• VikingHippie@lemmy.wtf
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah. While still not good, at least toxic self-deprecation/self-critical fatalism is more sympathetic than complete abdication of responsibility 🤷

• danc4498@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Nah, there’s no self deprecation in that. It’s more like they’re just rationalizing their shitty behavior ahead of time by pretending they have a characteristic that’s entirely out of their control.

“Sorry I’m just [choosing to be] a bitch” is more accurate.

• VikingHippie@lemmy.wtf
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I’m with you most of the way (hence why I used words like “not good” and “toxic”), but who said anything about ahead of time?

• HikingVet@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Worked with a couple people over the years who straight out said they are hard to deal with. Had much less problems with them than those who said “they could work with anyone”

• LetterboxPancake@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      Deutsch
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

“Look, I’m not good with people, especially when I find them annoying. So if you think I’m a bitch it’s just because I don’t like you 💖”

• SlopppyEngineer
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’ve known a guy making predictions using astrology. Then his predictions completely missed COVID, only one of the biggest disruptions in our lives, and never talked about astrology again.

• seitanic@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Astrology is so complex, there’s always a way to give yourself an out. “Oh, I see why that one was wrong! I forgot to factor in the Perseid meteor shower.”

• GVasco
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Yeah, and they’re probably the first to accuse you of weaponizing your neurodivergence or depression/burnout.

• SuzyQ@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Ha! This bitch is a Sagittarius! 🤣 lol

… Which I’ve read into in my younger years and often went “that’s not me, that’s not me at all.”

• DarkDiamondK@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

One time I told this girl I’ve known for a long time that my birthday was in June and she said “wait your a cancer? that explains so much” and I really wanted to say “really, so what explains why you’re such a bitch” unfortunately I was surrounded by a bunch of kids at the time so my rebuttal had to go missed

• Rachelhazideas@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Guys be hating on zodiac signs while making their entire personalities about Myers-Briggs pseudoscientific bullshit.

• SheDiceToday@eslemmy.es
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m pretty sure that I’m smart because I avoid both. I base my personality on the ancient dinosaurs test.

• Letstakealook@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

One of the managers at my job does this but with her disc profile. She makes everyone take one when they start as well. She seems to believe she’s the smartest person in the room, yet she’s over here eating up pseudoscience because she thinks it excuses her shitty behavior.

• MonsiuerPatEBrown@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I didn’t believe in astrology until!

I read that as we leave the age of Piscean Age of hookey bullshit and then enter the age of aquarius hookey woowoo bullishit that humans are leaving a time of Christ and entering a time of

Proponents of medieval astrology suggest that the Pisces world where religion is the opiate of the masses will be replaced in the Aquarian Age by a world ruled by secretive, power-hungry elites seeking absolute power over others; that knowledge in the Aquarian Age will only be valued for its ability to win wars; that knowledge and science will be abused, not industry and trade; and that the Aquarian Age will be a Dark Age in which religion is considered offensive.

… and that for a moment made me go … huh.

• paddirn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’ve read that astrology is actually an accurate predictor of personality, provided the person believes in it. It becomes a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy where the person that believes in it assumes the traits that they’re told they’re supposed to have. Many of the traits given for each sign are so universal that everybody probably exhibits some amount of all of them at some point in their lives. Believing in astrology though probably causes people to focus on those aspects more because they’re molding their personality to fit what they’ve read.

I imagine people predicting stuff about different Ages are just molding their worldview to fit whatever they’ve read, that theory definitely has a pro-religious bias. Winning wars was valued long before the time of Christ and it’s atheists that are considered offensive, not religions.