• Tee@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

don’t you get it? how can we establish democratic peace if we don’t bomb those russians and take over their land? You can’t be kind and talk it out, especially against these russians. Now I understand civilians are involved. But then, why did they vote for Putsin? They aren’t so different from the government, and if they hate it so much, just get out of there. not that difficult. why are people talking about international peace relations as if it can be achieved? Violence is inherent in us. It is a human trait. Didn’t international peace cause Stalin and Nazi Germany to kill 10 trillion people? People should take this more seriously and keep emotions off politics. For fucks sake.

• Black Yeonmi Par𝕏@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Would’ve been a 10/10 lib spew if you’d have found a way to work ‘the end of history’ somewhere in there; as such I can only award this a 7.8 out of 10

• cayde6ml@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Under communism there is a big red shiny button with a hammer and sickle on it that we just press to prevent heat death of the cosmos. Everything outside of our bubble reboots.

• Отояна@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

how can we establish democratic peace if we don’t bomb those russians and take over their land?

Barely anybody says that besides some uninteresting figures mentioning a ridiculous idea of balkanizing Russia… (Balkanize my balls).

But then, why did they vote for Putsin?

Putin isn’t a legitimate leader who got honest public’s vote. In reality most of Russians who are dependent to governmental institutions are forced to participate in the electoral apparatus for statistics’ sake only. People just have to show up. There’s various cases of fully discovered falsifications, independent spectatorship isn’t allowed. The whole process is just shady, especially after “online vote” has been established, which has pretty non-trasperent protocol.

They aren’t so different from the government, and if they hate it so much, just get out of there. not that difficult.

Unironically this, since the summer of 2021 Zelensky has been pushing for proper face-to-face negotiations with Vladimir Putin personally and was… Geopolitically ghosted. Zelensky was ready to make Pashinyan at the start of the war and basically… Give up Crimean region. Seeing all of the tactical and local failures of Russian military made it obvious that they weren’t planning for long-term, full-scale attrition war that required full involvement and genuine contributions from society.

Why are people talking about international peace relations as if it can be achieved?

Modern humanity established certain systems throughout these two centuries, despite all of the internal contradictions of modern governments’ development and longing for full-scale mobilized and militarized societies, we created mostly consistent precedents of geopolitical relations… Yes, they’re hypocritical, yes, they’re not fair and they left an irrational policeman with a huge propane baton in charge of our globalized economy, but at least they prevent consistent genocides, long-term attrition wars amongst European nations.

Didn’t international peace cause Stalin and Nazi Germany to kill 10 trillion people?

Entirely backwards, Stalin and Nazi Germany killing 10 trillion people caused international peace.

• ButtigiegMineralMap@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

That line pissed me off bc Xi Jinping and a few other non-aligned states have tried to get them to the diplomatic table and end this, but obv Zelenskyy was too self-centered and war-hungry to see reason.

• SpaceDogs@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I heard about Xi Jingping doing this but never heard what resulted of that. Does anyone have good documentation of the conversation?

• SpaceDogs@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Crimea (or was it a different region) want to be annexed by Russia and that’s what made NATO step in?

• ButtigiegMineralMap@lemmygrad.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I mean basically everyone in Russia considers it to be Russian. My favorite thing in the late 2010s was all the libs creaming their jeans over Navalny, only for him to basically be like “Yea I don’t like Putin…Crimea is still Russia tho” lol

• SpaceDogs@lemmygrad.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Okay so it was Crimea that wanted to leave Ukraine. I see so many regional names thrown around I get confused so thank you.

Anyway, at this point if they wanted to leave to damn bad why is Zelensky being so stubborn? The people there don’t even want to be a part of Ukraine anymore, why would he want to keep it?

• It’s not really about Zelensky, he’s basically a figurehead, like most leaders in capitalist countries. The capitalists (Ukrainian and foreign, mainly Amerikan) and the military are more or less in control of Ukraine at this point (Zelensky himself was heavily funded by one of Ukraine’s largest capitalists). As for why they care about retaining Crimea, I’m sure there are economic reasons for the Ukrainian capitalists, Amerika is likely just using it to ensure that there won’t be a peace deal, and there are certainly reasons for the Nazis who control the military; if you look at what they’ve done to people they viewed as Russian collaborators throughout the conflict and what they’ve been doing to the people in the Donbas, you can imagine what they’d do if they got a hold of Crimea

• CriticalResist8@lemmygrad.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Crimea was handed to Ukraine by Krushchev in the time of the USSR, it was Russian before that for I don’t know how long, but as others said pretty much everyone living in Crimea is Russian to this day.

• PolandIsAStateOfMind@lemmygrad.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                1 year ago

it was Russian before that for I don’t know how long

1783, the fall of Crimean Khanate, but most of population was Slavic for a loong time by then, Tatars ruling it were a minority.

• supersolid_snake@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Well yes, the world is restructuring itself. They got fat after the fall of the USSR, but not as much as they wanted.

• cayde6ml@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Nothing is ever enough for capitalist parasites. They could monetize the multiverse itself and still speak of upcoming quarterly profits.

• sudojonz@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

And the greedy parasites are so ill-informed of their own system they don’t even realize the unescapable inevitability of the capitalist model: eventually profit will become 0. They can’t hide behind “externalities” forever, despite their efforts.

• SpaceDogs@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Based on our track record it seems to be heading in that direction. I hope it doesn’t come to that.

• Fiona (she/her)🏳️‍⚧️@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t much like this Tisdall guy. Occasionally I look over The Guardian, and whenever I see one of his opinion pieces, it’s always something along the lines of “why not enforcing Anglo imperialist aims is bad!”

And the sad part is that he genuinely seems to believe that continued Anglo dominance is somehow a positive thing for the world

• Addfwyn@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

And the sad part is that he genuinely seems to believe that continued Anglo dominance is somehow a positive thing for the world

His entire worldview seems to stem from that. Couping and usurping other countries is totally fine, long as it is the western powers that do it.

• Addfwyn@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“Tisdall is a proponent of regime change as a political and military tool of Western bloc countries to enforce a change of government or leadership in an opposing or designated enemy country.”

Why am I not surprised.

• Commiejones@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

is it just me or does that picture of the propogandist writer look like the epitome of a Liberal wanker?

• JucheBot1988@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

The face of a guy who would be celibate the rest of his life if his government (1) cracked down on prostitution and (2) started rigorously enforcing age-of-consent laws.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I will leave the US the minute I hear whispers of a draft occurring if that were to be a concern.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I wouldn’t want to go to Canada anyway. Fear over where the US is going has been a huge motivating factor in improving my spanish I will say

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

I want to get back into studying Chinese but haven’t it quite a few years. I’ve gotten so much better at Spanish than I ever was at Chinese I almost don’t want to go back.

• cayde6ml@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Speaking as a latino, I would rather not be shot by the border patrol nazis. You think they give a shit about my I.D. as soon as they see my skin color?

• albigu@lemmygrad.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

If you are a citizen of the USA, you can just book a plane before the draft. Down South you don’t have to get visas most of the time and you can then just overstay your inexistent visa. Might be some trouble and cost adapting but it’s better than dying in Ukraine and I don’t think it’d be that much cheaper to go to Mejico that the alternative becomes prohibitive. You can even do the ol’ “Actually I just enrolled into university so I can’t fight” trick since Argentina and a few others have plenty of open admission zero-tuition universities.

• HakFoo@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The over/under for some talking head saying “To save the village Ukraine, we must destroy it” with a straight face is August 17.

• Mzuark@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

How many Ukrainian soldiers are even left, do you think? They’ve been getting ground into dust nonstop for a year and a half. If their army is legitimately gone then no wonder we’re seeing more calls for Nato intervention.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

How is this person qualified to write this article if, in a “profession” publication he can’t write NATO in uppercase?

• Commiejones@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I often write “nato” but I do it intentionally to signify my derision. I also do this with “nazis” “trump” and “biden.”

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, but you aren’t writing news articles. News articles ought to always use the offical name

• lesseva96@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t see how the guy is wrong? Putin shouldn’t be allowed to annex countries as he likes?

• REEEEvolution@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Weird, I can not remember that shit, or you for that matter, caring when the USA did the exact same thing. Back then Russia stated that this would set a dangerous precent, and here we are.

What’s your alternative to even greater slaughter? Send in the next wave, so you can feel self rightious?

• lesseva96@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Dang is that your best rebuttal? USA whataboutism? And assuming that, just because I saw this nonsense on my feed and deigned to disagree, I automatically support any dumb old war and gleefully cheer on the carnage?

The way to end this war is to make it clear to Russia that Ukraine has the West’s absolute and unending support, that for every day they spend engaged in this fruitless invasion, their society plunges closer and closer to the stone age. This is best done by meeting Ukraine’s materiel requirements and continuing to diplomatically isolate Russia. If Ukraine gets F-16s, the war will be over by Christmas.

Please also remember, the West is not the aggressor here. Ukraine’s membership in NATO was explicitly refused in 2008 and at the 2021 Brussels summit, shortly before Russia invaded anyway. Russia had no reason to believe that Ukraine was gonna become an American military base, but invaded anyway. The moral responsibility for any casualties that have/will have occurred as a result of this war fall squarely on the shoulders of Russia’s mafia-style dictatorship.