• DigitalTraveler42@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

People shouldn’t be forced to be trapped in their shitty marriages if they don’t want to be, and not everyone needs a reason to fall out of love, or to realize they were never in love, sometimes it just happens, love is just brain chemistry and the focus of that love tends to change over your lifetime, so divorces shouldn’t need to be proven, all a divorce should need is one side calling it quits on the marriage, and we all should learn to respect that.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

No dummy, this type of shit is exactly what increases domestic violence, spousal rape, and spousal murder.

Time to grow the fuck up and realize a wife isn’t a sex doll combined with a domestic servant.

If this is your religion telling you this then fuck your religion, and any other religion that offers abusive lines of thinking like this.

• Cows Look Like Maps@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Do you realize that just saying no to everything doesn’t constitute an actual discussion? How about giving an actual reason or logic for what you’re arguing rather than just saying no increasingly louder like a child. Or is that what your priest told you when you started asking questions?

• forrgott@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 months ago

The facts don’t care about your feelings, idiot (and the facts say you’re completely wrong).

• JoeBigelow@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

You’re describing enabling domestic abuse, even though you think you aren’t.

• MindSkipperBro12@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Can you provide us a detailed description of how divorces and marriages should work instead of one sentences per comment? I’m genuinely curious.

• Fredselfish@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Did some hurt you? Was you no longer able to abuse or control someone? Because you feel really strongly about this. Our are you just trolling?

• work is slow@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

People can already divorce if they are being abused or cheated on. By making it a legal requirement that must be proven you make it more difficult for these people to leave those marriages and put the burden of proof onto them. You aren’t going to reduce domestic abuse with a policy like that.

• Kalkaline @leminal.space
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Divorce isn’t shameful. You have no idea why people get divorced. Your immaturity is showing bright and clear in these comments. You sound like I did in middle school.

• Locuralacura@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Why do you believe that? I mean, I can understand if you personally don’t want to get divorced, but what about other people ? Would you restrict their ability to get divorced because of your personal belief?

Should all people who get divorced and remarried be forced back into their original marriage?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

So kidnapping and imprisonment is what marriage is to you?

Marriage is a pact based on love and partnership, what you’re suggesting is slavery.

You got some major incel vibes going on bro, time to take yourself to a licensed mental health professional.

• CarbonIceDragon@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Trying to keep someone in a marriage that they do not want to be in is inherently abusive, so trying to prove it in the event that one party did not allow the marriage to be ended would be redundant.

• Kalkaline @leminal.space
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

No. You should be able to leave a marriage for whatever reason you want. There should be a small barrier to avoid overloading the courts, but that’s it.

• Panja@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Sounds like religious hooey and shouldn’t be anywhere near our legal institutions

• JoeBigelow@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Sounds like you need the government to keep women from leaving you…

Just what that sounds like, just saying

• Blue@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

I don’t know why you people keep engaging these morons, it’s clear that he is a troll, a conservative, or the standard combination of the 3.

• JoeBigelow@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

How confident are you that she wouldn’t have left you in those 20 years if you weren’t married? If your confidence is high, then why do you think marriage needs to be hard to dissolve? If it’s low, I think my point is pretty clear in that case.

• dx1@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

People view relationships as too disposable, therefore the government should lock them into relationships that aren’t working, for any reason from drifting apart to not being able to demonstrate the legal standard for physical abuse. Got it, sounds totally reasonable and not at all like you’re a fucking lunatic.

• MindSkipperBro12@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

The problem is when Daddy is beating Mommy and the court doesn’t believe her because she’s suffering from “hysteria”.

• M500@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

So, then why don’t you just not get divorced and let other people do whatever they want?

• Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

What you got against the extended family? If you’re trying to be truly Biblical, you should have your parents and grandparents and adult children and your grandkids all living together!

• WTFisthisOMGreally@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It is sacrosanct. As are other relationships built on love and/or respect. If there’s no longer love or respect there, it’s just cruel and dumb to force the people to stay together just bc they once had different feelings.

Would you like to be held to a contract for the rest of your life that you signed when you were 25?

• Cosmicomical@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

And who decides who you should give your devotion to? Wait, you don’t have to answer, your entire message is just completely deranged

• The Pantser@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Don’t need to prove you deserve marriage, that’s the one we should forcing. Like let’s make the application process as much work as buying a house. With inspectors checking everything is to code with no hidden surprises.

• S_204@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

The pre marriage session we had at Church led to the priest sexually assaulting my partner with very inappropriate touching. I understand that’s typical of being a member of the Church, how does that keep marriage together exactly?

• Chetzemoka@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Oh hey, what a great idea you guys! Because no abuser in the world ever knew how to lie at the start of a relationship to get their partner trapped before starting to abuse them. That’s not like, an absurdly common abuse tactic or anything.

As a person who escaped a relationship where I feared for my life, fuck you very much, you ignorant fuck. You don’t get to make rules that will endanger my existence.

• Cows Look Like Maps@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

IMHO this is the primary reason why the government should not be a gatekeeper for divorce. I’m so sorry to hear what you went through and I hope people pushing for government control of our relationships can develop a shred of empathy.

• Kilnier@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Fwiw my parents led the marriage prep course at our church for 15+ years. They wrote books and websites and gave talks at conferences about Christian and Catholic marriage. They met Cardinals and advised bishops. They participated in conferences with Protestant and evangelical churches.

They were married for 48 years. And they’re divorced now. My mother in particular, but my father is seeing it a bit now, realized that their model of love and marriage were predicated on co-abusive behaviors.

It took seeing what these teachings and ways of life did to their kids and their grandchildren’s homes before they gained enough perspective to see it for what it was. I hope you can see it sooner.

• tux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah, that’s not the job of the government. While I agree that the divorce rate in the country is surprisingly high and I personally think that’s a bad thing, one partner should not be trapped in a relationship they want out of because “they’re not allowed out”. If either side of a relationship wants to end it, that’s their right.

A judge should not have to determine if a reason is “good enough”. And despite religious beliefs, from the government’s perspective, marriage is a 2 sided contract that can be ended at will.

If your church or personal beliefs say otherwise, that’s up to them. Keep it out of my government.

• rynzcycle@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Setting aside the moral argument, if you look at countries without no-fault divorce, this is just stupidly impractical.

Let me guess, you think the war on drugs has been super effective too?

• The Pantser@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

War on drugs has been super successful in creating stronger drugs so smaller amounts need to be hidden when smuggling.