• BleepBlip@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

People will come to work and say “oh sorry, I can’t read that since I’m not wearing my glasses” and I’m like “why would you go anywhere without glasses if you need glasses?” I just don’t understand it.

• Xero@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

actually, they do bring glasses with them all the time, they just straight up refuse to wear them

• Kepabar@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Keep in mind that depending on the type of eye issue they may not need them all the time. In this example the person only needs then to read and it might actually make their vision worse to wear them when not.

• Xero@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

the thing is, even when they need to read something, they just squint their eyes and whine about how they can’t see without glasses then ask others to read it for them instead of idk, PUTTING ON THE DAMN GLASSES that are RIGHT ON THE FUCKING TABLE. Why did you think I said they REFUSE to wear glasses?

• Rachelhazideas@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

As someone who suffers from migraines, allodynia, and chronic pain, wearing glasses all the time isn’t an option.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

During the mandated mask times, I didn’t wear mine because they would fog up while wearing a mask.

• newIdentity@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Because I forgot them.

I usually don’t need any glasses unless something is more than 1m away from me. They’re uncomfortable laying down so I usually don’t wear them at home

• Hot Saucerman@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

They’re uncomfortable laying down so I usually don’t wear them at home

Is the only thing you do at home is lay in bed? I do plenty of stuff at home that requires me to have my glasses on all day.

I put them on in the morning and take them off before bed.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

No, but I don’t really need to wear them inside since most of the time I don’t look at something far away enough to bother wearing glasses, because they get dirty fast and it can be hard to clean them sometimes.

It’s not that bad for me since I only need -0,75dpt and -1,00dpt

• HikingVet@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

Fucking hell, you’re near-sighted and you don’t wear them because they get dirty? Do you walk around naked?

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

I only have two pairs of glasses.

I have more clothes and I can simply change them when they get dirty.

Also it’s not really a major annoyance when they get a little dirty unlike it’s the case with glasses.

• wildginger@lemmy.myserv.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Might come as a shock, but different eyeballs need glasses at different times.

I am “legally blind” but my glasses are pointless inside the house. My vision is just fine for anything that isnt outdoors.

Meanwhile my father cant drive with his glasses, but needs them to read.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

My dad is like this with his hearing aids. He can basically hear nothing without them, but he’ll still try to talk to Us. So he gets them, but then says it’s too loud, so he turns it down to where he still can’t hear anything. One of them stopped working, and rather than call the doctor for a replacement, probably under warranty, he’s just like “oh that one stopped working”. So meanwhile, he’s basically impossible to communicate with, but doesn’t tell people “what did you say? I couldn’t hear you”, he just acts like he heard them and then just makes up whatever he thought they said.

• FooBarrington@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

So meanwhile, he’s basically impossible to communicate with, but doesn’t tell people “what did you say? I couldn’t hear you”, he just acts like he heard them and then just makes up whatever he thought they said.

Man, do I hate this. My grandma does the same - she didn’t want to get a hearing aid for many, many years which led to her hearing becoming absolutely terrible. She now has hearing aids, but she still doesn’t understand much if you don’t raise your voice a lot. Yet she acts like she understands everything, and you have to try and interpret her nods to figure out if she actually understood it.

I mean, I get why she does it, she doesn’t want to annoy others by constantly asking - but I’d talk to her a lot more if she was honest with her understanding, because it’s impossible to make a point more than 2-3 sentences long as it is.

• InputZero@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

All my grandparents have passed a while ago, and honestly if I could, the one thing I miss most is talking to them. Even when they didn’t understand me. I got frustrated too but now that I’m older I realize I was just scared of losing them. Their nodding along was their way of making sure I didn’t worry about them. They didn’t want me to worry about them, as impossible as that is. I don’t know what type of relationship you reading this have with your grandparents, but if it’s not completely toxic go and talk to them. Even if they don’t understand. They’re used to you babbling in their face, you did it your first few years anyway.

• FooBarrington@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Thank you for your comment! I understand where you’re coming from, and my previous reply wasn’t formulated in the best way. I’m trying to spend as much time with my remaining grandparents as I can. But I’m not the most “social” person, and at some point my batteries are depleted. I know for a fact that if my grandma actually asked what I said, the charge would last much longer.

• Misconduct@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Weren’t there some studies that showed a link from hearing loss to dementia? Might want to shoot those studies to him maybe it’ll help ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• UNWILLING_PARTICIPANT@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

This also with fucking hearing aids. Like yeah it sucks, but wear them - they help. I’m sick of yelling at people with clear hearing issues who are not wearing anything to help.

• explodicle@local106.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

As a person with a hearing impairment, I can unfortunately confirm that they’re not all simply solved with hearing aids. OP has big “this liar walked from the handicap spot” energy.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Also they’re far more expensive than glasses. In college mine broke and I could barely afford food so I went without until I could afford to fix them a few years later.

There’s also the fact that at times they’re exhausting to wear and people get pissed if you have to take them out or turn them off.

Hearing aids aren’t like normal glasses where they just fix the problem no issue. I love my local librarians for just writing stuff down when I say I can’t hear. It’s quick and convenient.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I hadn’t considered that, but that does go to add a little doubt to my annoyance with my boomer neighbour… I guess you never can tell. Thanks for the context

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I’ll add that hearing aids can be tiring and uncomfortable to wear. I often take mine off after work because I need a break after 9 hours of wearing them. My neighbors may find it inconvenient, but it’s what I need to do for my comfort.

Also hearing aids really aren’t cheap. There was a decent period of time I just couldn’t drop the money to fix or replace mine after they broke

• SuiXi3D@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

As someone with ADHD, I find that if I’m focused on something and someone tries to get my attention, I’ll often need to ask them to repeat themselves. Not because I didn’t hear them, but I couldn’t comprehend them. It’s not about the sound entering my ears, it’s about my brain not being ‘ready’ to take in information from a different source so suddenly.

• Blue and Orange@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Whoa, I’ve been having this exact problem for years and it’s been troubling me, especially in my new job. I keep needing to ask people to repeat themselves unless I’m facing them, focused on them, and within a short distance of them. We also use earpieces at work and I’m sometimes struggling to hear what I’m being told through them. It can cause embarrassment.

I’ve never been diagnosed with ADHD nor do I have any diagnosed hearing problems. I’ve always wondered if its just related to my shy personality or if I have poor active listening skills, but your comment made me think that I should speak to someone about it.

• SuiXi3D@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

So, fun fact: the human brain cannot multitask. Some are good at switching tasks quickly, their minds well adjusted for doing so. Others, like you and I, have trouble switching tasks quickly. It’s not something you can train or get better at, it’s just a quirk of how your brain developed. There’s no shame in it, either. But now that you’re aware of what the issue is, you can take steps to work around it.

Talking to a mental health professional is a good step, but be wary of getting put on any drugs. Sometimes the best thing you can do is be aware of any issues and work around them. That being said, for me, a stimulant is the perfect solution to some of my ADHD related issues, others are deeply ingrained behaviors that need to be trained out.

No drug is suddenly going to solve all your problems. They can help with aspects, but be wary of side effects. Not just physical ones, either.

• FlihpFlorp@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Same here. For me it’s like when I can recognize other languages based off the sound or the way the written language looks. Like I know your speaking English but have no idea what was said especially with directions sometimes

• JohnEdwa@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Has this with my ex, both of us. Learned to always start with “Hey (name)”, then wait the 5-15 seconds for us to process whatever we were doing and go “Hm?” before actually saying the thing.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Oh that’s totally normal. Or like when you say “pardon?” but by the time you’re finished asking, the sound has rattled around in your ears long enough for your brain to have made sense of it, then you’re like “sorry, nevermind, it’s on the top shelf” while they’re in the middle of clarifying.

• SocialMediaRefugee@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The reasons I’ve heard (hah) are:

1. They cost a lot
      2. People are biased against people who they see wearing hearing aids
      3. It makes you feel old and face aging
    • thatsTheCatch@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

My partners grandma does this… literally takes 1 min to put in (and it’s not like she’s got a lot going on anyway)

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Fair, but I was talking about cases where someone is trying to communicate, but won’t wear a device to help them. Like my brother in law. A great storyteller and a hoot to have around, but misses a lot of context because he refuses to wear hearing aids

• StickBugged@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Exactly! I couldn’t imagine even getting out of my room after I wake up without putting my glasses on

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I can imagine that but my functionality will be questionable at best and the most advanced task I can do is probably make a sandwich and itll take me 5 minutes to find the mayonnaise if its been moved from the usual spot.

• SARGEx117@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I know a guy who REALLY needs glasses. Can’t see shit more than 3 inches away without them. You can sneak up on him in broad daylight by walking in the open right toward him, he can’t make out the blob until about 15ft away. Probably legally blind, but I don’t actually know that.

He refuses to wear glasses while driving “because all the lights hurt my eyes”.

So basically at night he keeps it between the white/yellow blurs and avoids the blobs headed toward him, and during the day he tries to avoid the colored blobs while staying on the gray/black smear.

Remember, you share the road with these people daily! Incidentally I’m all for mandatory 5 year retesting for driver licenses and a yearly one after a certain age. No, I don’t think that’s ageist or wrong.

ANECDOTE TIME: My own grandfather drove right up until he was moved into a care home, and he was having seizures and strokes intermittently. The last time I spoke to him before he lost access to his truck, he told me he had to ask for help getting back into the truck because his leg wouldn’t move, AND he nearly took out someone’s mailbox because he took a turn so wide he jumped the sidewalk and went into a yard.

• ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

In germany you get info on your drivers license that says if the persons needs Glasses for driving. When the police stops you and sees no glasses on you then its like driving without a drivers license afaik

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

It’s the same in the US. They test your vision when you go to get your license, they print the restriction on your license, and you legally cannot drive without them.

• KptnAutismus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

yup, wear your glasses people!

but what happens if you say you have contacts in? do they have a mobile eye exam in their beamers?

• ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

I really dunno. They have different numbers that allow for glasses, contacts or both. So even when you transition to contacts you need to update your drivers license.

But then, good question. How do they check that.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

He refuses to wear glasses while driving “because all the lights hurt my eyes”.

If your eyes aren’t used to glasses, guess what? You get a headache. If you wear them long enough, your body gets used to them, and you stop getting headaches.

• hackitfast@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I love glasses, they add style. Contacts are good but I wouldn’t be a fan of having to do that every morning and night

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

You gotta grandma that shit up and get the little grippers that go on the arms of the glasses behind your ears. I’m telling you it’s game changing. They’re basically goggles because they no longer yeet themselves off your face. If only there was a solution to them fogging up with masks. I’ve tried so many things that go in or over masks and they never work. Absolute rage point for me I can’t stand it. I switch to contacts for masks now so I can retain my sanity.

• Count Regal Inkwell@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Ah, that was never my problem with glasses.

The problem is that I am a very sweaty, oily person by nature.

The interaction between this and the glasses is that the oils get into those little nose pad thingies and eventually into my eyes, causing immense eye irritation. The only way to avoid it is to take a break every hour to wash face and glasses lest my eyes turn read and teary.

Generally annoying, doubly so given how ADHD I am and my tendency to either hyperfocus and forget about it entirely until I straight up can’t see, or to move off a task only to find myself unable to start it again.

And right now I can afford to only wear my glasses if I’m like. Doing a lot of reading with really tiny text or if I’m driving (which I rarely do because I’m fortunate enough to work from home and live at a place where most services are accessible by foot) – But my eyesight has a tendency to worsen as I age, and I have no idea how I’ll cope once it gets so bad I need them all the time.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Ah yeah I hear that. Just FYI a lot of people with “oily” skin actually have very dry skin that’s producing extra oil to compensate. Happened to me I was told my skin was oily my whole life until a few years ago. Against everything I believed I tried some moisturizer at the suggestion of someone on reddit and it was like getting new skin over the course of a couple weeks. HUGE difference. Same thing for my scalp. Shampoo etc for oily hair wasn’t working because my scalp wasn’t oily. It was making it more dry and making the oil problem worse lmao. Just throwing that out there because it was a real game changer for me. Nowadays it’s super rare for me to get that terrible burning in my eyeballs from my stupid face oil.

I do recommend anyone reading this to get face moisturizer specifically. Especially if you don’t like the feel of lotion because it’s usually a lot less greasy and rubs in better. Get some cheap stuff and give it a shot you never know.

Edit to also mention that I stopped suffering from pretty bad face face acne, which I’d suffered from for decades, with this change too.

• bleistift2@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I find it even more annoying when they refuse to use their hearing aids. It’s not my problem if they can’t read the newspaper, but repeating every sentence because they need two attempts to understand it… aAaAAAaahh!

• Cort@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

But when I wear them they give me headaches, because I don’t wear them enough.

• HurlingDurling@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

They shouldn’t give you headaches if they are properly measured. Go back to your optometrist and get them fixed

• DasherPack@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Yes, glasses give headaches at the beginning (if they correct a lot, not if they slightly adjust the owners vision). It’s how it is, you need to suffer a bit until you get used to them. Then, you get headaches when you don’t wear them.

• owatnext@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Backing this up. My glasses are for really bad astigmatism. When I first got the glasses, they made my head hurt über bad and I felt nauseous. Now, my head hurts when I don’t wear them.

• HikingVet@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I wear glasses constantly as my eyes are terrible. You might fishbowl a little when they are new but pain is not right and the number one sign your prescription is wrong.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I got a headache when I first started wearing glasses. Then it went away. There wasn’t anything wrong with the prescription. It was just my eyes adjusting to suddenly being able to see in HD for the first time in years.

• TimeSquirrel@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

This isn’t just a boomer thing. I know damn well half my schoolmates in the 90s preferred to walk around blind as fuck than be “uncool” and wear glasses. I’d see them sneak them out of their cases to read something on the chalkboard real quick and then tuck them away.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Not sure what this has to do with boomers. I’ve heard people of all ages grumble about having to wear glasses.

• HubertManne@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Xer and glasses never bothered me that much but I did dream of not needing them. Waking up and being able to see clearly when I open my eyes. Well anyway I got nearsided as well and ugh do I ever hate progressive lenses and I still end up taking off my glasses for looking at things close.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Fellow Xer here. My optometrist fitted me for my first pair of glasses for reading and said “welcome to your 40s”. I keep a cheap pair in every room and the nice prescription ones in my home/work offices.

• EmperorHenry
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

One of my grandfathers refused to wear a seatbelt and got really pissy any time someone put their foot down and wouldn’t move the car if he took it off.