Hi Pixel 8 and 8 pro users, how has your experience with the new line of phones been so far? I’m still rocking a pixel 6 pro, and don’t intend on upgrading this year; however, as a pixel nerd, I am curious about how the new phone is holding up? Has there been any noticeable improvements or compromises compared to your last device? Most importantly are you still enjoying it?

• Karcinogen
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Is the fingerprint sensor any better? I find the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 6 leaves much to be desired.

• lawsuit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Had Oneplus 7T Pro for 4 years and did a Pixel 8 Pro upgrade, the fingerprint sensor is really bad for a phone that cost this much.

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Definitely not any better in my experience, although I do think there is some luck involved in how well it captures your fingerprint when you’re setting it up.

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I had a P6P and now have the P8P - I assume what you’re complaining about is the delay it takes for the P6P to recognize your fingerprint compared to some other phones?

If so: I did notice the 8P recognized faster than the P6P did - though still nowhere near as fast as I’ve seen the Samsung Galaxy S21’s sensor work for someone else I know.

The speed benefit of the P8P went away after I added a screen protector though - the ZAGG one from the Google Store. Now it’s just as slow as I remember it being on the P6P, with a bit more unreliability to boot - sometimes I have to reposition or rescan my finger. (I did remember to re-enroll my fingers after applying the protector) (There was no unreliability before the protector or on the P6P)

• alansuspect@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’ve got a Pixel 6 Pro and I hate the fingerprint sensor. Most of the time it just straight-up doesn’t work. My last phone (a Xiaomi) had it on the side and an old Moto (I think) had it on the back and both were far superior, not just technology-wise but also comfort.

• Lord_Logjam@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s not miles better than the P6, but it does feel more consistent. Also face unlock makes it a mute point most of the time anyway.

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Face unlock is finicky though. You have to be pretty close and it doesn’t work in dim lighting. It also is slower sometimes than just using the FP scanner.

IDK, it’s nice to have, but it’s not great.