In a dispute over a repair law, Subaru and Kia crippled their own wireless features in Massachusetts. Maine could be next.

• Pika
    link
    fedilink
    English
    327 months ago

I mean, I think the only proper response to this is just a boycott or a straight ban on companies that do that in the states. It would let smaller companies slide in, or other competitors take over. Currently it’s a contest between the two companies and their customers, just don’t buy if they don’t have the features, companies will either revert the decision or pull out of the regions.

• @douglasg14b@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        107 months ago

This is the true answer here.

Government doing it’s job and regulating companies to prevent anti-consumer practices and hostile design.

• @quicksand@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        47 months ago

I agree. There’s not like hundreds of unknown car manufacturers just waiting for this privacy opportunity to strike so they make it big, who can then ramp up production to meet the need… There’s no way free market principles can provide a solution in this case

• @WindyRebel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      7 months ago

And when all the auto manufacturers are doing that? We all drive a Little Tikes coupe?

Not like we have much choice because they will all do it.

• Montagge
            link
            fedilink
            57 months ago

I’m confused how you can afford to finance a new car but can’t afford the occasional repair on a used one. I wasn’t referring to buying one with a blown up engine, missing a carb compliant cat, and a transmission in limp mode.

• Pika
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Capitalism always takes over, if there is potential to sell someone will step in. Used to have small car shops and stores all around, big companies came in and they all closed shop, it’ll go back to that most likely, although it’s more likely other competitors will take advantage of the situation and just move in instead. Especially if the situation expands to further states.

• @WindyRebel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          47 months ago

I’d hope the free market will move in and create competition. I am pessimistic though. I think anyone who tries will be shut down by buyouts/suppression.

• @ApostleO@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            77 months ago

Yeah, imagine a small rural town trying to start their own car factory today.

“Oh, it’s going to cost $100 Million? Well shit…”

• Zorque
            link
            fedilink
            07 months ago

The magic hand of the free market is an illusion created by capitalists trying to fool consumers into thinking they have the power of choice. Someone will only step in to fill in a void if it’s economically viable. Too many people depend on cars, in the US, to just… not buy them. And preparing to fill that void takes a metric fuck ton of capital and time to set up. In the mean time people need vehicles to get around. Not to mention commercial fleets, delivery vehicles and rentals.

• @quicksand@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          27 months ago

Your example makes the opposite of your point. How are small companies supposed to compete against the economy of scale? This is especially true in things that require a lot of manufacturing. There’s an insane amount of upfront capital necessary to even be able to come close to competing.

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      57 months ago

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a boycott actually work. We need to force them with regulation or other means.

• @psycho_driver@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        7 months ago

In the States at least there are far too many dumb consumers for any meaningful boycott. I think we’ll have to rely on the EU to save us, as usual.

• @0110010001100010@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    177 months ago

Which is why I’m going to keep buying older, “dumb” cars as long as a can. Not only do they not have this BS they are easier to work on. My oldest car is a 2012 Mazda3 (after my son totaled the 2007 Accord).

• @nehal3m@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      47 months ago

2003 Toyota. Using it till the wheels fall off.

I made a sizable dent with my trailer a few days ago and had a good laugh.

• @0110010001100010@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        87 months ago

It’s not a very thrilling story…

There is a 2-way stop around the corner from our house that you have to use pretty much all the time to go anywhere. He was turning left, dude across the way was turning right. We’d told him over and over and over just let the other person go because they are going to go anyway. Well, he didn’t listen. He turned (and had the right-away as he was there first) only to be hit on the passenger-side front by an F350 with a trailer. It was very low speed but big-ass truck vs little sedan it was done for. Fortunately, highway patrol had no problem realizing it was the other dudes fault so cited him and his insurance had to pay for the total. Ended up replacing it with a 2014 Focus which is very meh but it’s been largely fine.

• this_is_router
      link
      fedilink
      157 months ago

Do you really think this won’t be the norm in 5-10 years? Now it’s some, in a few years OP is right, so why bother with your argument that not all cars are like this at the moment?

• Striker
    link
    fedilink
    87 months ago

I would care about this if I could afford a car 😭 😭.

• FiveMacs
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Hence why I bought a manual with no connectivity or IoT toys. It’s a car, let me drive