• foggy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Then floodgates of piracy opened as a means of being with exorbitant prices on music, and then television.

The solution for the industry was to make it more convenient to pay them than it was to steal. Stealing never stopped, it just lessened, because it was more convenient to pay.

Critical mistake, making it difficult for us to get what we want…

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

The fact that there are 11 quadrillion streaming services now makes me suspect that there actually cannot be a secret cabal of shady business types running the world. Because they are all far too interested in competing with each other to actually notice that if they stop doing that then they’d be better off.

• trolololol@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Difficult is an understatement.

I’m traveling overseas now, and my totally valid Paramount subscription doesn’t work in Portugal and I can’t watch lower decks anywhere even if I’m willing to double pay for it.

The irony if that I downloaded episodes to watch offline on plane, they’re literally inside my phone.

• Smokeydope@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Wait till you hear about YouTube premium making it imposible to watch downloaded videos already on your phone unless it can phone home every 3 days. The videos on your phone, you can’t wstc it until you get in touch with daddy google, defeating the point of downloading a video for offline viewing.

• Shadywack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

This right here. Apple did a very artful job of making everything available way back when on a unified storefront with “everything”. Netflix did much the same, and for a time it was “everything enough” until each studio decided it was a good idea to make their own storefront. The mistake is that they inadvertently rekindled piracy not so much because of the pricing, but due to the convenience factor. Now the piracy is most convenient because it has it all in one spot. People will pay for content, that’s not the issue. It’s the same old adage as going to the same grocery store that just has all the shit you need so you don’t have to drive all over town.

• nicetriangle@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

yeah we’re running our own plex server now and it’s been amazing. too many price hikes and reductions in quality of service. over it

• wreckedcarzz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Ye, this is one thing I did for the folks, so there is always new stuff even when I’m not managing it. They have like 20 shows they are slowly recording.

I got the HDHomeRun Extend, 2 tuners in one unit. Slap an antenna on the wall and boom, extra functionality.

• geekzapoppin@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

There is a lot to love about living in WV (politics aside) but antenna TV reception is not one of them, sadly. Even moreso since broadcasting went all-digital. Signals don’t travel well around the mountains. I’d go back to an antenna in a heartbeat if I could get decent reception. I’m only about 15 miles away from a couple of the towers and can’t even pick them up without a really huge roof antenna.

• ghterve@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

If by magic you mean it will automatically record gigabytes of ads for you right out of thin air and sprinkle them throughout all the content…

OTA is unwatchable.

• gkd@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

My plex server is the best streaming experience I ever had. Only stopped running it because I just wasn’t watching anything for a good bit. More time on my hands now, so time for a revival.

• Blaiz0r@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

All of you folks using Plex should check out Jellyfin, it may suit your needs better.

• Fred@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Jellyfin is better for in home streaming, but I find plex easier for sharing external to family/friends.

• kryllic@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Because Plex has that feature built-in with little hassle and Jellyfin does not (for now)

• icedterminal@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Jellyfin gives you 100% control. You’re responsible for setting up remote access. Which actually isn’t that hard. Several IT and network admins of the community (myself included) hand out documentation on how to do this. Without completely ruining your security.

With Plex, some of the application communication is routed through their network. It requires an active internet connection and you must create an account with them. They have third party analytics embedded, use tracking pixels, beacons and device fingerprinting. Whatever personal data you have supplied is used to serve ads. This being their promoted content that isn’t part of your library.

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Couldnt you either use a reverse proxy or something like cloudflare tunnels to open external access and achieve literally the same as plex does?

• CalicoJack@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Yup. For the server admin, maybe 10 minutes of reading and another 10-20 for setup. For the users (if any), they just need to input an IP or URL along with logging in.

And it doesn’t rely on external servers to connect like Plex does, which is always a bonus.

• LordKitsuna@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I keep trying, I have an extremely large collection and it keeps falling flat on metadata matching. Especially with anime, yes I have installed the add-ons. They still suck. And for whatever reason it’s transcoding performance is nowhere near as good. It also still has an unresolved memory leak issue with a ticket that’s been open for a long long time about it. I want to replace Plex but it needs to be with something as good as Plex

• araozu@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I use jellyfin a lot for anime, no plugins. I just label all my folders like kaguya_sama_[tmdbid-12345].

As long as the The Movie DB id is there, aboslutely no problems indexing.

• paris@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’d like to add that Jellyfin has a provider order that it checks for metadata from. I had some issues until I changed the order to pull metadata from the same provider that Sonarr and Radarr use. Once it checked there for metadata first, everything lined up and I’ve had exceptionally few issues.

• paris@lemmy.blahaj.zone
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

My provider order for stuff that Sonarr handles (shows/anime):

1. TheTVDB
              2. AniDB
              3. TheMovieDb
              4. The Open Movie Database
              5. Missing Episode Fetcher

I don’t know what the last two are and I doubt they ever get used. Sonarr uses TheTVDB

• TRBoom@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I had a lot of trouble jellyfin and anime until I started putting things into season folders, even if they only had one season. So if I had Ano Hana I’d put the episodes in a folder like this

Media Disk/Anime/Ano Hana/Season 1/episodes_here

If it’s a movie, then it goes into a folder with other movies.

Media Disk/Anime Movies/movies_here

Once I started doing that, Jellyfin automatically recognized most Anime.

• LordKitsuna@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

I already do this, everything in my media is extremely cleanly named because they are handled by sonarr

series name/season 00/EPSxxExx-“episode title”

so it’s not a file format issue. It gets a lot of them but there are certain things especially if they are recently aired or currently airing where it will simply fail to find a match until I give it the Japanese name at which point it manages to find the metadata for the English name. Really stupid stuff like that

• antlion@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Emby is the premium version of Jellyfin. I have found the meta information works a lot better. I haven’t done much transcoding but it does support it, and there are more apps to access it. Not too happy with the iOS app but the LG WebOS app works great.

• theangryseal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m just happy with all the pirate sites today. Works fine for me. I’m about to cancel everything.

• DidacticDumbass@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I have been rekindling my patronage to my county’s libraries and archive.org.

Sure, these are DVDs, but they can be upscaled and are easily backed up.

I buy a crap load of books like I have a spending problem, but I get them used from bookstores and thriftstores. Libraries will always have something I can’t find, with the added glory of browsing serendipity.

Sure, I like to pirate, but there is more treasure at your ports than you think.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I know. It is not great. I ended up using FFMPEG to upscale to 4k using lanzcos filter.

Not the crispest, but vastly more watchable.

I will try AI upscaling when I can.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I feel you misread. I mean what I spelled, county, the collection of cities that define the specific region I live in.

My library card gives me access to many libraries in that county, which yes, has works from people across the globe.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I went in blind, not knowing anything about One Piece other than it is a long running anime. Easily my favorite show I’ve watched in 2023 so far.

• Jessica@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

All it took for me to take up sailing full time was the removal of King of the Hill from Netflix. I couldn’t find it anywhere at first, so I did the next logical step. I later found out that it was available on Hulu. Asinine. I feel like Hank would have done the same thing, for the principle of it alone.

Plex is so much better than Netflix, or really any other streaming service, in my opinion. I have all of the content that I want, and supplement the rest with my favorite YouTubers.

• li10@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I recently looked at buying NBA league pass in the UK, £100 to watch games that aren’t on at a reasonable time and still full of ads…

Now I’ve set up RSS to download the games, and the uploaders even cut the ads and intermissions.

• ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Do they have NHL and if so is it possible to learn your powers?

(Edit: But don’t post links to pirated content here lest they be found by the DCMA bots, DM them if necessary please, and thank you.)

• WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I understand the sentiment, but Netflix having a monopoly on streaming content wasn’t a good situation, either.

• Kaiserschmarrn@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

For around two years now I’m using Kodi with Seren and Real-Debrid on my Smart TV and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.