M
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

This comment section went downhill in a hurry. I’m locking this post for a while.

Edit: Unlocked.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Edit: Can y’all please stop downvoting this person for being confused? Rule number one. Be kind. They’re not being a dick here or being cruel or anything. Give them the benefit of the doubt please.

JK Rowling is the author of Harry Potter and was primarily known for this. Loved, even, for this. An enormous fanbase. Not to say that there weren’t issues with her portrayal of POC characters or doses of antisemitic behavior (The Goblin Bank literally has a MASSIVE Star of David in the middle of their lobby) but people still loved her nonetheless.

Yet overtime she started adding random stupid things to canon. People asking about bathrooms and her randomly tweeting in response that wizards used to just shit themselves and then magic it all away. This happened more and more with all manner of subjects that started to really point out she was a piece of shit. When people started talking about her portrayal of various different characters, she sort of went off the deep end. She started getting really entrenched in her position and bitter towards everyone. One of these positions was that trans homies are not homies. The typical “mental illness/grooming/rapists” reasoning. Her position within the fandom fell into utter freefall and fractured an enormous amount of said fandom. This then bled into popular culture as a whole because she’s such a popular and influential public figure. She just kept digging and digging and digging and now she’s primarily known online as “That bigoted bitch who wrote the wizard books”. The entire Harry Potter franchise has become slightly toxic to the touch. Hogwarts Legacy was released to immense backlash and almost none of it was the fact that the game was a raging, repetitive and extremely badly written pile of hot garbage that had no character development or story consequences. Even the actor who played Hermione (not sure about others) came out and said that they would have nothing to do with a Harry Potter continuation or reboot if JK Rowling was involved in any way whatsoever which is what led JK and WB to team up to remake the Harry Potter series. There has been a TV show that was announced with JK herself being heavily involved.

While still a massive franchise and a massive fandom, Harry Potter has aggressively slouched in those ratings and has been inextricably linked to the personal opinions of the author formerly known as JK Rowling. Honestly I just refer to her as “that transphobic bitch who wrote about the wizards” most of the time now.

Edit: Fix’d.

• YaksDC@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Thank you for the very detailed explanation. I knew who she was but not about any of this. I read one or two of the books when they first came out but never really got into it. Also thank you for pointing out that just because someone does not know about the thing you like, does not make them a troll. I just wanted to understand the image.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Hey, you asked. I try my best to be helpful when I can.

Also, of course. I’m trying my best to make this place welcoming for everyone except trolls and bigots. You are neither. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until given a reason otherwise. Can’t say that I don’t fuck up a lot but I’m trying to help make Lemmy a better place than most other internet rabbitholes.

• chaogomu@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The bathroom thing was just so stupid.

It contradicts the lore of the books.

The entrance to the Chamber of Secrets was literally built in a bathroom. She could have just said it was a Roman style bathroom that was later retrofitted to be modern.

And Dumbledore let’s Harry know about the Room of Requirements by telling a story about how he once needed a chamberpot. A magic chamberpot? Sure. Makes more sense than shitting himself.

• glorious_albus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Even the actors of Harry and Hermione (not sure about others) came out and said that they would have nothing to do with a Harry Potter continuation or reboot if JK Rowling was involved

Source on this? Curious because the only thing I can find Radcliffe saying is “I’m very excited to see what other people do with it. The comparison I’ve made is to a story like Sherlock Holmes. I think the Potter series of books was always gonna be bigger than one interpretation or one franchise, so it’ll be cool to see the torch get passed on.”

• Huby@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I agree with this for the most part, but saying Hogwarts Legacy objectively sucks is just wrong. Most people liked the game, including me (although the main story plot is not great).

• cricket98@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Hogwarts Legacy is rife with problems and those problems are objective. It’s not based on opinion.

It’s so funny when people try to claim that their opinion is objective. Sorry bro, this is still your opinion. LOTS of people enjoyed the game, and if people enjoyed the game safe to say it did its job.

• cricket98@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

The basic standards of a game is “is it fun”. If people had fun then it served it’s purpose. Just because you didn’t like it doesn’t mean it’s an objectively bad game. I highly doubt your opinion on the game is free of external biases

• Aa!@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

I’m pretty sure what you’re missing here is that you did give (arguably) objective descriptions of issues with the game, but it’s still your opinion that these make the game a failure. Sure, it didn’t meet up to your standards, but those standards are absolutely subjective.

Lots of games are repetitive. Lots of games have no story consequences shown in the game. They still succeed at being games, even if they don’t meet your standards.

I get it, you are passionate about this, but you’re mistaken at this point.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Visually, yes. However the actual gameplay loop becomes hyper repetitive within the space of 2-3 hours and that the plot is genuine garbage that has no resolution or consequences.

• no banana @lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

I actually think it’s pretty nice but you can tell that it’s been gutted a lot because of time constraints.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

I cannot find a single redeeming part of the storyline at all. It’s all hyper contrite, characters motivations/personalities seem to make no sense, the random seasonal jumps are jarring and demonstrate how little characters grow, and the ending literally has no consequence. I chose the ‘evil’ ending and nothing happened outside of that professor dying. Despite absorbing all the ancient energies of doom that these 4 paintings had sealed away, not a single one of them cared despite them insisting on me stopping someone else who was doing precisely the same thing. Despite them saying that no one should have that type of power. I rocked up with said power and they’re just like “Hey Jason.”

• no banana @lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s a masterpiece. It’s nice, but could have been way better.

• XbSuper@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Lol, like she cares what anyone thinks. Lady’s loaded, our opinions are meaningless.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I don’t care that future children will learn that the second most interesting thing about me is that I was hateful, because I have lots of money that will keep my corpse company!

• a liar and/or sociopath
  • Omega_Haxors@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

“Isn’t that the lady who does a bunch of racism antisemitism and transphobia?”

“Homer no! That’s JQ Lolling, probably one of the world’s greatest writers!!”

• dingleberry
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

That’s an old episode, no? What did she do back then?

• AMillionNames@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Indeed, it’s what happens when the unstoppable force of societal values meets the immovable object of someone’s personal ego.

• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The Simpsons writers are experts on being the authors of their own public humiliation - they’ve been doing it for over twenty years now.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah I especially find this post hypocritical because matt groening is a super well known bigot! /s

• Omega_Haxors@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Lily Simpson did a great video exposé of the Simpson’s passive transphobia. Personally I think a lot of their gay jokes are regressive as well.

• Blizzard@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Keep in mind that lemmy downvotes don’t mean shit and you can just keep on liking her.

• lowleveldata@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

lemmy downvotes don’t mean shit

What do you mean? I’m proud of that one comment that I made almost a hundred person mad