Rolling coal is the practice of tampering with a vehicle’s emissions control system, causing it to spew black clouds of sooty exhaust.

• ZzyzxRoad@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Cops pull people over for having something hanging from their rearview mirror. I would think they’d love to be ticketing people for having these things.

• luckyhunter@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

It’s a federal emission standard though, not a state one. It’s only illegal to do in New Jersey, Maryland and Maine. Every other state once you own it, you can install these devices, or do a EGR delete entirely if you want to. In states that do emission testing on private vehicles you’d want it to be reversible of course.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Cities have emission standards. Police could try harder if they wanted to.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

That’s true, beyond the health and environment aspects, they’re obscuring visibility. While some people I talked to said “it’s not toxic bro!” and they don’t believe in climate change, they can’t deny it obscures visibility.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

I don’t speak German but I’m guessing they’re ticketing/impounding vehicles that have modifications which violate emissions. Sometimes US cops to that to street racers… the problem is that’s because the average officer doesn’t like kids who modify Asian cars but they basically are the same demographic who would modify a truck.

As long as we’re talking about that, the street racing and ‘sideshow’ thing is pretty out of control too. I’d be happy to see them step up enforcement on that bullshit.