• Senior Hamas official Ali Barakeh says the group did not anticipate the scale of U.S. involvement in support of Israel.
  • The U.S. moved a carrier strike group closer to Israel and considered sending a second aircraft carrier, fighter jets, and munitions.
  • U.S. Lt.-Gen. James Glynn was sent to help Israel plan its ground offensive into Gaza.
  • Iran-backed militias have targeted U.S. forces in the region in response to U.S. support for Israel.

Media Bias Fact Check (Jerusalem Post):

Overall, we rate The Jerusalem Post Right-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor the right-leaning government. We also rate them Mostly Factual for reporting, rather than High due to two failed fact checks.

• PugJesus@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

how

how does one not expect this

who the fuck is in charge of Hamas’s foreign affairs reports

• agitatedpotato@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

An Iranian informant who gets intel from Russia most likely. Not gonna make excuses for them, but they’re clearly being played by Iran, and Iran got the flare up it wanted. The US is already retaliating on Iran so I’d imagine there’s some credence that Iran was deeply involved.

• MajesticSloth@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

That is what my thought was right after the first attack. No one in Palestine could benefit from such an attack. Just Hamas leadership and most likely Iran benefits by sparking more problems in the region and getting Saudi Arabia to back track on having more ties with Israel.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Well likud also benefits. They get to literally level Gaza now- and they’ve always wanted this conflict.

Hammas also wanted this, even if they’re were idiots, for much the same reasons as Likud. They may not have fully considered the consequences, though. For its size, Israel has one of the best militaries in the world- even without US help/involvement… what’s happened so far has basically been inevitable.

Iran benefits even more though, and russia-by-proxy. Seems like the only people really. Losing are… civilians caught in the middle. The Israeli victims of Hamas, and the thousands of palistinians with no where else to go, just getting caught in it.

• PugJesus@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I would expected at least one person, somewhere down the line, who read international news once in a blue moon. Guess my standards were too high.

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I expect they saw themselves as resistance fighters and saw their attack as resisting.

The problem is that they picked really bad targets that made it easy to portray them as a terrorist group intentionally. Hell, a lot of the protests against Israel is that the attack shouldn’t give Israel the freedom to do a genocide, not that Hamas is innocent.

The discussion would be wildly different if Hamas was based in the West Bank and had kidnapped/killed Jewish settlers in the West Bank.

• Uprise42@artemis.camp
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

The conversation would be entirely different if they had attacked military targets and not civilians. A
          Military base or political building and then suddenly they’re resistance fighters with a lot more backing.

But they attacked civilians at a festival and kidnaps multinational civilians who have no impact on the regions politics. That turned just about everyone against them.

I’ve yet to hear anyone defend hamas. I’ve heard people defending Palestine, which is where I am. But it’s more defending the innocents that aren’t involved than Hamas. I’ve heard people be anti Israel, but many of them don’t support Hamas either. And those who are ok with killing civilians because of their government are already pretty lost. I’ve also seen anti US since we’re involved and while I wish we just weren’t involved at all, or at least trying to negotiate a ceasefire, most of those people are just “USA bad, disagree without thinking” types. Overall though there has really been no defense of Hamas at all

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

I don’t think it even needed to be military targets; it just happens to be that the Gaza Strip is far away from settlers taking land in the West Bank.

It just happens to be that Hamas thought that Israel would negotiate for their hostages while Israel has been more interested in capitalizing on this attack as justification for military response.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

“Far away”.

It’s about 30 miles, 50 km. Or about ten minutes to a teenager on a booty call.

I’m not sure how many check points they’d have to go through or how much security there is on those 30 miles….but physically, it’s not that far.

• Mrkawfee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

They’re a terror organisation in the West. They’re a national liberation movement in the rest of the world.

Edit: they are literally called the Islamic resistance movement.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Yes. They murdered children, burning babies and slitting their throats. What heroes.

Idiot.

• tocopherol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Reminds me of all those babies thrown out of incubators by Iraqi forces. (in case anyone wonders about that it turned out to be false) Whether or not you agree with their actions the comment you are replying to is correct, Hamas is only designated a terror group by the minority of nations, although since it includes the US and the EU they have a lot of sway with their designation.

• ChonkyOwlbear@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Between the government being paralyzed by the Republicans and us being tied up in Ukraine, I can see why they might assume no help would be coming for a while.

• Copernican@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I wonder how Ukraine factored into the calculus. Normally yeah, you should expect this. But maybe there was doubt of funding and supporting both Ukraine and Israel concurrently.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s possible they also thought that half of our political system willfully shitting the bed was going to slow things down a bit, but they didn’t account for how much that same half of our political system absolutely loves killing brown people.

• jonne@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Same mistake Bin Laden made. He thought 9/11 would open Americans eyes to its imperialism and rise up against their government or some stupid shit like that. They always underestimate how much Americans love solving issues by throwing bombs at them.

• PugJesus@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

No, Bin Laden believed the US was a fallen and sinful nation, and that our reaction would isolate us from our allies in the Arab World. He wasn’t an anti-imperialist, he was just a religious fanatic who was assmad that the Saudis cozied up with US infidels.

He was only accidentally correct, for that matter. Our initial reaction against Afghanistan did not isolate us from our allies in the Arab World. The later, unrelated invasion of Iraq did.

• Captain Aggravated@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Kickin’ Ass!

Kickin’ Ass is what we do!

Kickin’ Ass!

The iron foot in the velvet shoe.

We don’t care whose ass we kick;

if we’re ever all alone

we’ll just stand in front of the mirror

and try and kick our own.

• Taian@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The attacks were idiotic at their core, what would anyone expect more than idiotic plans and expectations?

• dingleberry
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Fresh out of Afghanistan and looking for love.

• Guy Dudeman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

When all these articles say that we “moved an aircraft carrier closer” they’re not saying that we are using the aircraft to conduct air strike operations on behalf of Israel.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s also a sign to everyone in the region to not think about getting involved or you might end up being targeted. Hamas was likely hoping for continued support from Iran and others, but the US presence makes that much more difficult.

• magnetosphere@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

This is totally on Hamas. “Involvement” is what we DO, especially when Israel is involved. As far as the Pentagon is concerned, they might as well be a member of NATO.

• CALIGVLA@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Fucking geniuses these extremist zealots. It’s like a requirement for these Jihad terrorists groups that you need to be missing half your brain capacity to join the club.

• LaLiLuLuCo@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Unfortunately the school textbooks teach and encourage it. It’s at the demands of the existing zealots with guns, but it’s a problem that only gets worse.

• arymandias@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

The Gaza invasion will be very dirty urban combat, and urban combat always involves heavy losses on both sides. I highly doubt the US is willing to send men to their deaths for this cause so I’m sceptical to what extent the US will be able to help. And as Palestine doesn’t have an air force or navy I don’t suspect Israel needs help on those fronts.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Speaking from his office in Beirut, senior Hamas political leadership member Ali Barakeh told the UK news outlet that they “didn’t expect this much of a response” from the US.

These statements come after Washington diverted many of its forces to the area amid Israel’s launching of Operation Swords of Iron, the latest war with Hamas.

On October 8, just a day after the war began, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced that America would move a carrier strike group, featuring the world’s largest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, closer to Israel.

Days later, it mulled sending a second aircraft carrier to the area, as well as fighter jets being added to the region and munitions being sent to the IDF.

Later in the month, the US sent Lt.-Gen. James Glynn, a three-star Marine general, and other military officers to help Israel plan its ground offensive into the Gaza Strip.

In addition, US forces in the region have been under fire in recent weeks from Iran-backed militia.

The original article contains 262 words, the summary contains 169 words. Saved 35%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• 5BC2E7@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

That’s the danger of a religious extremist movement. Their plans are based around their beliefs and fail to account for reality.

• droopy4096@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

So lets put it all in perspective. Some established facts first:

• Russia is pretty open with it’s declaration of love to HAMAS
    • Iran really wants to “give it” to US
    • Russia is sanctioned and desperate in it’s war with Ukraine, hoping biggest weapon supplier would stop supplying weapons
    • Russia is best buddies with Iran
    • Iran wants nukes
    • Russia used to be buddies with Israel (esp. military-wise, which was cited as one of the reasons no military assistance to Ukraine came from Israel)
    • Israel has it’s internal political problems.
    • all the nations that now so keenly support Palestine and violence towards Israel never sent any significant investments or humanitarian aid to Palestine to beat Israel economically
    • Israel was behaving as an a-hole towards Palestine for quite some time
    • HAMAS has not moved Israel-Palestine relationship an inch and needs to show some activity

So, to me all of the above kind of adds up to: Palestine was used by everybody else to achieve goals absolutely unrelated to Palestine survival or prosperity.

If I were to make up a conspiracy theory, I’d say: Russia needed diversion real bad, they talked to their Iran buddies to stir dhit up in Gaza. Mossad snifs it out and does… nothing, opening door to unspeakable acts that followed, but also giving a pretext for “outrage” and rallying the nation against existential threat. Arab world leaders quickly jump on a familiar train of antisrmitism boosting their ratings locally and doing diddly squat to help Palestine (I mean help, not entrench them further in conflict)

In sum: both sides were comfortable sacrificing their own people (without people’s consent) to achieve political goals.

• droopy4096@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Just came across HAMAS leader openly enumerating benefactors: https://www.memri.org/tv/hamas-leader-abroad-khaled-mashal-russia-october-seven-chine-taiwan

“For your information, Russia has benefitted from our [attack], because we distracted the U.S. from them and from Ukraine. China saw [our attack] as a dazzling example. The Russians told us that what happened on October 7 would be taught in military academies. The Chinese are thinking of carrying out a plan in Taiwan, doing what the Al-Qassam Brigades did on October 7. The Arabs are giving the world a master class.”

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I wouldn’t expect a response either after israel went AFK open mid on 7 October.