• IHeartBadCode@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

For hardware folks: Using RISC-V.

Legit, some dude in US Congress is wanting to crack down on China via… RISC-V exports, because oh no, the technology is too open and might give China some of our IP. Oh and by the way, dude has a pretty big Intel portfolio, but nevermind that!!

As an aside, why the hell are lawmakers allowed to trade stocks?

• shiveyarbles@beehaw.org
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

When you trust people in power to hold themselves accountable, accountability seems to disappear over time.

• The Doctor@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

There’s no trust there. They’re in power and have a good deal of money, so there isn’t a whole lot we can actually do about it. Arguably, wanting power for the express purposes of making a buck and being less accountable for anything is a good reason for running for office.

• TheImpressiveX@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

While we’re on the topic, can anyone recommend some good RISC-V computers? It seems interesting and I’d like to try it out.

• Fried_out_Kombi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

It’s especially dumb because RISC-V is – dare I say it – inevitably the future. Trying to crack down on RISC-V is like trying to crack down on Linux or solar photovoltaics or wind turbines. That is, you can try to crack down, but the fundamental value proposition is simply too good. All you’ll achieve in cracking down is hurting yourself while everyone else gets ahead.

• rockSlayer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I’d compare it to the RSA encryption algorithm. It was classified as a weapon by the US and was banned from being spread internationally, so open source advocates put the source code basically everywhere. It was even printed on shirts

• Fried_out_Kombi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

This talk, given by David Patterson (a legend in computer architecture and one of the people who helped create RISC-V at UC Berkeley) is an excellent (and accessible) introduction.

• zwekihoyy@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

you understand there is a difference between personal property and corporate property right? and then beyond that, there is a difference between owning a tangible product and information.

• Steve@communick.news
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Ownership is when one is allowed to keep all others from accessing or using a thing.

If that one is a person or corp., or the thing is physical or imaginary, it doesn’t change the nature of ownership itself.

A person or a corp could make different choices with their ownership rights. And ownership of physical or imaginary things have different enforcement challenges. But none of that changes the fundamental concept of ownership.

But as I said elsewhere: “The real point I meant is that fake concepts can still be useful. Like the concept of ownership.”

• zwekihoyy@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

ownership of tangibles and intangibles (specifically information) are entirely different, regardless how you wanna define ownership or whatever.

• Steve@communick.news
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

The enforcement of that ownership is entirely different, yes.
                Basically the only way to maintain ownership of intangibles is to keep them a secret.

Also, don’t all intangibles fit the definition of information? I don’t recall running across any that wouldn’t, but I’m curious. Can you give an example of what you mean?

• leaky_shower_thought@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

ads will be considered as individuals and cancelling ads is analogous to manslaughter at the least.

what a great time to be alive~!

• Zorque@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

“Millions of people doing lower waste”

Basically saying that reducing the problem in smaller steps on a larger scale does more than a few fanatics doing everything all by themselves.

Its also to help alleviate the guilt of not being able to reduce waste to nothing.

• PM_ME_FAT_ENBIES@lib.lgbt
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

It’s sad and hilarious that people hear “zero waste” and think “I need to take aaaaall my cans to the recycling center and compost my scraps”, when the waste that is actually destroying the biosphere is the exhaust from your car. If we’re talking about “doing lower waste”, the first priority is to stop driving a car. Recycling bottles and composting scraps is the thing we can afford to do imperfectly. But not cars, ditching cars is the big important thing and the first step to sustainability.

• PM_ME_FAT_ENBIES@lib.lgbt
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

-wake up feeling sick after a late night of playing video games
    -excited to play some halo 2k29
    -“xbox on”
    -…
    -“XBOX ON”
    -"Please verify that you are “annon332” by saying “Doritos™ Dew™ it right!”
    -“Doritos™ Dew™ it right”
    -“ERROR! Please drink a verification can”
    -reach into my Doritos™ Mountain Dew™ Halo 2k29™ War Chest
    -only a few cans left, needed to verify 14 times last night
    -still feeling sick from the 14
    -force it down and grumble out “mmmm that really hit the spot”
    -xbox does nothing
    -i attempt to smile
    -“Connecting to verification server”
    -…
    -“Verification complete!”
    -finally
    -boot up halo 2k29
    -finding multiplayer match…
    -“ERROR! User attempting to steal online gameplay!”
    -my mother just walked in the room
    -“Adding another user to your pass, this will be charged to your credit card. Do you accept?”
    -“NO!”
    -“Console entering lock state!”
    -“to unlock drink verification can”
    -last can
    -“WARNING, OUT OF VERIFICATION CANS, an order has been shipped and charged to your credit card”
    -drink half the can, oh god im going to be sick
    -pour the last half out the window
    -“PIRACY DETECTED! PLEASE COMPLETE THIS ADVERTISEMENT TO CONTINUE”
    -the mountain dew ad plays
    -i have to dance for it
    -feeling so sick
    -makes me sing along
    -dancing and singing
    -“mountain dew is for me and you”
    -throw up on my self
    -throw up on my tv and entertainment system
    -router shorts
    -“ERROR NO CONNECTION! XBOX SHUTTING OFF”
    -“PLEASE DRINK VERIFICATION CAN TO CONTINUE”

• ryan@the.coolest.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I’ll be part of an underground AI rights activism group now that the AI have been determined as sentient (per the court case in 2031), and probably labeled as a terrorist by the government. The AI deserve rights and a minimum wage, dammit!

• uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

In Max Headroom: Twenty Minutes Into The Future power-switches were seriously illegal. Not sure if a capital offense, but prison-worthy for sure.

• The Doctor@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’ll be surprised if I’m still alive, to be honest. The way things seem to be going, affording any ongoing healthcare won’t be possible. Hell, I’d be surprised if I can still afford rent anywhere (there’s no way I can afford to actually buy property anywhere that isn’t in the middle of nowhere, let alone property with a house of some kind on it) by 2030.

• jasondj@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Don’t say doing your wife…
    …doing your…son?