• Allow this website to send notifications?
  • Privacy badger stopped 652 trackers on this page
  • “Let us enable cookies? Yes or 19 step cookie configuration wizard?”
  • “Ads are how we keep our service free. Please disable your adblocker”
  • “you’ve reached your daily free limit. Please upgrade to a pro account for just 29.99 USD/month (the price of a cup of coffee)”

I fucking hate the modern web

• miss_brainfart@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago
    • This website needs JavaScript to display the most basic content, have fun with a blank page otherwise
    • Jesus_666@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Also, we load the JavaScript from five different CDNs, some of which are horrifically slow today. We also make sure to only load some of the scripts after others have been successfully loaded so uMatrix users have to refresh the page a dozen times.

• ares35@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

i run with scripts disabled unless explicitly whitelisted. this one is annoying af,. so many sites use client scripts to display static content and navigation elements that absolutely didn’t need to–at all. right underneath these idiots is the morons that load the entirety of jquery in a bazillion different external files… and for what? a fucking hover effect over their menus or links or something equally ridiculous.

• Em Adespoton@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Oh, but they don’t just load jquery themselves… for each site “feature” they pull dynamically from a different CDN, loading the same code over and over again to call different functions.

And all it takes is for ONE of their CDNs to get poisoned and suddenly they’re serving malware.

• Em Adespoton@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

…that just needs your location, address book, camera and access to your photos in order to run.

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

The price of a cup of coffee yeah maybe, but with how many paid online services there are, how many cups of coffee a day y’all think I’m having?

• rar@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

What? Can’t you afford to drink a Fruitty Pumpkin Spice Kombucha Latte Macchiato Frapuccino with Extra Cream and Sprinkled Caramelized Candybites™ at your local $overpricedHipsterFranchise everyday?

• F04118F@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Firefox has a setting to automatically delete all cookies on shutdown. You can keep a whitelist of sites that are excluded from this (the ones where you want to stay logged in). Works great, and no more worrying about cookies, as long as you shut down your browser now and then

• Rozz@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The cookie autodelete extension can do that too, but also adds delete when you close the tab/leave the site.

• Brad@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Don’t they already have what they need once you accept even if you delete them after?

• F04118F@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

There’s not a lot to track in a single browser session. The privacy violation of tracking cookies is that they track what you’re doing. If you set the privacyguides.org recommended settings in Firefox, Mullvad or Brave, the cross-site tracking should be blocked, but deleting them completely means the site will even have to do some advanced fingerprinting to even know “it’s you” on the same site (if not using the same public IP, for example by using VPN, otherwise the IP will be recognised)

• Brad@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Thank’s for sharing your knowledge! I’m in the beginning stages if this stuff, so it’s helpful to have people like you & a community like this.

• F04118F@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Thank you for commenting and asking the questions! You’re never the only one wondering about these things but someone needs to actually dare to ask instead of just scrolling past!

https://privacyguides.org is an amazing resource, often with links to further explanations of concepts.

• jvrava9@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Block all cookies by default and use Easylist Fanboy Cookielist in ubo to hide the accept cookies popup on a majority of pages.

• Crabhands@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

My kids beg me to disable our network ad blockers so they get perks of mobile app ads.

• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The thing about walled gardens, is there terrible places to live. Inside the garden it’s okay, but walking around the society filled with wall gardens, so hostile, there’s no walking space, you feel like you’re in prison

And then there’s open communities, open lawns, open trees, a beautiful place to exist, a community you can interact with.

I know where I’d rather live day to day