The Grisaia sequels kinda assume you played all of the routes from the first game, but getting the different endings is very easy anyway since there’s only a few choices - just save at each one of them and try different answers.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Funny thing, had never heard of Witch on the Holy Night before, but just came across an article mentioning it sold over 150K copies. Nice!

• Phelpssan@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It’s from the same author as Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, and I believe it’s the first novel from this author to get an official english release.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Ahan, that’s interesting. It’s price is a bit more than what I want to spend on a VN right now, but going to add it to my dekudeals wishlist, and check it out on next sale.

Thanks for the recommendations and the info!