The new bill reinforces that all data brokers must register with the California privacy protection agency, and it requires the CPPA to establish an easy and free way for Californians to request that all data brokers in the state delete their data through a single page, regardless of how they acquired that information. If data brokers don’t comply with these rules, the bill stipulates they be fined or otherwise penalized.

Hopefully this becomes the standard nation wide. Having a single page where you can delete your accounts on multiple services with a single click sounds like a data privacy dream.

• library_napper@monyet.cc
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

many advertising companies have argued it would undermine their industry. Those companies buy and sell consumer information such as location, address, online activity and more to various clients including law enforcement.

Lol. Thats the intent.

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

But the jobs! And the growth! The stocks! 401k!

Why is no one thinking about the Line? /s

• Melllvar@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

many advertising companies have argued it would undermine their industry.

Yes.

“Absent this data, smaller enterprises will lose a critical path to reach and attract new customers

They seemed to get along just fine for centuries without it.

"[…] and consumers overall will have less exposure to new products and services that may interest them,” a group of ad trade bodies wrote in a letter first reported by Adweek.

They say that like it’s a bad thing.

I will be availing myself of this law just as soon as the website is up.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

In a victory for privacy advocates and consumers, the California governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill that would enable residents to request that their personal information be deleted from the coffers of all the data brokers in the state.

The bill, SB 362, otherwise known as the Delete Act, was introduced in April 2023 by the state senator Josh Becker in an attempt to give Californians more control over their privacy.

While proponents of the bill have lauded it as a less tedious and more user-friendly way to reinforce existing California privacy laws, many advertising companies have argued it would undermine their industry.

Those companies buy and sell consumer information such as location, address, online activity and more to various clients including law enforcement.

“Absent this data, smaller enterprises will lose a critical path to reach and attract new customers, and consumers overall will have less exposure to new products and services that may interest them,” a group of ad trade bodies wrote in a letter first reported by Adweek.

The Delete Act “will improve everyone’s privacy rights and make California’s consumer privacy laws more user-friendly, while also strengthening current California law that requires data brokers to register with the state”, said Hayley Tsukayama, the associate director of legislative activism at digital rights group the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

The original article contains 642 words, the summary contains 218 words. Saved 66%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• snowe@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

“Absent this data, smaller enterprises will lose a critical path to reach and attract new customers, and consumers overall will have less exposure to new products and services that may interest them,” a group of ad trade bodies wrote in a letter first reported by Adweek.

I don’t see the downside. Literally all benefits. Less waste, less consumerism, less spying, less invasion of privacy, less corporations controlling our everyday lives. It’s all wins!

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

All data brokers in the state.

So they move out of state.

You can make whatever laws you want. These guys are in business because they circumvent those laws.

This new one looks like it’s meant to make people feel safer but not actually do anything to curb these data hoarders.

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

The world doesn’t work like that. They’ll move to poor countries, flood the local government officials with gifts, and set up shop there. The fuck some guy in Uganda or Belize gives a shit about you and your “data.”

We just need to reign in tech companies that they just can’t get this data. Period. That’s the only way. Cut it off at the source.

• Gutless2615@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The law applies to any data broker that buys and sells the information of Californians not just the ones based in the state

• PatFusty@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Someone correct me but how is this not a breach of the 5th amendment? The government cant just force a company to relinquish intellectual property regardless of how they got it

• ackzsel@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t think intimate details about a person is a companies intellectual property.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m genuinely interested in your interpretation of how your personal information can be considered “intellectual property” of a data broker.

• PatFusty@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Yeah I said correct me if im wrong because I wasnt sure.

I dont know if it works like this but i would think that when you use someones app or website or connections, and this company captures your information, this makes it their property. This would be akin to someone taking photos of you without your permission and selling them as stock photos. Those photos are theirs, as disgusting as it is and I dont think the government can step in to make you give that up. Obviously this analogy doesnt work because selling pictures like this is illegal but the idea is the same because you waive your rights when you use their products.

Again, not sure if thats how that works, only have a surface level understanding here.

• upforitbutnotdownforit@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Which is why no one mentioned or implied anything even remotely related to intellectual property. Not sure why it’s being brought up, but now we can get back on topic: people’s data being stolen, and then taking one small step towards rectifying that.

• emergencyfood@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago
      • Intellectual property rights are granted by the state, and can be revoked as per law.

• User data is not IP.

• The legal owner of data about an user is (usually) the user.