I’m in the market for a new laptop. Preferably under $2000 and have good specs. 16 GB ram minimum and 500 GB SSD minimum. What recommendations does Lemmy have? If more details are needed please specify what and I’ll answer

EDIT: thank you everyone for the answers 🙂 I do not need anymore suggestions

• QuarterSwede@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

For the Apple ecosystem nothing is better than an M1. Just outstanding laptops that raise the bar for the entire industry. If they need to run Windows though …

• applejacks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m not even in the Apple ecosystem and if I didn’t care about gaming I’d grab one myself.

• 2xsaiko
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

If you’re not opposed to messing around in the terminal, Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit, which is pretty much just repackaged Wine with some added graphics translation layers, similar to Valve’s Proton, works pretty well for the Windows games I’ve tried with it (usually for more demanding games, like recently I’ve tried Baldur’s Gate 3 before the full Mac release, the issue is that my base model MacBook M2 doesn’t have enough memory). It really brings back that 2016 Linux gaming feeling.

Obviously YMMV, depending on what type of game you play. I tend to play old or indie singleplayer titles, they usually don’t do any weird shit.