https://youtu.be/unKNNiYQFp4

everybody has bias, even historians. its in the words they use, how often they mention something (or how little), the pictures/video (lighting, filters, etc).

marxism is a form of critical thinking.

• Chay ☭@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I told this joke to a Western lib once in real life and he replied with “Yes, it might be true […] but here we have the free press” and went off about how in the Western societes there’s this magical “free press”, I thought he was sarcastic at first

• CriticalResist8@lemmygrad.mlM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Parenti talks about this in Inventing reality. He was talking about a CNN or NBC anchor who said they don’t have to do propaganda or have any bias, their employer lets them say stuff freely. Parenti pointed out that the anchor may believe that, and even their employer may believe that too, but they would never have received this job if they were going to say something NBC didn’t want.

The pervasiveness of the superstructure is that it self-reproduces ideology, much like the base self-reproduces class relations.

He gave the name of the anchor btw and pulled from public statements like interviews and such, I just don’t care to remember their name.

• LVL@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I remember he also pointed out the self-censorship journalists go through as well. They think they are free to report on whatever, but especially earlier in their careers they learn that certain stories will be rejected by their editors or if accepted by editors, anger comes their way from higher ups. And from those experiences they learn to not write about certain things because they know it won’t reach print or air on TV.

I also have the book saved on my e-reader and tried finding the part you talk about (I remember reading it) but couldn’t find it.

• ghostOfRoux();@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Hey I just started reading this! I’m early into it but I keep thinking how this book is 30 years old and just how much worse it probably is now.