Houston lawsuit seeks to halt looming “Death Star” bill

• Bautznersenf@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

If Texans could grow a pair and actually start voting. Team red is no longer in the majority, I’m sure of it. The only thing holding the state back is voter apathy.

• LuckyLemor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The only thing holding the state back is voter apathy.

Don’t forget the rampant voter suppression.

• 丂イ乇尺レノ刀ム@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That and they purposely make it difficult to vote down here to dissuade people even more from voting. I do my part every time to try to get these pieces of garbage out, and somehow it just stays the same. It’s so frustrating.

• PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I’m a leftist in a red area. I waited 5 minutes to vote. There were dozens of voting booths, just as many volunteer workers, and it’s a relatively unpopulated area. The only reason I even had to wait was because two or three people ahead of me there was an argument about needing ID. There were also three or four voting locations within a 15 minute drive.

My buddy lives downtown. The entire city only had a few voting locations. It was a two hour wait, for like six voting booths. It was also outside of downtown proper, and was a 30 minute walk away from the nearest rail line.

They know that people won’t want to wait longer than their lunch break. They know that people in the city don’t have cars, and will rely on the train to get where they’re going. Yeah, voter suppression is in full swing.

• Bautznersenf@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s really not that difficult. You’ve usually got at least a week of early voting available.

• Soulg@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s very different depending on where you live. It’s easy for me to vote too, but that doesn’t make ye problems elsewhere imaginary.

• sarsaparilyptus@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Don’t forget all the fifth-columnists who keep on trying to convince young people that voting can’t change anything. They’re desperate to push that ideal, and why not? It’s worked for decades.

• finder@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Because they have not experienced the cruelty of what they are supporting. . . yet. The moment they do, they’ll cry and whine that it’s affecting them.

See Florida stopping permanent alimony and the blow back from Republicans that are shocked it’s affecting them.

• HandsHurtLoL@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I just left two massive comments over on that thread explaining why the Florida law is problematic despite parts of it sounding common sensical.

• Drusas@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’ve been online way too much over the past couple days, and I haven’t even come across any posts about that. Was that here on the fediverse? If so, apparently I need to find some more communities.

• HandsHurtLoL@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Quickly adding that !politics is a different place than /m/politics, which is on kbin.social. /m/politics is not very active, and I recently created a post to generate interest in finding moderators because there are 2 major alt-right assholes over there who are posting frequently and are like 30% of all the threads created there.

• WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

The funny thing is that alt-right assholes is virulently anti-Trump and pro-DeSantis. It’s hilarious seeing them tie themselves up in knots trying to justify why Trump’s flavour of alt-right bullshit is bad but DeSantis’ nearly identical flavour is good.

• Drusas@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 year ago

I could probably manage to be a temporary moderator with how much I’m online lately. I certainly like to report alt right assholes, so blocking them or removing their content isn’t far off.

Don’t know that I can say I can do it long-term, however. Especially if it becomes very big.

Edit: I myself am on kbin.social, but I subscribe to duplicate magazines/communities on other instances.

• Thorosofbeer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

From the title alone you can tell this article is going to be sensationalist because the law doesn’t “ban” water breaks. That’s not even a mistake it is an intentional lie to make it sound worse.

• coffeetest@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Maybe you’d like to explain then.

“Once HB 2127 goes into effect in September, local ordinances mandating water breaks for workers outdoors in cities across the state, which the Observer writes contributed to a “significant decrease in annual heat-related illnesses and heat deaths,” will be overturned and localities will be barred from passing new ones.”

• CrazyEddie041@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I mean, teeechnically he’s still right. It doesn’t ban water breaks, it bans mandating water breaks. Companies are still free to give people breaks, but not because they’re legally required to. All that being said… for all intents and purposes, it’s a water break ban.

• EtherWhack@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think they are meaning that it removes the requirement to give water breaks, doesn’t ban them, but leaves if they are actually allowed to the employer (of which could now penalize the employee if they wanted)

• keeb420@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

and we all know in capitalism employers always act in the best interest of their employees and never abuse them or anything.