I’ve been using Proton Mail and VPN for a while now, and I’m just wondering how everyone else feels about them. I have this kind of inherent alight distrust of them just because they seem like they offer a lot for free and kind of have a Big Tech vibe about them, but there’s nothing for me to really substantiate that distrust with, its mostly just a feeling. That being said, I do use their services as mentioned and they work pretty well, even on the free teir. So aside from that one instance where they gave that guy’s info to the feds, is there any reason not to trust them with my data?

• Cheradenine@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

So aside from that one instance where they gave that guy’s info to the feds, is there any reason not to trust them with my data?

They were under a court order. They still have to follow their country’s laws.

That is not to say you shouldn’t question them, but that particular example should not be used.

If that person had better opsec it never would have been a thing.

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah I think most people confuse privacy with criminal behaviour. Proton has your back when it comes to the former, but they aren’t there to enable you to pirate or cause trouble, hiding behind their service.

I don’t see how making sure criminals are brought to justice is the same as protecting your anonymity on the net.

And even if mandated under law, it’s not like they actually log your travels and are handing that to law enforcement. Whatever they hand over still falls under their services guidelines. It’s not like they are handing over logs of your travels to the FBI.

• FIST_FILLET@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

seem like they offer a lot for free

i gladly pay for proton knowing that i’m helping fund a critical tool for activists under oppressive regimes :)

• archchan@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Based on my own privacy/security criteria, I chose and payed for protonmail when that was the only thing Proton had. I’ve been very happy with them and it’s nice to see how much they’ve since popped off.

• Izzy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I don’t trust them implicitly, but I do believe they are less likely to do certain things than Google which is enough to use them instead of Google for Email.

• TylerDurdenJunior@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Proton used to have a deal with the Israeli company Radware, for DDoS protection. They have written a few disclaimers about how Radware only handled incoming traffic still with two encryption layers intact (SSL & OpenPGPjs), as if that was some sort of real protection if a company has access to raw incoming traffic.

Honestly, a company aimed at privacy, boasting of Swiss privacy, should know better than to route anything through Israeli companies.

• Lolors17@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I do not trust any company, even if it is “privacy-friendly” or “anonymous”. There is no way to proofe this, sure I could view the code but there might just be a slight possibility that the company is saving and stealing your data.Self-Hostinmg is for me the way to go.

• soulfirethewolf@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Yeah I would trust them. But I don’t think I would use them because I just find their mail service to have too much friction in a lack of interoperability with clients unless you not only pay money, but also download a whole extra program just to decrypt your email. It’s essentially a walled garden

• Father_Redbeard@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I stopped using them because their Android app is absolute dog shit. But I would trust them more than Google.

• XTL@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

For some use cases, perhaps. I do trust them to keel over as soon as anything looking like an authority sends a request. I don’t trust them to be as good as their marketing.

No news about scams or particularly evil policies yet, which is far better than many providers.