• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Any number where the individual digits add up to a number divisible by ‘3’ is divisible by 3.

51 = 5+1 = 6, which is divisible by three.

Try it, you’ll see it always works.

• letsgo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

There are tricks like that for a lot of numbers. For 7, chop off the last digit, double it and add it to what’s left. Repeat as required. If the result is divisible by 7 then the original number was. eg: 356 -> 35+12=47 not db7. 357 =>35+14 both db7 so we don’t even need to do the add.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

They didn’t teach stuff like this in school, which is silly. This is the kind of thing that a kid would eat up. It’s like they wanted to make sure people hated math.

• steeznson@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

My experience of maths in high school was being taught a trick or method to solve a really specific type of problem every week. Sometimes the method would build off something we’d learnt the previous week.

The whole thing was bottom-up learning where you get given piecemeal nuggets of information but never see the big picture. They completely lost me at around the age of 15. I eventually came back to maths later in life after studying formal logic in my philosophy undergrad degree.

• Zacryon@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I guess I was one of the lucky few who learned this in elementary school. And later again.

• AEsheron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Technically it does work for 6, more literally, still aiming for 3, not 6. That’s half of it, if the starting number is even and divisible by 3 then it is also divisible by 6.