• @mriormro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2686 months ago

I’ve been pirating since I was a child. That being said, I don’t think it’s particularly healthy to pin ‘media pirating’ as a personality trait.

• @DrQuint@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      266 months ago

Yeah, I basically stopped pirating entirely despite doing it relentlessly early in life. I still owe Capcom a thousand bucks if I am to pay that one alone back.

The basically part is that I still pirate what little music I need. Fuck the music industry.

• @mriormro@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          66 months ago

I basically do the same. I buy a majority of albums as records from my favorite bands or just bands I want to support.

• Colonel Sanders
      link
      fedilink
      English
      196 months ago

Yup. Pirating is about filling a need where companies sorely lack in providing services. When a company provides a shitty service or offers no viable alternative to obtaining something I would gladly pay for, pirating bridges that gap.

• @mriormro@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        236 months ago

Because, at the end of the day, we’re basically just downloading commodity entertainment. There’s nothing directly substantive about that and that’s fine. Not everything we do needs to become a direct part of our identity.

• 🕸️ Pip 🕷️
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2206 months ago

If you have money to spend (and THAT much), you can still pirate, but if you pirate without trying to fund the source of your art and tools, you’re a mega asshole. Especially if you have as much money as this dude claims to have. You can find the creators of your games online, find their ko-fis, their patreons. Where there’s a will there’s a way

• @whoamibro@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      336 months ago

For some people, it’s the convenience with pirating. It’s easier to pirate a movie from a go-to piracy website that you use than to find in which of the 50 different streaming sites the movie is available.

• Karyoplasma
        link
        English
        426 months ago

Gabe Newell agrees with you. He said that piracy is almost always a service problem, not a pricing problem.

• @pomodoro_longbreak@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          56 months ago

Yup, I remember that interview. It was about pirates providing translations for the pirated games, that weren’t included by their creators.

Fair pricing is also part of that. Like when Netflix first came out, even with its pretty restricted catalogue, it was a good deal at the time.

• @MeatsOfRage@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

I mean, Apple movies, Steam and Spotify or whatever your storefront of choice is will 95% of the time have what you’re looking for. The only tricky medium to find stuff is TV.

• @faintwhenfree@lemmus.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      246 months ago

Also I’m top 4-5% in my country, but compared to developed countries in not even at top 50% and so many of these digital products are not necessarily priced lower for my region specially the big houses like EA and Ubisoft, so I understand the original comment. And i also agree on the second part that where there is a will there is a way.

But i remeber donating about 10$ for a small dev that was livestreaming and i had pirated the game because game costed 40$. And I thought 10$ was a decent enough donation to cover my sins. Dev in a couple of days was crying over stream about how donating 10$ is doing nothing and he just would buy a beer (10$ buys about 14 beers in my country) and was just being an ass over the stream.

I’m not saying all devs are like that, but for a lot of third world country pirating is a lifestyle not because they just want to keep stealing, they just see it as a movement against wealth inequality. I’m not saying it’s right or not, I’m just explaining how the thought process works.

• 🕸️ Pip 🕷️
        link
        fedilink
        English
        86 months ago

I never said it wasn’t, but that was an extreme anecdote first of all, and second, I have re-iterated that this doesn’t apply to people who don’t have such disposable income. Relative to their cost of living, always. Pirating is a lifestyle, stealing from poor creators when you make a substantial amount of money is not. What you sent was enough, more than enough. The dev in question sounds like a jackass and unfortunately he wouldn’t be the first with how many indie and major game devs turn out to be horrible people.

• @lipilee@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      206 months ago

this. pirate all you want, netflix/disney/etc. will be fine. but find and support the artist. this is why i’m now stuck with the crap news around bandcamp. there are less and less ways to support creators instead of the leeches every day :(

• @sus@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          6 months ago

bandcamp was sold to epic games in 2022 and again to songtradr this year, and half its staff got laid off recently. CEO said that it was not profitable enough - though it was already very profitable. So it’s likely to start squeezing every penny out of users and artists in the next few years

• @lipilee@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          46 months ago

There were news of trouble a couple of weeks ago: sold (earlier) twice, layoffs, union problems, uncertainty :(

• @java@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Especially if you have as much money as this dude claims to have.

I mean, this is on 4chan. Regardless of whether this is true or not, the post is blatantly narcissistic. I don’t know why it should be here and what’s there to discuss.

• @interceder270@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      76 months ago

What if the product already turned a profit? That means everyone has been paid for their work already.

Any extra revenue is just additional profit. Why would I give them more money for no extra work?

• @CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Depending which country we’re talking about. Top 5% in Malawi is probably still a person who needs to pirate, although I could be wrong about that with 3rd world wealth inequality.

Edit: Based on the top 10% figure, guesses and napkin math, that’s an income of about 5000USD annually, so yeah pirate away.

• @LemmysMum@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        26 months ago

Are you free to learn or consume as necessary for your survival from the society you’re expected to grow to support? No? Then you have a need to pirate.

• @CaptKoala@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      26 months ago

Absolutely, this guy doesn’t care one bit about anything but the cash and status.

I pirate as much as the next bloke, but also buy multiple copies of some games because I enjoy them so much, or to get friends to play. I’m looking at you terraria…

It’s for the same reasons I would rather support a YouTuber I like directly through Patreon etc. than by disabling my adblocker.

• @ipkpjersi@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      16 months ago

I think the point was that despite him being top 5% of earners in his country, he’s still poor and thus still pirates.

For me it’s always been different, I’ve always pirated from a data archival perspective, which is why I’m also a maintainer/contributor of several open-source data archival projects.

• Illecors
        link
        fedilink
        English
        106 months ago

That is definitely not the point of this post.

• @seitanic@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -26 months ago

I think that funding creators is great if you have the money and the inclination. I just don’t think that it makes you an asshole if you don’t.

There are creators whom I fund because they give me exclusive extra content on their Patreons or sometimes if I just think that their work is important enough and I want to see it continue. If I decide that I need that money for something else, that’s up to me.

• Zuberi 👀
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -56 months ago

Ehh. Tell them to make a game that is actually worth $60 and I’ll consider it.

Not to mention all of the old games they won’t re-release on purpose because emulators are “stealing.”

link
        fedilink
        English
        106 months ago

Why the downvotes, he’s got a point. Big mega corps that release $70 games while abandoning the old games are the most moral argument you can make for piracy.

• 🕸️ Pip 🕷️
          link
          fedilink
          English
          136 months ago

Is that relevant to my comment? I said support the creators directly, not the corporations and explained with examples. That reply was suspicious and arrogant asf if you ask me. I never said spend 60$ for the game, I said support the creators directly, even through smaller amounts. Even a euro from a person who can is enough. You cracked the game, you liked it, why not do that bare minimum if you legit have that money + a lot more?

• Zuberi 👀
            link
            fedilink
            English
            -126 months ago

?.. Bro you’re the one in the piracy sub spewing anti-piracy rhetoric.

Consider it a courtesy that the lemmy.world chuds upvote this shit at all.

• @Lennard@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1266 months ago

If you have enough money to live comfortably, I think you should pay for art you love. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pirate anything (especially from big corps), but please donate some money to indie games, music, theatre…

• @CoderKat@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      216 months ago

Heck, I’d say even give money to those big corps so long as they are being reasonable with the price and availability. Reasonable varies by person, of course. But for me, I’ll pay for any $70-90 game (the normal price for new games now in Canada), but stuff like Sims DLC or how the original Mass Effect only let you get DLC through some dumb BioWare credits are cases where I’d pirate no regrets even with my current income.

After all, there won’t be AAA games if people don’t pay for them. I have (mostly) no qualms with big publishers pocketing a significant profit on those games if they get made well. Bigger problem I have is with games that get rushed to the point of impacting quality, but that’s something I see more for changing how you approach that individual title. Stuff like mistreating staff (crunch time) is a bit iffier. I still lean towards giving them my money, since nobody enters the game dev business without knowing it’ll involve crunch and I do want the devs to be rewarded for their hard work with a commercial success (cause that’s unfortunately just how success is measured in our capitalist society).

• @datavoid@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        76 months ago

I’d recommend only buying good / unique / finished games for $90 - buying any game for that much will just encourage them to keep releasing mediocre trash (mostly talking about series like COD, assassin’s Creed, etc.)

• val
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1036 months ago

My coworkers were talking today about all the hoops they were going through with streaming to find the content they wanted and navigating the byzantine extra charges to share it with their family. If piracy wasn’t an option I still wouldn’t go through all that, it’s madness how much worse the paid service is to the high seas.

• @OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      546 months ago

Yup. My gf has Netflix but for one of our shows, the English subtitles disappeared (she’s ESL). Took like 15 minutes to figure it out, but happened again the next day. Now we pirate that show because it’s easier, even though she has it on Netflix.

• @DrQuint@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Also used someone else’s Netflix to finally hit the attack on titan craze some years back.

No english subs. Have to read the local language. Whatever. The names were not accurately translated. Whatever. I could look past that since they were consistent within the subs as presented.

Season 2 - all the names changed from season 1. Even something as simple as changing a K to a C is too much and unacceptable, but the fuckers were straight up changing the name of the militaty units and shit. I had no idea who was who.

20 minutes later, I’m watching the HorribleSubs version with the worldwide-accepted English names and I never watched anime on Netflix. Piracy is a service problem.

• @Damage@feddit.it
          link
          fedilink
          English
          86 months ago

I have Netflix and Amazon and I still pirate a bunch of stuff, sometimes I even forget to check if something is available there before torrenting it

• lad
        link
        fedilink
        English
        16 months ago

I wonder if you have legal access to things you’re pirating, could someone call that a theft too? 🤔

link
      fedilink
      English
      16 months ago

That’s what they get for being too stupid to use free streaming services.

A fool and their money are soon parted.

It’s easier to fool someone than to convince them they’d been fooled.

• Enkrod
    link
    fedilink
    English
    906 months ago

Aye, I used to sail the high seas, the hull of my ship gnarly with viruses, adware and malware from some infectious crackers or key-generators.

Then I had money, and started buying my software and my movies and all was good for a time. Then my media consume shifted to mobile devices, but I had Amazon Prime Video as the only really available video-streaming service around and all was good for a time. Then I added Netflix, as it arrived on my countries market and all was good for a time. Then I added Crunchyroll, Disney+ and Hulu and everything sucked, streaming the shows I wanted to watch was suddenly so expensive, no single streaming service had everything I wanted to watch, so I needed to subscribe to them all, costing an amount of money I would not spend on buying those shows.

Now I have unsubscribed from all but two again, but the market is so fractured, there is barely anything interesting on the services I still go to.

So my eyes keep wandering to that old tricorn, the hook and peg-leg, gathering dust on the wall. I can hear the waves crashing and feel the tide rising in my bones. The moneybags have decided to press us for more and more, their greed means no single harbor, not even two are enough to supply our demands. So there is plenty of bounty to be found on the high seas again, big fat galleons full of content otherwise unreachable or too expensive.

Doncha hear it boys? Davey Jones is singing again, calling us back to the sea, put on your VPN, defy the torrents and right your compasses with a good magnet. We did not choose this life, they made us turn to it.

• @MashedTech@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

You’re right. If you can afford something you like you should steal it, it’s much better. Whenever I go into a library I just take a bag and dump all the books and take them home. Why should I put in the effort of wasting my time(meaning money I could have earned) signing a library card when I can just steal? It’s THE MOST EFFICIENT WAY. That’s how I stay RICH. I never pay. Whenever I see someone about to pay for something they want I just steal their money, why should they keep it if they’re not smart enough to not waste it? Their money is much safer with me. The apartment I’m currently living in is so cheap, because I never pay. I just changed all the locks, have triple bolts on all the doors and just stay here. It’s mine, it’s free and they can’t kick me out because I won’t let them. Why should I pay for the internet when it’s basically flowing free through these wires and air? I just take some from my neighbor. When I go to a coffee shop I just grab the first drink I see that’s on the counter. If they’re not fast enough to take their drink, I take it, it’s just sitting there, it’s free.

• lad
            link
            fedilink
            English
            146 months ago

I’m not sure whether to agree or not, but he’s got the point in the following sense: if everyone will pirate and never donate to the creator, then the creator will get about zero returns and will likely go make a living doing something else.

So pirate + donate looks like more fair redistribution of wealth, while pirate + no pay looks like being greedy asshole same as corporations

• @Bondsmith@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            96 months ago

Just curious, why do you not consider piracy stealing? It seems to me that if you take something of value from someone without compensation then that might as well be stealing

• @afathl@feddit.ch
              link
              fedilink
              English
              76 months ago

You make a copy of something of value, you don’t steal it. It’s still there afterwards

link
                fedilink
                English
                46 months ago

Agreed 100%. Original argument about taking something of value, if somone takes the source code, rebrands the original and re-releases the content for money, that would be stealing.

What are these people called? Not pirates for sure, Oh right they’re called some big “media creator company”

• @Waraugh@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                26 months ago

I’ll never lose sleep over it and don’t care for the whales but I do directly donate $15 a month, sometimes individually but often times to 2 or 3 individuals. The only service I pay for otherwise is realdebrid. I started donating as I got to a comfortable place in life and am happy to contribute that subscription plus my $15 a month donation to the project, creator, artist w/e. I pick based on the content our household is consuming or projects I want to support.

At the end of the day I don’t think anyone needs to justify anything. Even if pirating is considered to be immoral, which I’m not arguing, it would still be the least immoral practice in the process compared to all the shit that takes place with large commercially developed content.

If things ever got stupid I’d just play crossword and do puzzles, I’m not so attached to electronic media that I’d pay over $50 a month for the entertainment.

• @letsgo@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              -16 months ago

It’s actually quite simple. If I steal your car, I have your car and you don’t. If I clone your car, you still have your car. Theft leaves you poorer, copying doesn’t.

Now, there is a valid cargument about me having some benefit from some vehicle designers’ IP without having paid for it, but it is not necessarily true that if I couldn’t clone it I would definitely have bought it. So the clone cannot be considered a proven lost sale.

The law actually supports this. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for piracy under the laws of theft (except back in the day when piracy actually was theft, shiver me timbers and all that sort of stuff). It’s always copyright violation, and in sensible countries the prosecution have to prove there has been substantial material loss to the IP owner, which in the case of single copies for personal use is virtually impossible (especially where we all have to pay a blank media tax which compensates copyright owners for copies that might be made, even where those media are not used for copying someone else’s IP, which is scandalous, but here we are), but where someone has cloned stuff and gone on to either sell copies of ther clones that’s a lot easier.

• @seitanic@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          36 months ago

When you steal books from a library, you’re preventing others from accessing those books. When you download a digital copy of a book, you aren’t.

Same thing with money. If you stole my money, I’d be upset, but I wouldn’t be upset if I had infinite money.

• @MrSqueezles@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      256 months ago

I’m a really great person. I’m good at everything. My friends are all tools and won’t ever be as amazing as me.

Congratulations. I bet those friends are absolutely real.

• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    546 months ago

I’m heading back to it.

The streaming was sort of OK, and now it’s wank. Spread across dozens of services, that don’t have enough content to justify their existence. No UI linking them all together means you have no idea if something is available or not without checking justwatch.com

If music was like this, I’d pirate that too.

• @Sprokes@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      86 months ago

Doesn’t plex have an UI for all of them? I use plex to watch my media and I saw an option to add your streaming services.

• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        76 months ago

I think that’s just doing the Justwatch style thing. It’s a start, but it’s not a true integration.

Sad thing is, I’m pretty sure Netflix used to encourage you to make your own UI for it. Then they blocked it all.

• quirzle
          link
          fedilink
          66 months ago

The Plex watchlists seemed stupid and pointless to me…until someone pointed out you can subscribe to your Plex watchlist in Radarr/Sonarr. Now, I can watch trailers on Plex, add stuff, and it shows up automatically when released. Super convenient.

• @MasterBuilder@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      66 months ago

At least Chromecast for TV basically does this. I can search for something and it will tell me all the ways I can watch for any installed app even unsubscribed.

Still, the issue of paying multiple monthly fees to see what you want is ludicrous. It’s as if the media companies maliciously complied with consumers’ desire to pick and choose what they watch rather than pay $200 a month for 1000 stations they don’t watch.

Now, you have to pay $200 to get all the services that have what you want to watch - and you still have to sift through the drek.

Much better, that. /s

link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          6 months ago

The more the merrier!

Personally, if I’m interested in quality I think downloading is the way to go.

Streaming is great for its accessibility.

• @Rabbit@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    456 months ago

The hunt is part of the fun. Like how people will opt to build a PC or a keyboard over a pre-built or pull out vinyl over digital. The steps taken to retrieve and enjoy the media is sometimes a relaxing process.

• @Redredme@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      646 months ago

Yeah, no.

The hunt is only fun if you’ve got time to spare.

Throw in a spouse, kids, good but demanding job, a place to live, social obligations, detoriating (geriatric) parents, and you’re so happy you can just mash one single button and your favourite track, game or series starts to play.

That’s the reason why people stop pirating. Time.

When time is not (yet) your most precious resource you can see the fun in anything. Even virus scanning.

• @fiah
        link
        English
        136 months ago

and you’re so happy you can just mash one single button and your favourite track, game or series starts to play.

yes, that’s why I pay for some things and pirate others, because for me pirating is often significantly easier and less time consuming than paying

• @NotSoCoolWhip@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        116 months ago

Don’t have kids then. Much more free time.

I don’t understand

1. Making the deliberate choice of having kids
        2. Complaining about missing out on other things because of said kids
          link
          fedilink
          English
          76 months ago

Also, complaining about not having time but wasting their time talking to strangers online. I could understand the perspective from someone who doesn’t pirate, but to a pirate it is pretty hilarious seeing them making it out as this incredibly difficult time consuming thing like infomercials do.

link
          fedilink
          English
          26 months ago

What are you pirating that makes it so hard? I don’t bother with software or programs so it’s just pretty much looking at what’s newly released and torrenting it.

Why even pirate if it’s that much of a pain? Pretty much same logic to me a someone who complains about how confusing pc gaming is. I’d point to the consoles.

link
        fedilink
        English
        16 months ago

Really? I could understand that point from someone not in the piracy community, but doesn’t seem any more time consuming than posting on lemmy. Not really starved for time if someone is spending their time on social media.

Mind you I don’t pirate software or games, so maybe that’s why. Pretty much hardest has been waiting for download to finish.

• @Redredme@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          06 months ago

There is stuff worth pirating, stuff which can’t be found through other means or is way overpriced. Stuff like old movies or impossible to legally gather roms.

For all others: “convenience is king.”

And you’re smart to not pirate software. The. “no illegal software” rule has saved me many times.

• @ikidd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I’m well over 25 years of sailing now (40 if you count games for early PCs), and they’ll pry the sabre out of my cold, dead hands. I’ve made not watching ads a lifestyle and piracy is so much easier than dealing with the bullshit interfaces of streaming companies.

If I have a way of directly donating to creators and not via their shitty production companies, I’ll take it. Podcasts have it right, I can send money to creators and get an ad-free stream. If I can’t, I don’t donate and I don’t listen to their work.

In the end, me avoiding ads isn’t costing anyone anything, because if I hear an ad, I likely avoid that product going forward. They have at best zero effect on my buying decisions, if not a negative one.

• kadotux
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I’m a lot like you in a way, and I agree with what you said, but I just wanted to note that you are NOT invulnerable to marketing or ads. Advertisement (brainwashing) techniques have been researched for centuries, and with massive resources. I think even the very thing where some people think they can’t be affected by marketing, is a marketing technique itself. Probably.

• @ikidd@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        16 months ago

Possibly, but I encounter very, very few ads. So I might take a chance heard product and research it into a purchase, but I’m not going to do the “seven exposures and they’re sure to buy” sort of thing.

• Hazmatastic
    link
    fedilink
    English
    316 months ago

I buy the things I want to support. Small game studios get my money. Bands get my money directly, I buy albums and merch. Pretty much, small businesses or organizations that put great amounts of care and love into their high quality work get my money all day, as directly as i can. But would I pay for an Activision/EA game? Or a Marvel movie? Absolutely not.

• @Tom_bishop@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    316 months ago

Pay it forward. I’m from 3rd world country. Growing up pirating gave me and my brother precious memories playing cs, doom, star wars, gta2, rollercoster tycoon, sims etc. Not to mention music and movies which would’ve cost us weeks of our food money if we would’ve bought it legitimately. We both grew up and made decent enough money now. I paid for my games and sometimes paid to play old games if i could find it in Steams. Million thanks to all the crackers, hosters, translators, modders, seeders, etc. You made my childhood memorable, and worth living despite all the shits going around us where we live. Oh not to mention i learned better english playing games than learning it from school.

• @NoiseColor@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    306 months ago

I’ve pirated almost everything for the last 30 years from msdos on. But I wouldn’t say it’s a lifestyle. It’s just that most of the stuff I would never buy. I don’t need them, they are not important, but maybe I want a taste. I don’t pirate music anymore because it’s not practical and some of the software. Some. Games I don’t play much anymore, but I would pirate them until I have like 50 hours in. Then I start thinking maybe it makes sense to buy. Unless it turns out cracked version is better than official one.