Well, everybody born in the american continent is technically “american” too, including Central and South America. Is there a specific term in english for these people?

Edit: Thanks for all your answers, especially the wholesome ones and those patient enough to explain it thoroughly. Since we (South Americans) and you (North Americans) use different models/conventions of continent boundaries, it makes sense for you to go by “Americans”, while it doesn’t for us.

• morgunkorn
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

“American” is the official name, though throughout history attempts have been made to find alternatives. You can read more on the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonyms_for_the_United_States

The only officially and commonly used alternative for referring to the people of the United States in English is to refer to them as citizens of that country.[18] Another alternative is US-American,[19] also spelled US American.

Several single-word English alternatives for American have been suggested over time, especially Usonian, popularized by architect Frank Lloyd Wright,[20] and the nonce term United-Statesian.[21]

Writer H. L. Mencken collected a number of proposals from between 1789 and 1939, finding terms including Columbian, Columbard, Fredonian, Frede, Unisian, United Statesian, Colonican, Appalacian, Usian, Washingtonian, Usonian, Uessian, U-S-ian, Uesican, and United Stater.[22] Names for broader categories include terms such as Western Hemispherian, New Worlder, and North Atlantican.[23][24][25]

Nevertheless, no alternative to “American” is common in English.[18]

• morgunkorn
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

That sentence stumped me too, really weird wording. Apparently it means “rare, seldom used” in US English.

Edit: just checked Urban Dictionary and welp, I didn’t foresee the British slang meaning o_O

• loopy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m definitely going to start using Usonian. It seems the most natural. We probably can’t use Colombian because… you know…that’s a country already haha

• Corroded@leminal.space
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Yankee (or Yank) is a colloquial term for Americans in English; cognates can be found in other languages. Within the United States, Yankee usually refers to people specifically from New England or the Northern United States, though it has been applied to Americans in general since the 18th century, especially by the British.[26] The earliest recorded use in this context is in a 1784 letter by Horatio Nelson.[26]

I might start calling Americans Yankees

• TheDoozer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

You will almost certainly annoy or piss off some Southerners (Those of the United States south of the Mason-Dixon Line, that is), then.

So definitely do it.

• sin_free_for_00_days@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Some British guy said something like,“I bet the yanks won’t like that” (Whatever it was, I can’t remember). I replied,“Hell, the confederates won’t like it much either” He was very confused.

• Ech@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Anyone that takes offense to being called a Yank is someone that would’ve been happily fighting for the Confederates during the Civil War. So fuck 'em.

• PrincessLeiasCat@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Not necessarily - there’s also a MLB team with this name, so folks from different regions of the US may get pissed off/confused.

It just sounds weird to me personally, but I know it’s not an uncommon term in places like the UK/EU & I don’t take offense.

Depends on where the person using the term is from I guess?

• Swedneck
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

i invite them to travel to europe and try

• JackFrostNCola@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

And Aussies take that another step further and say “Seppo” which is short for “Septic Tank”, which is rhyming slang for “Yank”.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Do it, it’s probably the best option really. Feel free to call us Yanks too. Unlike the others proposed it’s one where any of us will know what you mean