• Showroom7561@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Rolling coal is the practice of installing a tampering device to pump more diesel into a vehicle’s engine than it can handle, leading it to spew out sooty black clouds of exhaust that pollute the air.

The practice is sometimes used as a form of anti-environmental protest. Coal rollers, or the drivers who engage in the action, may intentionally target Teslas, Priuses or other electric or hybrid vehicles.

Do people decide to be this awful out of the blue? Or is some genetic defect from being inbred?

• the_q@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Take a bunch of white dudes with no personality or interests of their own and expose them to manipulative content and ideas presented in a “cool” way and BAM this is what you get.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I target liberals every day yet an electric car triggers me to the point of needing to kill off the off the only planet we have by burning more diesel at its highest cost in decades.

• Albbi@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Albertan here. Had a little Toyota truck in front of me the other day. I always liked those because my uncle had one. When the light turned green the modified exhaust spewed black smoke from a low exhaust point, nearly blinding me and smelling like hell. I wanna stick a potato in that exhaust pipe so bad.

• Metal Zealot@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Fuck those guys, seriously.
          On more than one occasion, when it’s been a nice day out we’ve went to go for a walk, some asshole spews black toxic fumes in our faces and drives away laughing.

• Ktastic@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Out of the blue. Was driving through Norfolk a few years ago and this ford pickup decided to roll coal several times in the I-64 tunnels between Newport News and Norfolk. Dude blacked out the entire tunnel multiple times and they were clearly trying to cause a major accident. I follwed the sonofaremoved to get his plates and tried to call the highway police number but the lady on the other end refused to listen (kept pretending i was talking about normal exhaust shit) and started threatening me for reporting it.

• Lyricism6055@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

They fucking do this to me on my bike too. I don’t even ride on the roads! It’s only when I’m crossing the streets that I see cars

• GankousKhan@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

All the fucking time but fortunately I have my ulock in a sleeve within reach and can take out their rear views as needed or window for more deserving assholes

• snekerpimp@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s evidently the mating call of the redneck, signaling to potential mates that they may have a micro-penis, but they have enough money to pay for plastic surgery, the holy grail of rednecks.

• Omega_Haxors@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Pedophiles are genuinely the shittiest people you will ever interact with and they deserve nothing but to be [redacted oh my god so redacted]

• VieuxQueb@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

They don’t just look like giant asshole, the act like it ! I have seen a few here too (Gatineau/Quebec/Canada) and they love to piss off people by spewing that black stinky smoke directly in the face of bike riders and people walking around. Pisses me off that these assholes make enough money to buy these huge trucks just to piss off good people.

• Nouveau_Burnswick@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Québec could benifit from an Ontario style drive clean/emissions testing. Wonder if we could add noise tests at the same time?

• VieuxQueb@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

That could explain why I don’t see them in Ottawa (exept with a Quebec plate on). But I’m sure some Ontarians have it too. Asshole are everywhere afterall.

• Nouveau_Burnswick@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I used to see them all the time in more rural Ontario. Drive clean also got rolled into the new DriveON since I left, so I don’t know what the impacts are there.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

The real solution is Biden doing an executive order that there needs to be federal emissions tests like some states have. Then codify it when we get a functional government again.

Not just for shit like this, but when you stop and think for 2 seconds, it’s fucking insane that we basically let any vehicle use our roads. There’s a shit ton of vehicles that aren’t fit for the road, and we’re just taking the owners word that they’re safe.

It doesn’t even have to be annual checks right away, have em do it every 3-5 years and then maybe see if we can do annuals later.

• Fredselfish @lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Lot of states do inspections Oklahoma definitely needs them. And I see these trucks all the time in my state. Didn’t know it was a device doing it until I read this article but now I know. Bullshit and we need to take the license away from people who do this.

• eek2121@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I disagree. maybe for diesel vehicles like this, but for most vehicles such programs are not effective. We killed ours off completely a while back.

Decades ago in another state, my car was slightly out spec for the year, and it costed me $1,200 to fix. At the time I was living on my own and made $9/hour. I needed my vehicle to go to work to earn a living. I was lucky enough to be able to get a loan from a friend.

The only thing inspections lead to is a tax on the poor, just like most other types of vehicle citations.

The only way such a program is acceptable to me is if there were some mechanism to get your vehicle “repaired” at no cost to you.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I mean, you have a point, but the counter is that these vehicles are literally not safe to drive either. There’s no easy perfect solution, I think we should regulate cars, I’ve seen some real POS cars on the road that shouldn’t be

• biddy@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You’re absolutely right, but this argument about a “tax on the poor” is used to justify everything that’s wrong with cars. We need to solve this properly with a social safety net and alternatives to cars.

• sucricdrawkcab@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

This and people getting profiled and harassed. So many stories of people in bone stock cars getting pulled over, stopped for long periods of time because an officer thinks they might have something illegal installed. People moding cars like this will most likely just pay someone to pass the test because that’s exactly how people get around these tests now.

• artaxadepressedhorse@lemmyngs.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I loved the fact that I didn’t need an emissions test for several years after buying a new car, but I hate that it essentially boils down to an inconvenience, a tax of sorts, for less financially inclined people. Even if emissions tests are free, it’s still time wasted, but only if you’re not wealthy.