I’m in the market for a new laptop. Preferably under $2000 and have good specs. 16 GB ram minimum and 500 GB SSD minimum. What recommendations does Lemmy have? If more details are needed please specify what and I’ll answer

EDIT: thank you everyone for the answers 🙂 I do not need anymore suggestions

• space@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

What are you going to use it for? You have to give us more details, a vague question will lead to generic answers that will probably not be the best choice for you.

• pimeys@lemmy.nauk.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Lenovo Thinkpad T14s AMD. Runs Linux perfectly, is fast, has a great keyboard, has a great trackpoint, and has good battery life.

If it doesn’t run Linux, I don’t buy the laptop.

• moreeni@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

A lot of laptops have proprietary drivers that are Windows only. Wi-fi/touchpads not working is a common issue

• ditty@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Linux support for Apple Silicon is still early stages, for example.

• Noedel@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

My hp laptop has some bang & Olufsen speaker in it, and on Linux it sounds faint no matter what I try. Mic also very low volume.

• pimeys@lemmy.nauk.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

None of the new removed laptops can run it really well at least. It’s being reverse-engineered by a small team, so maybe everything works in a few years. You can buy a Dell or Lenovo with Linux pre-installed and all the hardware works. Not so with removed.

• QuarterSwede@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

The Thinkpad E series AMD ones are also really good. I use one daily at work to run 2 monitors and its own (for 3 total). It doesn’t hiccup at all on an AMD 5000 chip with Ryzen mobile. Battery life is fabulous when running just its own screen. I routinely get 8 hours of web/office suite work done.

• SolarythOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Thank you for the recommendation I’ll look into it

• SolarythOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I recently ordered one and had some issues with it so I returned it. Would prefer one from another brand as I did not have a good experience with Framework.

• SolarythOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

So I ordered the DIY edition and when it arrived the screw to input the SSD was stripped and wouldn’t budge. I emailed their support and they said they would replace the motherboard, and when that arrived it had the exact same stripped screw. I told them about it and they said to ship to their repair center so I did. I didnt receive further details about it for a week so I just decided to refund because it had already been more than a month since i first got it. Of course I could’ve waited a few more weeks for it but I urgently need a laptop now and don’t think I could have waited that long.

• Gnorv@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

The exact same thing happening twice seems somewhat unlikely… You sure you knew what you were looking at? I bought 3 Frameworks for different members of my family, DIY and preassembled, and had no problems.

• SolarythOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Apparently there was a batch of laptops/mainboards that had this problem and I got really unlucky to get both from that batch

• funkycarrot
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Damn, did you consider buying it used? Should be faster than what you any through and cheaper. And considering the modularity, less risk if the laptpp wasn’t treated well.

• brandon@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

$2000 should get you something pretty nice. Do you have anything specific in mind that you’re planning to do with it? Important stuff to keep in mind up front, in no particular order: do you play games? How big should the screen be? How long do you want to use it on battery? Any operating system preferences?

• SolarythOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Hi thanks for the questions. I plan to just generally use for browsing the web, watching YouTube and of course Lemmy lol. I’d also like to use it for school work and coding. I was hoping to play some games on it yes. The screen should be around 13" as I’ll be carrying it out a lot and need it to be portable. Above that its too big for me. I’d like a pretty good battery life around 7+ hour, enough to last an average day of use. No preferences on operating systems but I’ve only ever used windows and a tiny bit of Linux.

• Briongloid@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

If your gaming is eSports, your battery life would benefit from an AMD iGPU rather than an NVIDIA GPU.

7840U for the CPU which is integrated graphics.

• SolarythOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Do you have any specific one in mind?

• föderal umdrehen@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

This really depends on your use case and your screen size/portability/power requirements. Laptops with AMD processors tend to be the better choice in terms of power/battery life. I would probably skip Z series, E series, and ThinkBooks.

• krash@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

And skip the L series. They’re budget variants and it shows in the quality.

• hellweaver666
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m a Mac guy so my goto answer would always be something from Apple. If I was looking for non-apple hardware though I would look at Framework laptops because lack of upgradability is my biggest peeve about Apple gear.

• krash@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m eyeing the M1/M2 macs with asahi, but I’m going to let it mature more for a bit before I take the plunge.

• krash@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

The distro (asahi) is still in very early development, gpu acceleration was just recently added. That along with a esoteric architecture, will cause headaches for the uninitiated.

The macs themselves hardware wise are quite mature, but I can’t for the life of me use MacOS.

• 10_0@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

If your a Apple ecosystem user then a macbook, a framework If your a windows user, or a system76 Laptop for linux. Macbooks are good for the ecosystem, if you can afford the 500gb version than good for you.
    Frameworks are good if you want to upgrade to a 1tb or a better laptop CPU GPU screen ect in the future if you can follow upgrade instructions.
    System76 laptops are affordable and come with Linux rather than windows without half the function keys not working. (And has better integration as it runs pop-os system76s Linux distro)
    With a 2k budget you basicly can buy anything and maybe be specific based on OS preference, brand preference, and what your gonna use the laptop for. (E.g my laptop is >200£ is only used for web browsing and word processing therefore its a Linux machine with low end specs from lenovo)

• joneskind@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

There’s no way to answer that question without knowing what you want to do with your laptop.

If you want anything but gaming, go for a Mac, especially if you are a musician (every Mac comes with GarageBand, is silent and has crazy battery life). You’ll also find the iWork suite installed for office work. No hidden cost.

For photo editing, built-in Photos app gives a good alternative to Lightroom.

For more advanced stuff you can also buy Affinity Photos or Pixelmator Pro, which are great alternatives to Photoshop, without the cost and the weight on the system

Little built-in apps like Reminders and Notes can be life-changer if you’re in GTD stuff.

The feature that impressed me the most back in the day was preview. Select any file and press the space bar. You’ll get instant preview (whatever the file is) without launching an app.

If you want to game, it depends on the games you play.

• SolarythOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I would just be doing general use and for my studies. I was considering playing some games on it, like Escape from tarkov and games like that. Why do macs not work well for gaming? Also do you have a recommendation for what type of mac to get?

• joneskind@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Macs are not good for gaming because it wasn’t delivered with a proper graphic card for years, so game developers left the platform.

Apple silicone Mac are pretty good for gaming now, if compared to similar form-factor PCs. Besides, Macs doesn’t lose any power when unplugged, contrary to PCs.

But the catalog is still lacking. There are good games (BG3, Metro Exodus, Resident Evil Village, Lies Of P, World Of Warcraft if it’s your jam) but nothing merely enough for a true gamer.

You could play Escape From Tarkov on a Mac using virtualizing software like Parallels Desktop, CrossOver or Game Porting Toolkit, but it won’t run natively, and I can’t make any promises on that subject.

You’ll have to do some research if you want to play some games on a Mac.

Otherwise it’s truly the best computer you can get. Not necessarily the most powerful (depends on what you’re doing) but definitely the best user experience.

• Moonguide@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Have such a hard time upvoting this, solely because OP posted their budget and they could get something much better. Apple is nice, but you’ll be paying out the wazoo to be limited to their ecosystem. Nice, intuitive ecosystem, wont lie. Really pays to be in it, but getting out is hell.

Honestly I’d rather do the extra leg work of finding good enough replacements for basic mac functionality than getting an apple product. I’m hella biased though.

• SolarythOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Oh I see. Do you have any recommendations of your own then?

• Moonguide@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Others have recommended good recs, inc linux options. Personally, I’m not nearly tech enough for that. I got a Lenovo Legion in my first college year and it lasted right until a month after I turned in my thesis. Using multiple Adobe programs at the same time, and gaming in the afternoon when I had time (Rimworld, Hunt: Showdown, Rocket League, and a bunch of other games). Spent about 1300 in 2016 I think. Battery was garbage tier though. Less than half an hour, so if that’s an issue, look at tons of reviews.

• SolarythOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Thank you for the detailed response. it seems like a good choice for me and it’ll probably be the one I end up buying. Do you think macbook airs are better or pros? Also is there a noticeable difference for M1 and m2? Im not sure which model to buy

• joneskind@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

You won’t play BG3 comfortably on a MBA, otherwise it’s a good general purpose laptop.

MBP is more expensive but more powerful and comes with 16Gb of Ram and a much more powerful GPU.

There isn’t a big difference between M1 and M2 on the CPU side, but M2 GPUs are significantly more powerful.

Finally, Pro models have better sound system, 120Hz ProMotion display, and more battery life.

• gothicdecadence@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

The Asus ROG Flow X13 is super portable and decent for gaming! I have the 2021 3050ti version but I’d recommend getting one with more than 4gb VRAM if you can swing it 😅 it really depends on what you want out of a laptop as to what people will suggest

• applejacks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

If you don’t care about gaming, just get a macbook tbh.

the new M1 ones are insane.

if you want to game on it, I got a Lenovo Legion that I really like.

• QuarterSwede@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

For the Apple ecosystem nothing is better than an M1. Just outstanding laptops that raise the bar for the entire industry. If they need to run Windows though …

• applejacks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I’m not even in the Apple ecosystem and if I didn’t care about gaming I’d grab one myself.

• 2xsaiko
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

If you’re not opposed to messing around in the terminal, Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit, which is pretty much just repackaged Wine with some added graphics translation layers, similar to Valve’s Proton, works pretty well for the Windows games I’ve tried with it (usually for more demanding games, like recently I’ve tried Baldur’s Gate 3 before the full Mac release, the issue is that my base model MacBook M2 doesn’t have enough memory). It really brings back that 2016 Linux gaming feeling.

Obviously YMMV, depending on what type of game you play. I tend to play old or indie singleplayer titles, they usually don’t do any weird shit.

• SolarythOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

What do you need specifically?