I’m in the market for a new laptop. Preferably under $2000 and have good specs. 16 GB ram minimum and 500 GB SSD minimum. What recommendations does Lemmy have? If more details are needed please specify what and I’ll answer

EDIT: thank you everyone for the answers 🙂 I do not need anymore suggestions

• SolarythOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

So I ordered the DIY edition and when it arrived the screw to input the SSD was stripped and wouldn’t budge. I emailed their support and they said they would replace the motherboard, and when that arrived it had the exact same stripped screw. I told them about it and they said to ship to their repair center so I did. I didnt receive further details about it for a week so I just decided to refund because it had already been more than a month since i first got it. Of course I could’ve waited a few more weeks for it but I urgently need a laptop now and don’t think I could have waited that long.

• Gnorv@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

The exact same thing happening twice seems somewhat unlikely… You sure you knew what you were looking at? I bought 3 Frameworks for different members of my family, DIY and preassembled, and had no problems.

• SolarythOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Apparently there was a batch of laptops/mainboards that had this problem and I got really unlucky to get both from that batch

• funkycarrot
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Damn, did you consider buying it used? Should be faster than what you any through and cheaper. And considering the modularity, less risk if the laptpp wasn’t treated well.