• 520@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

It literally isn’t - Graphene only supports Google Pixel phones.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

You’ve apparently missed the point. Graphene exists solely to harden security and privacy by disabling the googly parts of the phone. That is clearly what was meant by “without Google”

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Graphene is is way over hyped. You can basically the same thing with lineage os. The key is just not using gsf

• LaggyKar@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

But then you can’t use any apps that require Play Services. The killer feature of GrapheneOS is letting you run Play Services in a sandbox.

• sadreality@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

Unlocked bootloader is considered a vulnerability tho

But if your threats model is toxic Tim, satya and sundar, it will do the job just fine.

• LifeBandit666@feddit.uk
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                8 months ago

You can relock the bootloader though can’t you?

Genuine question. I used to be an avid ROMer back int day until I got really really annoyed at all the hoops I had to jump through to use Google Wallet.

Now I have a Pixel 7a and I’m considering ROMs again. So I am wondering if I can just relock the bootloader once I find a ROM I like and it’ll pass all the Safety net bullshit and allow me to use my phone like it should be, just with a custom ROM on it.

• 520@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

And how do you know there aren’t hardware level trackers in Google’s chips? The kind Graphene can’t override? Do you trust Google not to do that?

• Nath@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

The people who install Graphene and other modified Android variants on their devices are a lot more likely to be monitoring packets sent from their devices.

Believe me, we’d know the same day an android device that had been de-Googled called home. That would make worldwide news.

• yetAnotherUser@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Because this will get .001% more total data considering the low number of GrapheneOS users. Besides, this is highly illegal and would result in significant public outcry and legal consequences far greater in cost than any potential benefits.

And if you cannot trust Google with their processors, you cannot trust any other company either.

• 520@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Because all of that has stopped OEMs in the past…oh wait! No it hasn’t (looks at Lenovo)

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Ultimately you can’t know everything. At some point you have to trust someone. The graphene people seem to know they are doing imo. Ultimately everything is flawed, you just have to know when to say "good enough ". The pixel hardware is pretty great imo and they are often cheap, so I think it’s worth considering them given that they can be hardened in various ways.

• Auli@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Yeah I trust them not to do it. Cause when it was found out not if when it would hurt them.

• miss_brainfart@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I want to like Lineage, but while it doesn’t come with extra bloat, the system itself doesn’t do a whole lot of degoogling core services