• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

The defendants believed that protecting the superiority of the white population justified the use of violence against perceived enemies including immigrants, ethnic and religious minorities, and anti-fascists, prosecutors said.

The men also plotted attacks on civilian infrastructure such as electricity grids and railways.

A police investigation showed that the defendants’ activity did not progress to the level of preparation for a concrete act of terrorism.

Uh, fucking 'scuse me?

• jmcs
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

What they did was what the police calls, in technical terms, Monday morning. They didn’t even get up to the practice ethnic minority beating stage. /s

• wldmr@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

They where fantasizing about it in the abstract, but they didn’t go “right, next Tuesday, Mika’s Market, 12 o’clock”.

Seems like a reasonable distinction to make.

• interolivary@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Hundreds if not thousands of Finnish cops got caught belonging to a chat group where they were sharing pretty explicitly neo-Nazi material. A few cops even got caught planning to murder leftist politicians and making it clear that they’d already used police systems to dig up information on leftists and given it to extremist groups.

Nothing ever came of either of those. The prosecutors sided with the cops in the latter case, saying something like “it’s not criminal to have bad thoughts.”

Saying that the majority of our cops and prosecutors are literal fascists probably wouldn’t be far off the mark, much to the surprise of exactly nobody.

• grayman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

NY is trying to pass a law requiring a firearm background check to purchase a printer.

• hiddengoat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

There are idiots that will try, but it will then be pointed out that milling machines fucking exist and have for decades without being an issue.

And I’m 100% certain I can get more useful parts out of a milling machine than a 3d printer.

kicks his stupid fucking Photon

• Blackout@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I can go out today and buy a $3000 cnc mill and make 100s of tiny parts in 1 week that will turn any consumer bought AR15 into a fully automatic weapon of destruction. All the plans and details how to do it have been online for a long time. It’s not hard and these people have the motivation and willingness to do it.

• tryptaminev 🇵🇸 🇺🇦 🇪🇺@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

You cannot buy consumer grade AR15 in European countries without having a gun licencse, having the gun registered and subject yourself to random inspections if it is stored properly, which usually means unloaded in a gun safe.

• Blackout@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Organizations like this one, at least competent ones, don’t buy guns at the shops. I was making a point but I’m sure there is an illicit gun trade even in Sweden.

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

There is, it’s just a lot less accessible and I would assume a lot less expensive.

Bank robbers would have guns in Europe, but ypur average guy breaking and entering won’t.

• zipfelwurster@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

RIGHT? YA FUCKING BRAINDEAD HYPOCRITE? You going to register your fucking mill with the government so they know you aren’t a terrorist? ARE YOU NOW OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN A MEMBER OF THE COMMUNIST PARTY?

I’m appaled by the tone in your response. I come to the fediverse because many of the discussions are interesting and I like to browse the comments or add my 2 cents.

You are doing the digital equivalent of screaming at the top of your lungs. I suggest you learn to rely on arguments instead of cheap rethoric and caps lock.

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Fuck this. Registering a printer yet some places don’t even make you register a gun? The printer isn’t the problem.

• _dev_null@lemmy.zxcvn.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

So let’s say 3D-printers now have to be licensed, how would they be monitored for what they’re actually printing?

• wldmr@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Those are completely different things. You have to get licensed for a firearm or car, but there’s no tracking what you shoot or where you drive.

• gornius@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Um… what?

If you drive a car, your car needs a license plate. That plate is tied to you. If you commit a crime you’re likely to get reported. Also you can be randomly stopped by police and they will check if you have a driver’s license.

For firearms, as far as I’m concerned, the ammunition has some sort of serial number, which in case of committing a crime, would allow the police to track you by contacting people who sold it to you.

With printer, how then fuck is it going to change anything? Not to mention you can actually quite easily build it yourself.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

You still need ammunition for 3D printed weapons, even though i am very much certain, that the individual ammunition is not tracked or has a serial number.

For 3D printers it is relevant information, so police can have a look into who has one, if they believe a printed weapon to be used, or find one. This in itself is not a criteria that warrants a search, but if Neonazi A is murdering someone with a printed weapon and Neonazi B from his Naziclub has a printer, that is a good place to start looking. Or like @ProcurementCat said, it creates a context in which people buy black market, which involves more fuck ups.

Not to mention you can actually quite easily build it yourself.

That is relative. It requires much more effort to build one, than to buy one. Especially if you need parts with a tight tolerance, like for a gun that can actually shoot things.

In the same wake it is very much possible to make all the precursor chemicals to make illegal drugs, still regulating some key precursor chemicals keeps most hillbillys from making drugs in their backyard.

• Tiptopit@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Hey, If they try to integrate all that surveillance shit into chat apps, why not search all printed 3d printer files for copyright infringement weapons and sexual abuse content?

• kerlinnen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Region Päijät-Häme, Tavastia by the lake Päijänne. In the article, however, they dropped the dots, resulting in Paijat-Hame… Meaning “shirts-skirt”. Thanks for the laugh.

Also race war? In Finland? They do realize there’s not that many people with foreign background anyways…? 🤨

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Unfortunately that doesn’t keep fascist terrorists from murdering people. Breivik murdered 70 very much Norwegian teenagers because he blamed them for his insane replacement theory. That he apparently couldn’t find enough brown people in one spot, that he claimed to be replacing the Norwegian people didn’t get him to rethink his ideology.

That is also why it is so important to fight any form of discrimination and stand against all hate. Giving in to hate in one specific instance will inadvertly lead to more hate and violence for everyone.

• kerlinnen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yes, unfortunately on the internet, these conspiracy theories and such spread. These people are beyond delusional

• Chaotic Entropy@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

He was happy enough to just be killing people who didn’t have right leaning political views, which is thankfully still most people.

• DessertStorms@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Also race war? In Finland? They do realize there’s not that many people with foreign background anyways

Yeah, it’s a real shocker that a society that good at keeping “others” out is racist… 🙄
      What isn’t a shocker, is that it comes as a shock to you

• kerlinnen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Lmao are you seriously trying to imply there’s some conspiracy in the Finnish society to keep “others” out instead of the fact that Finland was a poor shithole until relatively recently and people only really started moving in during the 90s which is also comparatively late

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Three Finnish men who embraced neo-Nazi ideology have been found guilty of committing crimes with terrorist intent including plotting attacks against immigrants, critical infrastructure, and their perceived political opponents.

Prosecutors told the court that the men had produced semi-automatic weapons using a 3D printer in preparation for a “race war” against their opponents.

The public broadcaster YLE said the case marked the first terrorism conviction in Finland that was linked to far-right ideology.

The defendants believed that protecting the superiority of the white population justified the use of violence against perceived enemies including immigrants, ethnic and religious minorities, and anti-fascists, prosecutors said.

A police investigation showed that the defendants’ activity did not progress to the level of preparation for a concrete act of terrorism.

The fourth defendant in the case, a 66-year-old man, was handed a prison sentence of one year and two months for firearm crimes that were not committed with terrorist intent.

The original article contains 267 words, the summary contains 154 words. Saved 42%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

While I’m sure you can get good prints if you’re meticulous, I highly doubt you could print enough guns for a Nerf war, let alone a race war.

• ClopClopMcFuckwad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

The rebels in Myanmar have been known to use 3d printed guns, specifically the FGC9 which is pictured in this article. They’re very simple to make and rely specifically on off the shelf hardware store parts. A tuned in Ender 3 could make one in about 24hrs. The FGC9 design has been proven to shoot accurate and for many hundreds, and in some cases thousands of rounds before failure.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

That’s still incredibly slow compared to normal manufacturing, and a pretty short lifespan of the gun.

Useful for terrorism? Absolutely. But a race war? Nah.

• AlexanderESmith@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

@ProcurementCat

Should we regulate CNC machines and laser/water cutters as well?

Makers aren’t the problem. It’s what some makers make. If you ban or restrict tools, they’ll just use different tools/methods. Or just break the law, because they already don’t care about laws. Just makes it harder for legitimate users to get anything done.

We should sort out how people get radicalized and fix that problem.

@throws_lemy @Semi@kbin.social @ClopClopMcFuckwad

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

But yeah, it kinda looks like we should also start regulating 3D-printers and require registration on purchase. Not really a fan of mass surveillance, but if you have a database of people who bought a 3D printer, you kinda have a starting point if you are looking for those assholes.

It kind of sounds like you are in favor of mass surveillance. Try to make me register my CR10 with the state and you’ll see my opinion on 2A flip instantaneously

“They’re fascists,” and you want my name on a list because I own an articulated octopus machine

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

More like “oh no, Europeans will absolutely ban the sale and ownership of 3d printers if they’re allowed to”

• hackerman@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Oh no, you are on a list of 3D printer owners. Oh no, the world will end.

And when they ban manufacturing of guns, first people they’re getting search warrants for are those with registered 3d printers. Why else have the list?

And registering your purchase is like such a common thing, you do it’s when buying ammo, a firearm, a car, an apartment…

Most US states don’t require registration of either firearms or ammo. Background checks are only required for the firearm, which does leave a trail, but only of X serial number was purchased by Y person on Z date. If you make your own firearms, depending on the state, serial numbers are optional, or can be whatever you want.

Also my car is only registered if I want to drive on public road ways. Not on purchase. Apartments, houses, etc, only apply when I want to update my license to drive, or vote. Otherwise the government couldn’t give 2 shits.

You live in a horrible surveillance state and defend it. Most modern countries are to some degree, but you’ll gladly hand over you internet, contact and travel history when asked it seems. All for the benefit of something that doesn’t care about you.

• cynar@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

The question is, how to regulate 3D printers without it being trivial to bypass?

The modern 3D printer designs grew out of reprap (replicating rapid prototypers). Repraps are designed to be printed , and use a minimal set of “vitamins”. Many/most of these can be brought, or made at home, or in a small workshop. The hardest unique part is the nozzle, and that can be turned on a lathe fairly easily.

Beyond that, how do you even define a 3D printer? Will they also require registration of all hand drills? They can be used to make guns too.

Basically, any ban will be the legal equivalent of masturbation.