• FlakesBongler [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I love how Chuds are terrified of cities

Like their brains are constantly going why would people live somewhere where you were constantly being mugged and stabbed? Why don't more people live where it's a thirty minute drive to the nearest gas station and your neighbor can ruin the water table for generations because he didn't take care of his septic tank?

• putridfairytale [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

i wish that i could fear and quake like a shark does

i’d go to the city

and i’d whine, cry, and piss, and shake

at the made up horrors

of course, i believe all the lies blue checks make

• mayo_cider [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I moved to one of the lowest income areas in my city this year, and heard all the horror stories about it before and after the move from all the people who have never lived in here

This is one of the most peaceful places I’ve lived in, with the added benefit of not seeing middle class dipshits on my way to work or the grocery store

It’s also one of the most left-leaning areas in every election, and the antifa and anarchist stickers everywhere make me feel at home

I’m thinking of making up more horror stories just to keep middle class libs away

• GaveUp [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

It’s funny how SF gets so much smoke when Oakland is right beside it and has infinitely more violent crimes, gang activity, and far left activism

• VILenin [he/him]@hexbear.netM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

At least 30% of chuds probably don’t know that Oakland exists

SF and Palo Alto/San Mateo area are where all the techbros live so that’s where the crime wave copaganda stories are aimed towards (techbros eat that shit up)

• Nationalgoatism [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Oakland has got to be one of my favorite cities in the USA. Tons of radicalism, great food, cool people, fun music scene, somewhat bikeable (public transit not bad by American standards, could still use a lot of love), open space pretty accessible. And just enough of a reputation for crime to keep our some of the worst tech, ngo etc types. Disclaimer: I have worked and visited the city extensively،but never lived there. This post is mostly aspirational, if I didn’t live where I live, I would want to live in Oakland probably

• GaveUp [she/her]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

The radicalism is pretty strong, never seen so many mutual aid projects happening in a city at once and I’ve met so many people who just grew up radicalized cause they learned about the BPP and met previous members in their community as a child

• FourteenEyes [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I have fucking severe social anxiety and I’m not as pants-shittingly scared of large cities as this loser. I once walked home two miles through fucking skid row to get back to my car from a concert at 1 AM. A cop slowed down and told me I should get an Uber and I waved him off because I was too broke to afford one.

• Dessa [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago
    • If you are spotted by a gang member, observe closely to try and identify the gang.
    • If they are a member of the Crips, spread your arms out to make yourself seem large, or bang pots and pans together. They will become confused and intimidated and wander off.
    • Do not attempt this with the Bloods. They cannot be intimidated. Slowly lay your wallet on the ground between you and back away while maintaining eye contact.
    • DO NOT turn your back to them, as they will see this as an invitation to play the Knockout Game.
  • Mindfury [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

jesus christ, how are these “people” so scared of everything? so scared of having to interact with your community?

I went as a fat cracker australian tourist and it was this easy:

land domestic flight
    catch train to brooklyn, ride train like normal person while literally carrying suitcases and backpack
    stumble into random building in darkness to find accomodation
    wake up, google closest atm/bank
    withdraw literally hundreds of dollars on the street because you need to carry cash in your shithole country
    put cash in wallet like a normal person
    buy bagel
    get drunk
    wear small day backpack for 5 days straight to carry water and snax
    buy deli sandwich
    buy the guy next to me a beer at WWE raw in MSG because he was cool and didn’t smell (particularly notable for wrestling fans)
    get drunk
    ride subway a few more times
    give unhoused dude a 20 because i was actually forced to carry cash
    leave

ezpz, get good chinless chuds lmao

• mar_k [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

NYC actually has a lower homicide rate than the national average. It’s literally one of the safest big cities in the US. But I guess chuds shit themselves because it’s the biggest and most racially diverse?

I take the train there a few times a year because it’s close, and my dad always swears I’m gonna get mugged and shot one day because he always sees horror stories on the news? Like no shit some stuff happens in a gigantic densely populated metropolis. There’s around 400 annual murders in a city of 9 million people, I’m literally safer there than I am visiting him. No getting through to boomer brain

• mar_k [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Also, middle class people have this weird tendency of thinking some random poor person is just gonna impulsively mug and kill them in the streets. Meanwhile most violent crime (e.g. like 90% of murders) are perpetrated by someone you know

• sempersigh [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

It’s funny how when you call them out on this they revert to rhetoric they would normally call feels over reals/sjw speak in other contexts “stop trying to use numbers to ignore peoples lived experiences blah blah blah”

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I’ve taken the train in nyc several times a week for years (outside of Manhattan) and I’m fine. I’ve seen “crazy” people but I’ve never felt like I was about to be attacked once. That doesn’t mean I don’t practice “street smarts” and I avoid looking like a mark but cmon these people are fucking cowards and it’s all about them being afraid of black people.

Of course even if I wasn’t fine that would still be a stupidly unreliable way to tell if something’s dangerous or not because anecdotes over data is their whole thing

• windowlicker [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

a ton of people (especially americans) immediately see someone they deem “crazy” (it can vary from someone actually having mental health problems to someone just simply acting differently from them) and immediately think they’re in danger. i really don’t understand this phenomena. i encounter tons of people acting strange in public and not once felt like my own life was in danger. people really need to learn to mind their own business, a lot of good can come of it.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

The commentary of that one guy who got choked to death on the subway pissed me off so much because he was literally just venting because he felt like shit and lived on the edge of the spectrum of person emaciated by capitalism Iit’s normal to witness this in America if you experience America outside of your car. To see that sort of thing and immediately decide you need to do murder is beyond out of touch and evil incarnate

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

At least in regards in to nyc it basically entails looking like you’re confused and not from the area. (Looking like a tourist, checking for directions meticulously, endlessly looking at your phone without your back against the wall ect) thus making someone feel they can can take advantage of you in some way. With that said I haven’t really had any problems and simply looking like you know what you’re doing whether you do or not helps a lot. Imo most of nyc is safe and there’s not really much to be worried about if you’ve done a modicum of research. Being afraid of being in the global north is pretty hilarious overall honestly

• I’ll be honest, I despise New York City, not because I’m scared of crime (it felt incredibly safe to me), but because large parts of it aren’t a city, but are instead a series of obscene temples of capitalism

Now, full admission this was as a tourist so I had a very distorted exposure to the city. But like, everything was insanely expensive, everyone I met was some rich boomer or millennials who were mostly cool but clearly squeezed into a constantly hustling lifestyle just to stay afloat. I have a really strong memory of waiting in a line behind some older women bitching about “that asshole” (talking about trump), but then ending with “he’s been great for my investments though” and it just really exemplified American liberalism to me

• PM_ME_YOUR_FOUCAULTS [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I can see why one would think that visiting, and yes, there are large parts of Manhattan especially that are exactly what you’re describing, but it’s still a very small part of what goes on there. It’s expensive, but it’s also very diverse and working class.

• Oh I totally believe that, I was only there for a very short time and did stereotypical tourist stuff which gives a super skewed experience. I will say the museums were great, and food options were amazing and totally possible to find affordable options if you were even slightly adventurous.

The wealth disparity was shocking though, and it was strange to me to see such an established city that still fully depended on migrant labour for its basic functioning if that makes sense?

Also Times Square is a portal to hell and no one should go there. We were warned by a local but went anyway and it was worse than I imagined

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

the 24 hour news cycle has been incredibly corrosive. One murder will convince people that society is collapsing in to barbarism and the purge is real, meanwhile the murder rate is at it’s lowest in decades.

• axont [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

These people will see a poor person or a black person and say they survived a gang war. They shit their pants from seeing any poverty at all, but not in the good way where they wanna do something about it. They want little bubble lived

• SorosFootSoldier [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I remember someone saying on twitter, I think, that americans think america is the greatest country on earth while simultaneously believing that cities are literal war zones filled with berserker zombies out for blood.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Double think is their baseline for everything. Hilary was a senile old fool who had no idea how to send emails AND a ruthless crime boss who’d killed dozens of people. Obama was a lazy fool AND worked 24-7 to destroy America. Immigrants are on welfare AND stealing jobs.