• bloup@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I like 10 months each with 6 weeks of 6 days each for a total of 360 days and a 5 day holiday at the end of every year (6 days during a leap year)

But Jesse really has opened my eyes to the possibility of a lunisolar calendar.

• FardyCakes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

10 months used to be the standard, until some Caesers ended up getting a couple of months named after them.

September (7th month) October (8th month) November (9th month) December (10th month)

Those months would also be named appropriately again if we dropped July and August…. But then I’d lose my birthday.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I used to think this too, but it turns out that it’s not the case.

July and August weren’t new months added in. They were renamings of the existing months Quintilis and Sextilis. The disconnect between the months’ numbers and the names their numbers represent actually comes from a later shifting of the start of the year from March back to January.

• RandomStickman@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

The Chinese clanander is lunisolar. It has alternating 29 and 30 day months and a leap month once in a while to catch up with the seasons and such.