• @redd
        link
        English
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Yes almost all modern cars have it to support steering. But if the pump, motor or battery is broken it can still be steered with muscle power. The nightmare of every car owner is a bricked car which can not be moved anymore, even when its done by towing or pushing.

• Montagge
          link
          fedilink
          07 months ago

That’s true though many of them aren’t designed to be steered without the power steering operational so the more you drive manually the more damage you do.
          I would assume this would be a similar system in this case. There’s no way an unsteerable car would be allowed on public roads.

• @mxcory@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            77 months ago

Steer by wire means there is no mechanical connection to the steering. (article also mentions this.) Fly by wire is the plane equivalent.

I am curious about what sort of failsafe they will have.

Steering system taking damage during emergency use is preferable to no steering.

Article mentions there is safely legislation for China and the EU, but I am too lazy to look that up.

• @this_1_is_mine@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              17 months ago

The very first planes were fly by wire… But analog wires Idfk lol . you actually had tensioned wires that stretch between the control peddles or yoke to the control surfaces… This is fly by cellphone. No actual physical connectionn. If the power goes out or maybe … A bad connection, you are going to have problems. I would rather full manual steering give me back the big ass steering wheel. They are looking to speed up the whole ease of assembly and “repair”. Much easier if its only a plug or two and a couple bolts to remove the rack and no slip joint, no hydro. No extra brackets off the engine which is already a accessory and timing mess of belts and chains.

• @WetBeardHairs@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    77 months ago

We also got to try the Neo Steer system, which uses a paddle behind the wheel to brake with your left hand and an actuator for your right thumb to accelerate. This is far less mature and harder to drive anyway, with a much quicker 90deg steer-by-wire ratio. The accelerator and particularly the brake controls were not linear either and it’s easy to get in a muddle.

You can pry the accelerator and brake pedals from my cold dead… err… feet.

• @tacosanonymous@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      57 months ago

That presents problems when trying to stop/maintain speeds while turning. Pedals are the better choice. Maybe alternatives for people with disabilities like throttles or something.

• @Death_Equity@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        07 months ago

I think the only way to make that system work would be to adjust your driving habits. Not like you should be braking or accelerating at full lock anyways.

• @Vilian@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        07 months ago

to be fair the throttles being in the hand prevent dumbassess from accelerating the car in a turn and crashing in others(but not for brake, keep them down there)

• snooggums
          link
          fedilink
          97 months ago

Sometime it is necessary to accelerate while turning, either to get out of a dangerous situation, to address traction issues in snow or other bad weather, or the most frequent situation of turning into an upward slope that requires more power than was needed when you started the turn.

• Rentlar
      link
      fedilink
      English
      17 months ago

2027 model: you have to mash the A and D buttons at the right frequency to turn correctly.