• hornedfiend@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I wouldn’t turn this into a Firefox vs chrome(ium) fight,but why would anyone use a reskinned chrome(edge) over the original one? Not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious.

• Newby@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Edge’s vertical tabs and splitscreen are killer features that I cannot replicate without issues on firefox or chrome.

• Death@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I’ve been using tree style tab on firefox for maybe almost 10 years and rarely have any issue unless the firefox update broke it which also rarely happens

• filcuk@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’m using different vertical tabs (forget the name), have the top hidden, except if I hover over specific region, have various identities (containers?) Implementwd within the vertical sidebar and two profiles that show as a separate app on the toolbar.
          Firefox is great.

• Newby@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Tried and just not as seamless and edge. The groupings and simplicity is killer. Currently running a variant of tst on Firefox and it is just ok.

• wizardbeard@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I’ve not used the in browser splitscreen, but can’t you just use the window snapping feature built into the Windows OS itself for that?

Winkey+any arrow key Minimize, Maximize, snap to left or right half of screen.

• affiliate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

what i’ve gathered from people i talk to about it is that a lot of it comes down to convenience. edge comes pre installed and microsoft makes it not super straightforward to switch. i’m sure most people could figure it out if they wanted to, but lots of people don’t want to “futz around” with their computer. it also doesn’t help that edge is pretty much the only thing that works with windows search along with certain outlook and teams features.

i like to spend time messing around and customizing my computer to be better (i still use vim as my main editor), but for many people its annoying and they don’t want to “fix it if it isn’t broken”. this is all just a very long winded way of saying they don’t really care it’s not the optimal solution, as long as it works.

• BURN@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

My dad used IE till the day it died, despite knowing that Chrome/Firefox was a better option. Some people just don’t want to change if they don’t have to.

Sometimes I wish I could give as few fucks about it all as they do.

• affiliate@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

i think we all have areas of life that we treat like your dad treats his web browsers. for example, im like that when it comes to cooking. i could probably cook meals that tasted much better if i put in a bit more effort into learning different techniques and some new recipes. but i just don’t like cooking that much and the stuff i make is good enough for me. my dad is much like yours when it comes to web browsers, but he knows a lot more about cooking than i do, and he enjoys it a lot more too.

• Dick Justice@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

You do know that Chrome is not “the original one” and that Edge is not a reskinned Chrome, right?

Edit: I don’t know why I tipped off all rude like that over something so inconsequential. My apologies.

• Bjornir@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Edge is based on chromium, so yes you can say it’s just a reskinned chrome, the only other rendering engine now is gecko, which is what is used by Firefox and it’s forks.

• hornedfiend@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

No need to apologize, we all have our opinions,but I was expecting you to elaborate on that a bit.

Anyways,no harm no foul.