• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

He’s the crazy bully that hangs out with the group, has all the fun sadistic ideas, everybody goes oh don’t listen to him He’s crazy. But they’re really listening to see how other people react to that crazy idea. The crazy outspoken guys testing the water, and if people don’t argue too much…

It’s like the racist making a joke not joke in a conversation to test you… Schrödinger’s douchebag… Except on a global political scale

• filister@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Point is that if this had happened anywhere outside Israel and the remark would be towards Israel, there would have been a huge outcry, and this guy would have been arrested, but now I am not even sure he will be removed from the government or returned silently after some time.

Justice for me but not for thee.

• Tarte@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

but now I am not even sure he will be removed from the government

He has now been removed from the government.

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

There have been Russian politicians defending using nukes in Ukraine, though not actually wanting to nuke a city of 2 million people.

Then again, the Russians are nowhere as racist towards Ukranians and actually want those in the occupied Ukranian territory to become Russians, whilst the Israelis want all Palestinians to die or to leave their land, not to integrate.

• jonne@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Ireland is one of the few western countries that have criticised Israel’s response to the Hamas attacks, so they’re being punished now.

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

They remember how it is to have your homeland occupied by a neighbouring nation that thinks you are an inferior people.

• jonne@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

But on brand for Israel. I guess when they say ‘never again’, they’re not talking about genocide in general.

• Apollo@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Never again to us is what you should interpret it as. A group taking steps to ensure that their near genocide can never be repeated doesn’t burden them with a moral crusade to end all genocide.

• filister@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

They got criticized by Michael D. Higgins. This guy is unreal. He is so charismatic and positive and though I don’t know him personally he looks like an amazing human being.

• skillissuer
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

i read this at first “far-right monster” and this also works

• ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

…am I misunderstanding the distance between israel and gaza or am I misunderstanding how nukes work? This sounds like a really bad plan unless I’m wrong about something.

• jet@hackertalks.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Tactical nukes exist, there would be fallout, but depending on the nuke itself, and the burst configuration, that could be limited, and with favorable winds go out over the sea.

Not to mention neutron bombs which are “cleaner” and just kill organics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_bomb

But none of this really makes sense, given the fact that gaza’s completely surrounded, and total air and military superiority exists there’s cleaner ways to kill everyone.

One could argue this politician is trying to anchor a really bad idea, so the people agree with a terrible idea that’s not as bad later.

• skillissuer
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

(western) neutron bombs were made for single and very specific explicit purpose: to kill crews of soviet tanks quickly while not generating too much fallout over friendly territory (west germany). neutron bombs are still nukes and still have powerful blast and so on; but while everyone outside of tank is fried anyway no matter what nuke you use, neutrons specifically ignore heavy metal shielding. neutrons are however also stopped by things like air, concrete, and especially water, fuel, plastics and such; most importantly, when first DPICM and then antitank PGMs deployable from considerable distance (think CBU-97 or BONUS, not ATGMs) became a thing, these things just stopped being necessary and were withdrawn from service

against a city you don’t want a neutron bomb. other than tanks, it’s a thing to be used against other nukes, but nuclear anti-ballistic defenses seem a little crazy today so it was phased out too. if you look at actual doomsday arsenals of actual nuclear states, the things stockpiled are plain ol big dirty thermonuclear devices, dial-a-yield from below 1kt to somewhere around 500kt with guidance kit added. even against other nukes neutron bombs aren’t expected to be used today, turns out just bending them out of shape while still in silo seems to be easier

does israel have neutron bombs? probably, would it be effective against a city? not more than regular nukes, and at any rate, just like you say, tons and tons of PGMs are just simpler, easier to deal with and much safer diplomatically

• ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

See, that’s what I was thinking but you’re a whole lot more technical than “yeah I’m pretty sure that is dumb” like I said lol.

• pacific@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Not an expert by any means, but nukes can get smaller than one would think. The fallout would be the most dangerous thing for Israel, in both the physical and political sense.

• febra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

And this is what western leaders throw their “unconditional support” at…

• evulhotdog@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I feel like it’s a temporary formality to avoid backlash. I’m sure this is one of Bibi’s top staff.

He’s there to test the waters.

• sarcasticsunrise@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s gotta be the most pro-genocide comment section I’ve ever seen. I know it’s an Israeli publication, but goddamn there’s some disturbing shit there

• filister@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

It’s almost like there are paid bots there to defend whatever atrocities Israel is doing.

• FunkyButter@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

He has been censured by the Israeli government and stripped him of his ability to be in briefing meetings. Many in the Knesset are also now working to have him removed. The prime minister immediately released a statement that this was completely inappropriate and contrary to the way in which the IDF operates in accordance with the rules of armed conflicts.

• Sparlock@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

As far as nukes go you are right. Israel has long had a neither confirm nor deny stance when asked if they have nukes.

Everyone knows they do but they have never admitted to it.

This guy is getting shit for confirming that Israel does in fact have nukes.
        Thats the real reason they are pissed at him.

Not for the idea itself.

• sirboozebum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

The Isreali Minisitry of Intelligence had literally drafted up an options plan to ethnically cleanse Gaza and deport everyone.

Let’s not congratulate Isreal on drawing the line at nukes.

• RampantParanoia2365@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

…and would be completely self-destructive. This would be like New York City nuking Hoboken.

Or like uptown Manhattan nuking downtown Manhattan.

• SeaJ@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Is Gaza not considered desert? Should they move to the Negev?

• badbytes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Prime Minister of reality suggest Israel should move to fuck all. So when someone suggest nukeing Israel and killing every last one, I don’t wanna hear shit.