• @SpacePirate@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    7 months ago

What is the size of the “median” home in each area? Single family, or townhome, or condo?

Given that this appears to be a median average, this graphic does not account for the extremely wide variance depending on the cases above. A two bedroom condo and a five bedroom single family home could easily have a $2000/mo variance in the mortgage cost.

The other item that would perhaps be useful would be to call out what the down payment requirement is for each of these areas; ie, you can only achieve a $3000/mo mortgage if you’ve also put down $140,000, which is unachievable for over 90% of the country.

• @SatanicNotMessianic@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      87 months ago

From the Bay Area, $1.5M will get you a two bed one bath or three bed 1.5 bath home built in 1925 or so. You can buy in a lower end neighborhood for a little less or a higher end one for a bit more, but the standard is going to be a craftsman home from 1906 with a driveway if you’re lucky.

I think the graphic also used a 20% down payment and a slightly over 6% mortgage in the calculation.

I just want to retire and move someplace cheap, like NYC or London.

• KingJalopy
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          7 months ago

That’s insane to me. I live in Tulsa, OK and bought a nice 2400sq ft home with 4 bedrooms, 2 living rooms, dining room, 2 full baths and garage and in a cul-de-sac for 120k. But the downside is I’m living in Oklahoma…so… Yeah.

• @Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            27 months ago

I feel that. I got a cute little almost 4 bed, 1.5 bath farm house in a smallish town in Wisconsin for 120k a couple of years ago. When I first moved here I was a shut in and the trade-off of not really having stuff to do out of the house was fine, but now I’m wanting to go enjoy the nightlife, have a good meal that isn’t a bar burger (I can get some damn good bar burgers, but still) and also drive less so we’re looking at moving to a bigger city in the nearish future.

On the upside thanks to the hyperinflation we’ve been able to get a chunk of equity that’ll help us a lot when we do move

• KingJalopy
              link
              fedilink
              English
              17 months ago

Well the good thing about Tulsa is it’s still a fairly large city and there’s tons of shit to do here. Tons of great restaurants and great nightlife. And as far as Oklahoma goes, it’s extremely liberal here in the city. Which is crazy because historically not so much lol. This is home of the biggest race riot ever in the country. It’s not the best place in the world but it’s extremely cheap to live here and has everything I had when I lived in Dallas. Minus all the traffic lol.

• @Adi2121@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Where in the Bay? Here in the Tri-Valley, you can get a 3-4 bed, 2 bath, for 1.5-.8 mil.

• @SatanicNotMessianic@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          77 months ago

Even in downtown San Jose you’re talking about seven figures for an ancient craftsman with outdated electric and plumbing. Willow Glen, Los Gatos, Cupertino, you’re pushing $2M.

If you’re willing to commute from way up in the east bay, you can do a bit better, you’re right, but if you’re commuting to a South Bay company you’re paying for it in travel time and stress.

And tbh, I was stationed for a bit near Dublin. I can’t swear to what the prices are like now, but man, now that I’m out of that line of work I’d choose to live in East SJ or the peninsula instead.

But those are super reasonable prices, I will happily admit, and if you work in SF the commute might be worth it. We just need much more mass transit.

• @Redscare867@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      77 months ago

There is no way that this graphic isn’t including the entire metro area. The city I currently live in is on the list and so is the city that I am planning to relocate to. Prices shown do not accurately reflect the prices of houses/condos that I would consider “in the city”.

• Neato
      link
      fedilink
      37 months ago

Yep. You’re not getting any kind of stand-alone home in D.C. for $139k salary unless it’s a huge piece of crap.

• ryan
    link
    fedilink
    247 months ago

lmao cries in San Jose

I mean, the thing is, it’s not even that great a city. Like, sure the tech jobs are here, and the bay area overall is nice and has temperate weather, but San Jose itself is a giant sprawling suburb. Downtown is “okay” and we do have public transit in the form of the light rail but it’s pretty slow.

I’m paying $3.4k to rent a 2x2.5 townhome with my partner currently. It’s very nice, and my landlords are just a very nice couple rather than a company, but dang is it expensive just to live here.

And before anyone asks, I live here 1) because I work in tech and the jobs are here, and 2) because my family all lives in the Bay Area and they’re very important to me.

Anyway, my formal recommendation to any of you looking to move to San Jose is to basically not do that. Find a remote job and work in tech that way, or hybrid so you can live further out and commute only a couple times a week.

• @hperrin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      67 months ago

I saved for a few years, and every amount I saved was offset by the housing prices going up. I eventually had $300K saved up and couldn’t afford the down payment on a family home.

That’s just completely and utterly unsustainable. I live in San Diego County now, which isn’t a whole lot better.

• @rosymind@leminal.space
        link
        fedilink
        English
        27 months ago

My family was renting a house is S.D for more than a decade. They got booted when the son-in-law of the owner stuck her in a retirement home and needed to pay for it with the house. (Speculation from what we were told, and put together)

It was a shitty, shitty, home. Carpets were gross and floor underneath likely needs to be redone. Kitchen is from the 50’s or 60’s but with 90’s appliances. It had a bad linoleum floor, with completely out of date cabinets and faux bricks that had been painted over a bunch of times. Place likely needed new plumbing and definitely new electrical. The roof needed work; there was likely mold in the bathroom including places in the wall that were squishy. The yard was small and filled in with broken bits of concrete mixed with clay.

It was sold for more than $750,000

• @xamboni@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      17 months ago

I work in tech as well and can still barely afford most of the rent prices I see here. It’s horrible.

• @SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      17 months ago

I like San Jose - it’s a cozy-sized city with all the arts. I just could never scrape together enough money for a house.

• VanitasTheUnversed
    link
    fedilink
    English
    247 months ago

I saw a house in Phoenix that was in my price range. I thought, “Wow, this house has a lot of natural light.”

The last photo was a picture of the roof, or lack thereof.

• @ShortBoweledClown@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    217 months ago

I’d love to know where the houses you can afford on a $140K salary in DC are. Unless house here is loosely defined as a place where you live (apartments, condos), I’m certain this data is flawed.

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      147 months ago

It says “homes” and not “houses”, so probably apartments and condos indeed

• @cybersandwich@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      57 months ago

It’s gotta include condos…any condos. Like studio sized condo from the 60s in a dumpy building with neighbors that have 3 families living in a one bedroom

• @pixxelkick@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      7 months ago

At min 5% down payment and 140k salary (lets say 100k after taxes), with 1k home expenses per month you’d clock in at max approval of up to $369,178 mortgage, clocking in at a max monthly mortgage of $1,654. Would require a down payment of $19,500

Feel free to check out this link below to see all the valid houses listed on the first realtor website that came up for me, filtered down to normal houses that are at that price point or lower, in DC area

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Washington_DC/type-single-family-home/beds-2/baths-1/pnd-hide/fc-hide/price-na-369178?view=map&pos=38.945953%2C-77.065614%2C38.80085%2C-76.854635%2C12.631499999999999&qdm=true

This one in particular is at the very top end of what you can afford, but I’d absolutely buy that house in an instant, decent location, looks gorgeous, etc etc.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3907-Billings-Pl_Capitol-Heights_MD_20743_M61312-81306

• @ShortBoweledClown@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        7 months ago

with 1k home expenses per month

Lmao. DC is one of the top HCOL cities in the country. I also don’t think your calculation includes any of the taxes, insurance, etc you need for a house.

The first link you shared, literally all of the houses are east of the river. Talk to anyone in this area about recommendations on living in that area.

Second link is MD not DC.

Thanks for doing this research though.

link
              fedilink
              English
              27 months ago

Not really. No. Often they are much cheaper. Gas/electricity is a lot more expensive in low cost of living areas, due to transport costs.

$1000 or so is pretty normal in big cities for monthly house costs, most of which is utilities. If your utility bill is over a thousand dollars you either own a tesla, mine crypto, or grow hydroponics.

Or the other handful of expensive hobbies of course. Aquariums, 3d printing, so on and so forth.

Taxes usually are like 200-250.

Maint should be ~100/month if you got a proper inspection done and ensured there aren’t any serious issues.

This doesn’t include major maintenance not all houses need, like new roof, new water heater, new furnace, new AC, etc. Just general passive maintenance.

That number is purely “how much does the house cost to not get foreclosed” which is what banks care about.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  17 months ago

DC rates atm are average of ~3.5k property taxes, quite low electric rate at 15 cents, gas at ~$1.50

DC’s utility rates are extremely low and very affordable, and property taxes are a smidge on the high side but not that high (about $300/month)

So maybe closer to $1,100 instead of $1000

These are hard numbers a person can literally look up, so I have no idea wtf you are talking about, those numbers are very low for a city.

• @BigDaddySlim@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    157 months ago

My dumbass had a nice 3 bed 2 bath home in NM that I was paying a measley $600 a month as a first time buyer. I then sold it and moved to the Boston area.

I regret everything.

• @SexyTimeSasquatch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    147 months ago

It would be much more useful to see a comparison to income so you could get a better idea of how realistic purchasing a home actually is. For example, Buffalo has cheap homes, but can you get a job there that afford one? And how is the quality of life there? How is crime? Like, it might be the case that San Jose is a better deal or more realistic if salaries are high enough to justify the home price. Because right now, this is more a map of just, what is the overall economy like for each city.

link
    fedilink
    English
    117 months ago

median price home

So I nice mid life house…

Median price homes aren’t affordable, start home and median price home are mutually exclusive.

Median price home literally is going to be about the halfway point between a starter home and a fucking mansion

It boils my blood everytime I see these info dumps starting off with average or medium house prices.

That’s not a fucking starter home price.

It’s like looking at the median price of a car and then trying to say that cars aren’t affordable for your first car.

You don’t spend 20k to 30k in your first car, you buy near the bottom percentile as your starter. Your first car is like a fraction of the cost of the median.

• @sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      87 months ago

Exactly. The median purchase price for new cars is ~$45k or something, yet I’d never spend that much despite making more than median salary. Things don’t scale like that.

• @xChronoZerox@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      37 months ago

But what should be a starter home is also increased…unless you like manufactured homes…which is also expensive >.>

link
        fedilink
        English
        -37 months ago

Not sure what you are talking about. Starter homes are still the same. Basic features, unfinished basement, no garage, 2-3 beds, 1-2 baths, likely 20-30 years old and requires some repairs.

Typically will be farther out of the city. It will be a longer commute but still within city limits. It will have some amenities nearby but not exactly on main street, but enough to suffice.

For most large cities I have looked at, usually is in the range of 150k to 250k. Totally affordable for someone making a decent wage of 50k+ to save up the down payment of 7.5k to 12.5k over the course of 1-2 years.

• @xChronoZerox@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Where I’m at even manufactured homes are being built and starting at 100-200k. Shoot, my 50yo house was 400 and is now estimated to go for 500k which is wild to me after living here for a while.

I wish I was closer to where you’re at 😂

Edit: my house isn’t too crazy either. 1 car garage, 1 1/2 bath, 1300sq ft

• SokathHisEyesOpen
    link
    fedilink
    English
    87 months ago

Good luck buying a house in Seattle on a $170,000 salary. It’s going to be a beat-down, tiny thing, with no yard, in a questionable area.

• @skyspydude1@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          37 months ago

That’s honestly what’s been happening. When we were shopping around there, I’d been seeing neighborhoods being fixed up one by one by contractors, because you’ve been able to buy places for literally $1k, and have been selling for $250k. It’s pretty wild to see, especially when some of these neighborhoods get completely gentrified and suddenly all the houses jump up another $100k. You’ll see a neighborhood of houses that might have a couple sales for $20-50k, and then 1-2 of the renovated ones selling for ~$200k, and literally on the other side of the road those exact same homes are going for $300-400k.

• @dhork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      27 months ago

Maybe all those open toilets in the basement are not as appealing as Pittsburghers think they are…

• @Treczoks@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    77 months ago

Now that insurances against natural disasters start costing a fortune in places like Florida, and you probably have to have such an insurance to get a mortgage there, it, the costs for housing down there will probably skyrocket soon.

• @OnionQuest@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    77 months ago

They should include the interest rate they are using to calculate the mortgage. Based on what’s provided they are assuming around a 6% mortgage which is no longer available. Tack an extra $1,000 monthly payment onto that million dollar home and an extra $40,000 to your income to make it affordable. (Assuming debt/income ratio and income taxes)

Did I miss anything?

• @AlecSadler@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    7 months ago

The median household income in Portland, OR is $78k and the salary needed to afford a house is $136k?

Yup, sounds about right.

edit: Looks like I should consider moving to Pittsburgh…

• @pingveno@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      27 months ago

My husband and I recently bought a house here in Portland. We’re on two software engineers’ salaries with no kids so we can very much afford it, but it would have been a squeeze without an inheritance from my grandparents. It’s times like these where I truly appreciate the ubiquity of privilege. If they had been your average Black citizen, they would not have been given the opportunities to accumulate the wealth that I then inherited.

• @pingveno@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          17 months ago

I’d love to! To be clear, we’ve both lived in Portland our whole lives. This is just the first time we’ve owned a home.