• epicsninja@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I initially did not get this, because most of the games I play aren’t microtransaction riddled hell.

• BroBot9000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Or you could stop playing games that are made to suck as much money from your pockets as possible then implode once they are no longer profitable. Then they get to replace the game with an identical product and tape a 2 at the end and repeat the cycle.

Stop fucking preordering and purchasing scams!

• fiah
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

that’s what psychopaths realize and exploit their whole life. In a way, all of us non fucked up people are like NPCs in their big psychopath MMO

• technojamin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I loved the post, and I love your snarky response. I feel like this is exactly the level of insight a showerthought should have.

• fubo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The Outside is a pretty cool game. There are indeed shops there.

• nezbyte@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Just be sure you have enough money to pay the shopkeeper, the in-game justice system can really set you back if you try and steal items.

• fubo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Recently most clerks are coded not to summon city guards, but random NPCs may start aggro depending on your race & class.

• Guster@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I don’t like the recent patches, my build is very off meta and weak at the moment. I hope the devs will buff the support class soon

• slazer2au@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Too bad it is Pay to win and the Devs do not listen to the non whale users about problems.

• penquin@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Yup. Yesterday, I was shocked to find out my favorite soccer game of all time PES was completely free of charge. It is now called “e-football”, but you guessed it, microtransactions everywhere. It did have a whole store for buying “coins”. Me being me, I’ve just been playing for free and having the time of my life 😂

• BroBot9000@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Until you hit the paywall. Which you will.

These games are made to let you play just long enough to get hooked and then tighten the grip slowly to get you to pay.

These aren’t games they are parasitic services.

• penquin@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I’ll just stop playing it when it gets to that point. I have never and never will pay for a single microtransaction. Plus, I don’t really play a lot of games anyway. I don’t even play daily. You know, life, work, kids and all that stuff. I can barely play a couple of hours a week anyway. :)

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

While you’re right in some cases, many of these companies want lots of ftp players to keep the whales playing, as it gives them people to play against. Any empty game is no fun for anyone.

I stopped playing brawl stars maybe a year ago. That’s 4+ years of playing a game without spending a cent on it. It was a similar thing with clash royale and clash of clans. I never felt I hit a paywall. Pokemon go I still occasionally play, and never spent s dollar.

I agree that they are parasitic, as they take advantage of people without impulse control, but they’ve been great for me as I get access to high quality games without having to pay.

• BroBot9000@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Have you heard of boiling frogs?

“The boiling frog story is generally offered as a metaphor cautioning people to be aware of even gradual change lest they suffer eventual undesirable consequences. It may be invoked in support of a slippery slope argument as a caution against creeping normality. It is also used in business to reinforce that change needs to be gradual to be accepted. The term “boiling frog syndrome” is a metaphor used to describe the failure to act against a problematic situation which will increase in severity until reaching catastrophic proportions. It thereby encapsulates the barely noticeable impact of slow environmental degradation that has been described by Daniel Pauly as shifting baselines.”

Case in point:

“It’s not so bad, they give me free stuff.”

They stop making regular games and everything is a live service.

“Thats cool, we still get to play for FREE if we prop up their revenue stream.”

Games get aggressive with charges and adds a hard paywall.

“Thats cool, at least long term fans are enjoying the gameplay they provide.”

They kill off the original in favour of marketing part 2 with more enshittification and half the content of the original missing.

“Oh…”

You are the boiling frog.

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

This is such a weird response.

Your initial claim was that you will hit a paywall. I explained how I played multiple games for many years each where I didn’t hit a paywall.

Was that challenged or even acknowledged? No. All you did was move on to a hypothetical.

And the weirdest part about this hypothetical is that my post already kind of addresses it in the very first sentence: “many of these companies want lots of ftp players to keep the whales playing, as it gives them people to play against. Any empty game is no fun for anyone.”

Was this addressed or even acknowledged? No.

Maybe you’re right, but I question how much critical thought this was actually given when there was neither an admission that the original claim was wrong, nor even a mention of a point already made that totally undercuts the hypothetical.

• BroBot9000@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Yes and in the past games used to not have loot boxes and subscriptions.

Your experience in the past does not represent an accurate view of the future of games.

You might have had fun with free shit but that’s not the case for everyone and every game. Especially moving forward with how games are developed nowadays. You are projecting your “good” experience onto many players that didn’t.

If it’s only got a playerbase because it’s giving free shit to attract players for whales then that game is a fucking scam.

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Your experience in the past does not represent an accurate view of the future of games.

I never said it did. You’re the one predicting the future of gaming, while ignoring things in the present that call into question your assumptions. So I suggest that your hypothetical probably doesn’t represent the future either.

You are projecting your “good” experience onto many players that didn’t.

Lol all I did was point out that your claims of facts are not true, and that your prediction about the future ignores important things about the model now. In fact I very explicitly said “for me.” So this claim I was suggesting it’s the same for everyone is kind of ridiculous. Seems like your MO is ignoring what was said in favor of what you want to be true.