I use material files but i don’t know if it is still maintained? Last update is from may 2022. Any newer recommendations?

Edit. I forgot to add that I prefer open source apps

• @Blackx@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1211 months ago

Another vote for Solid Explorer. Two panes side by side and can connect to a lot of remotes, even Samba so you can use Windows shared folders.

• @fox@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      511 months ago

same, I just checked, I bought the full version in 2016 (for like a dollar ?) and been using it since.

• mintyfrog
      link
      fedilink
      English
      411 months ago

Moved to Solid Explorer after ES got enshittified. No complaints here but will move to something FOSS when it gets 90% as good.

• @tentphone@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      311 months ago

Same, the ability to access Google drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox files alongside your local files is awesome.

• @NightOwl@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 months ago

I’ve still been using it, since it has continued to be reliable. I have Mixplorer too. Should probably try using that too to see how it compares.

• @crdz@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      311 months ago

Ya everytime I reset my phone or get a new one I head to xda to download Mixplorer.

• @cyanarchy@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

Pro tip: You can host FTP servers from your phone. You can access that from your computer’s file manager and just drag and drop things on and off of your phone.

• @Vexz@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Hehe, nice. Luckily I have my own NAS with WebDAV which I use to transfer/access files anywhere. And MiXplorer supports WebDAV, so that’s a win. :)

Edit: This might be an option too to share files with this app.

• @cyanarchy@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            211 months ago

Ah, then you’re farther along than I am, but I’m glad I could introduce you to an app with powerful features you can make use of. I hope to take the plunge into the world of self-hosting before too much longer.

• @zingo@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

Funny, I never get files from my computer to my phone, its the other way around.

If I want some folders and files to be on both I use Syncthing for that.

• @PaperEater@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    711 months ago

I use material files too cause its been suggested a lot in r/degoogle in reddit. But I’m not sure if its still maintained. Anyone has a better app which is also FOSS?

• @WhoRoger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    711 months ago

Total Commander. For FOSS, Ghost Commander, similar but not exactly on par yet, at least in UX.

• @krigo666@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

I also use Total Commander, latest versions also include WiFi Web download for easy transfer for other devices. Ghost Commander also seems nice, going to use it for a bit.

• @WhoRoger@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

The WiFi plugin was perfect to transfer game ROMs and other stuff to/from an older Android TV that didn’t support much of anything else.

• @WhoRoger@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            111 months ago

Are you sure you don’t have the plugin? I had an older 3.33d version. I uninstalled the plugin, updated TC to 3.42d, tried “send via WiFi” and it asked to download the plugin.

• Tmpod
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

It’s not open source but it’s quite literally the best Android application I’ve ever seen, by a significant margin. It’s from the good old days where apps were small, very well designed, very polished and did not collect data.

It’s FX, a gem ever more lost to time. The site is a bit old and unmaintained so SSL certificates may give you a bit of trouble, but you can just ignore the warnings, it’s just an info page.

FX, despite not receiving updates for years has so many features of such great quality, I’ve yet to find any alternative with a truly competing interface and feature set.

Been using it for 10 years and it has been the pinnacle of Android.

Edit: I know you’ll be detracted from trying it since it’s not FOSS, but seriously give it a shot.

• snorkbubs
      link
      fedilink
      311 months ago

Ghost Commander is a winner for me as well, because it’s also an FTP client, and is dual-pane (and because it’s FOSS, of course). Been using it for what must be at least 10 years now, across many devices, and have no complaints whatsoever.

If anyone is intrigued, here’s a link to Ghost Commander on F-Droid.

• @RatzChatsubo@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

X-plore. Its the only one that lets you open multiple folders at once like you would on a desktop computer. It also is a built in FTP manager and will even replace your need to have separate cloud apps like Google Drive and Dropbox.

• sunshine
      link
      fedilink
      111 months ago

Wait why will it do that? It has its own cloud service, you mean?

• @Quetzacoatl@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    311 months ago

Filemanager +

Has everything I need, good UI, good quick access to commonly used folders and SD card, good file manipulation options.