• kristina [she/her]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 个月前

fr i got in a text joust with someone the other day over marxist interpretations of confucius and whether it can be called liberation theology, citing shit ripped off of baidu

• GarbageShoot [he/him]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 个月前

Something left out of that conversation (last I checked) is that Confucianism is pretty clearly not a religion by any recognizable standard, but a collection of texts, attitudes, and social practices. It is connected to religious ideas about ancestors and such, but they aren’t the same. Forgot your conversation was on a tangent about Taoism, which is popularly religious.

Also creating a third term to describe the broader genre instead of slapping the Christian name on everything is probably a good call.

• axont [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 个月前

it feels simultaneously very dire and also very funny how this person’s worldview is very directly informed by a single Twitch streamer. Is that how you kids absorb politics these days? This person made a huge post about how Marxists develop political awareness and didn’t use the words Marx, Lenin, Mao, didn’t mention specific policies. They just mention a Twitch streamer and discord channels

glass houses and everything, since I know we’re a terminally online forum, but this whole thesis seems terminally online. Politics as posting styles

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 个月前

it feels simultaneously very dire and also very funny how this person’s worldview is very directly informed by a single Twitch streamer.

That scares me, it really does. There’s a lot of people, young people especially, getting their marching orders from some nepo baby asshole with a headset that tells them what to think and shapes their worldviews. heated-gamer-moment

• axont [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 个月前

I don’t think it’s that scary, more just kind of bleak. I don’t think these very online younger people are doing a lot of organizing or IRL work, are they? What do they even do except post?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 个月前

I don’t think these very online younger people are doing a lot of organizing or IRL work, are they? What do they even do except post?

Shaping the future perspectives of a large part of a generation of young people has lifelong consequences that can be truly hard to predict, but are present all the same.

• GarbageShoot [he/him]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 个月前

Like the hippies of the past, these fuckers are going to one day be condescendingly telling us “I had a communist phase too” when for them “communist” means watching streams and caping for the streamer on a forum.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 个月前

smug logiclord scientimistic LARPing talk without any actual scientific expertise presented, let alone references

presumes dissenters are illogical children by default because they are the out-group to the logiclord and the scientimistic LARPing talk

“vitriolic”

• UmbraVivi [he/him, she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 个月前

I never wanna hear the word “cognitive dissonance” again. It is literally exclusively used to say “How can people have other beliefs than me? Could they have reasons? No, it must be this fancy word I saw in a twitter post one time. I am the protagonist of reality surrounded by cognitively dissonant NPCs.”

• Judge_Jury [comrade/them, he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 个月前

Then I’ll need a better phrase to describe the psychological tension between two of a person’s beliefs or experiences that each imply a mutually exclusive set of facts to the other, because that does not roll off the tongue

An example I see regularly is in parents who have Dobsonoid views on parenting. They believe that all disobedience must be painfully corrected to make what they see as a good person, and then they watch it just not work that way. Their resolution of the tension between their belief and their experience is usually a rationalization that an outside influence, particularly schooling, must have corrupted their child

• UmbraVivi [he/him, she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 个月前

I know it’s a real phenomenon, the term has just been abused into meaninglessness. Kinda like how “psyop” has just become the new word for “conspiracy” or how the internet villain of the week apparently is always a “textbook narcissist” now.

• Judge_Jury [comrade/them, he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 个月前

I agree, and it’s frustrating. I’m open to running on a terminology treadmill, and I’ve never understood why some people hate that idea so much, but it seems like new or presently-unused concise terms don’t surface quickly enough to keep up with how quickly they get debased

• Dolores [love/loves]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 个月前

i’m with you, it’s completely futile to make a stand on some word until you’ve got an alternative to shill. i resent the idea someone’s going to make the most uncharitable interpretation of a wordchoice when if you skirted around it, they wouldn’t even get what you’re talking about

• LiberalSoCalist@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 个月前

Well goddamn I’ve wasted nearly a decade reading political theory and supporting local organizing efforts. Little did I know that the key to achieving true leftism was getting mad that a discord server called my favorite streamer a nonce. Shame on me for taking a shortcut.

• kristina [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 个月前

former conservative? i have always been a communist. i did have a period of apathy when i was a rebellious teenager that hated everyone cause of dysphoria. then i went ‘back’ to being a communist when my skull stopped being a frying pan

also the idea that communism is a shortcut is absurd. you can have a surface level understanding and be a communist, but i am still learning things and improving my understanding of communism even after decades of being a communist. if you ever stop learning it is time for you to shut up and let the younger people cook.

• CarbonScored [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 个月前

Literally “I used to care about people and realised core fundamentals about the mechanisms of world politics and money, but then someone was mean to me online”

• Frogmanfromlake [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 个月前

Holy shit it never ends. I remember hearing similar bullshit in the 90’s. Just replace Vaush with Ayn Rand or Milton Friedman. This guy is projecting hard with the “most tankies are former Evangelicals.” Wasn’t aware that the local Communists in my overwhelmingly Catholic country were fundies all along. Most of them follow Liberation Theory. This asshole probably isn’t even aware of what that is because Vaush hasn’t read the Wikipedia article on it for him.

Vaushites love pulling the “America bad” whiny shit but will do the same with “Russia/China” bad without a shred of irony.

I do worry about the future of leftists in NATO countries that do everything online. Why bother reading a boring ass book when I can watch a Twitch streamer give me theory in a fun and entertaining way? He sounds intelligent and is so sophisticated. Definitely not a geographic dumbfuck who thinks Portugal is in South America.

The only thing that gives me a little hope is knowing Vaush is disproportionately represented online. Hasan has over three times the popularity of him and is more well known among “normies.” I know Hasan fans and have met a few in person. I’ve never met a Vaush fan outside of an online forum. Maybe they’re more common in NATO countries that lap his shit up.

• WhyEssEff [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 个月前

jesse-wtf I’m a Reform Jewish woman who was a liberal who had a brainbreak moment when visiting idf-cool and having the cognitive dissonance too apparent to ignore when they showed us literal minefields and tried to justify them. None of this screed applies to me.