The only justification for not doing this is protectionism. Starmer is placing party above country. We can see how damaging the Tories are. I do not want to see their likes again.

• HumanPenguin@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I really hate the claim that PR will mean we wont see the tories again.

Honestly it will mean we will see less tory only govs. But greater the. None. And likely many tory lead mixed governments.

I stronly support PR. But lets not make non valid claims about the end of tory rule.

• jabjoe@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Absolutely. Same is true of any thing too far left too. PR keeps things more centred. Sure far right and far left may acturally get some seats, but their power will only ever be proportional. Right now, with Conservatives and FPTP, we have far right in power. Yet the country’s majority are progressive.

• scrchngwsl@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

It’s also a deeply unprincipled argument. If you support PR on principle then you should support it even if it means Tory governments for the rest of time. If you only support it because it means “your side” gets in power more often then that’s no different from Starmer supporting FPTP because it means “his side” gets into power more often.

• Syldon@feddit.ukOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

You would not see a batch of Tories like the current one. The whole push behind PR atm is the current corruption in the Tories. For the Tories to have any power base they would have to change. Their extreme right factions would not be tolerated. Hence:

I do not want to see their likes again.

PR voting is an empowerment. People take a lot more interest when they feel their vote matters. Lying to your voter base would be highlighted a lot more.