arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Flaws:

• fails to address leap years
    • fails to address 365th day
    • moon cycle will still slowly deviate
    • retains clunky 7-day week that doesn’t interact will with decimal counting system

I like it, but I got an even better proposal. Weeks should have ten day weeks, and each month should have 3 weeks. summer/winter solstice and the spring/autumn equinox as well as new years day are special holidays that fall between months and interrupt the week cycle. In leap years, new years is two days.

The 1st, 11th and 21st of each month are now Mondays, so you can tell the weekday of any date. Months are the same length just like in Jesse’s proposal, but an even 30 instead of a clunky 28.

I’ve thought about this a lot

• ℛ𝒶𝓋ℯ𝓃@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Congratulations, you’ve successfully reinvented the Egyptian civil calendar, complete with the intercalary holidays and all. Literally the only change is to add weeks. And yes, it did work really well, especially since the feast could add or lose a day to adjust to a known reference (the rise and fall of the Nile in their case). I second this proposal to go back.

• PhreakyByNature@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

No dammit, we want 3 days off in the current 7 day week cycle. 5 days off a 10 day week works for me. We ask for that, get negotiated down to 4 day weekends and it works.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I dunno man, if hump day meant I still had the rest of the day plus 3 more days until the weekend, I think I’d snap.

• realitista@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Yeah you’d definitely need one day in the middle. Or Id say even better, a 3 day and 2x2 day work weeks with days off in between.

• wolfpack86@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I hope that one of the new days is named after you and we all curse you every Potatuesday for creating more workdays.

• 1rre
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

3-1-4-2 would work and give 70% work to 30% off - currently we have 71.4% work in a 7 day week so it’s pretty similar with less friday burnout

• 1rre
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Should be from workers’ perspective, but 3-1-4-2 is still a win for pretty much everyone as it would most likely improve productivity potentially more than 4-3 while also giving “more” (marginally, but still about 4 days per year) time off than 5-2

• Siegfried@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I like the 10 days week, but people, please rush to create a new religion to cover multiple free days or im out

• GreenMario@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The extra days of the week is called Lazyday, Chillsday, and Beersday.

It is forbidden to work on these days, the Lord commands it.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

every other day is labour day, and thus a holiday.

• xeekei@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

What names shall we give the new weekdays? Because I was thinking maybe we should rename a few existing ones, so no weekdays start with the same letters. Then they can be abbreviated to their respective first letters.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Weeks should have ten day weeks

And instead of calling them “weeks”, we could call them by the much more self-explanatory term “tendays”.

summer/winter solstice and the spring/autumn equinox as well as new years day are special holidays that fall between months and interrupt the week cycle

You can simplify it a little bit by putting the intercalary days between months, rather than using them for the solstices. We can put Midwinter between January 30 and February 1 and Midsummer between July 30 and August 1, in the northern hemisphere.

For the sake of putting it in a more user-friendly location, our leap day should be in the summer for the northern hemisphere (where most of the population is). So put it the day after Midsummer.

The only thing I would do differently from the Calendar of Harptos is that, like you, I would use New Year’s Day as the 5th annual intercalary day.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Ok, I’ve never heard of that site before, but I am definitely in its target market. Thanks for sharing!

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

the equinoxes and solstices are roughly 90 days apart anyway so we can do both :)

Calendar of Harptos actually influenced my post hehe

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

the equinoxes and solstices are roughly 90 days apart anyway so we can do both

Right, but my point was that we shouldn’t use either equinoxes or solstices, because they occur around the 21st of their month at present. It’s better to put the intercalary days in between months so that a single month doesn’t get awkwardly split up.

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I recently thought of abolishing timezones altogether and everybody I told thought I was batshit crazy. thank you!

• r00ty@kbin.life
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Weeks should have ten day weeks, and each month should have 3 weeks.

Here’s why I’m going to say no. It’s because businesses would just rip us off by turning the working week into 8 days and just retaining the 2 day weekend.

No, and double no.

• demonquark@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

That’s very pessimistic. It assumes that there is a corporate led reform. Which is unlikely. If it was a grass roots campaign, the call for change would include a weekend proposal from the start. By the time businesses come around to supporting it, the weekend will alredy be defined as 3-work-2-off, or 7-work-3-off.

• enki@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Businesses don’t have the power to do that if we collectively tell them no. But that being said, how DO you split up a 10-day week keeping the same basic ratio of “weekend” days?

Three weekdays, followed by a single “weekend” day or mid-week break, then four weekdays followed by a two-day weekend?

• dQw4w9WgXcQ@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I don’t see why 7 day weeks are bad in regard to the number system. We rarely need to divide the days of the week into equal portions. Remembering 1, 8, 15 and 22 as mondays would be trivial after a while.

You also claim that failure to address the 365th day and leap years is an issue, but your proposal also includes several cycle-breaking days. So the same issue would persist.

Moon deviation isn’t something I really worry about, but having a period which almost align with the cycle seems useful. It would be easy to just examine the initial phase within the month to chart out the rest of the month.

However, I think the biggest flaw is that the calendar would be divided into 13 equal parts, which sucks to divide into typical use cases, i.e. into 2 parts. You could split the 7th month, but it’s not really elegant. Dividing the year into 3 or 4 parts would be a mess.

• SpeakinTelnet@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Current workforce is schedule around a 7day centric week. It’s far easier to reorganize where the weeks fall in the year than changing the structure of a week. Suddenly the workforce would have segment of work overlapping between weeks, it’s an organizational nightmare.

The international fixed calendar did propose a solution for the 365 days and leap year but it’s basically out-of-the-week holidays.

• bloup@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I do five day holiday for end of the year to account for the extra days like the Mayans did but I really like your idea of spreading four of them out to the solstices and equinoxes!

• Norgur@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Any solution that has some form of “oh those days? Nah, we don’t count those” is disqualified immediately in my book.

• SuperDuper@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

As a software developer, I would rather give up the 1.25 days off a year just to not have to work around some weird monthless and weekless date every year.

• PotatoesFall
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Hm fair enough. Let’s make the intercalary days part of the last week of the last month before they happen for programming/numbering purposes. So Midsummer is just June 31st, or the 11th day of the 18th week.

• ℛ𝒶𝓋ℯ𝓃@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

laughs in Egyptian…

They had 5 or 6 intercalary holidays to celebrate the new year and adjust to the rise of the Nile (and we’d adjust it to astronomical time with leap years). It actually worked really well, and kept the people happy with a 5-day rest and celebration each year (something this world could definitely use).

• Norgur@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

They didn’t have software though and you don’t know if it either worked well (since the ppl who kept this system going were the same people who wrote about it) nor of it kept ppl happy. Besides: you can do that without the “not counting those” part, couldn’t you?

• Godnroc@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I think of it like the appendices of a book. The main story is counted with numbers, page 10, but the appendix is counted with Roman numerals, page X. While adding to the appendix increases the number of pages in the book, it does not change the length of the story.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Dec can be the month with 29 days and a 4 year leap day. That way all the nonsense is in one place.

Moon cycle doesn’t matter.

7 day system is not clunky it is human.

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

But you typically get paid an amount per year, divided between pay periods. You work the same amount, get paid the same amount overall, and get more pay periods at the expense of less pay per period

• Pogbom@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

There’s the same amount of weeks though. It’s just spread over 13 months instead of 12 so it would be the same total bi-weekly pay periods.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Not necessarily, some companies do half way and end of the month instead of strict every two weeks so they can claim a consistent monthly wage

• daltotron@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I would like to believe in calendar reform as a goal. At the same time, I think calendars are one of the only pretty decent somewhat universal standards we have going for us, and if we changed it at all, you KNOW we would just be using two competing standards, not everyone would want to switch because people are stupid, so unless you forced it from the top down through technology, like a really advanced, shitty version of y2k, which would make people super pissed, I dunno if any of it would work.

• dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

This is the reason. Small changes like un-doing Daylight Savings is doable. But moving every holiday, birthday, and anniversary to another month+day combo would make this move daunting. The inertia of this kind of data would just make any transition period super long. So while you could implement the new calendar as a locale for phones and computer operating systems, but you’d probably be using two calendars for the rest of your life.

• bufalo1973@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Not necessarily. Up until a fixed date for all the world, current calendar. From that day on, new calendar.

• don@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

My initial thought was “well, we changed calendars before, we can do it again” but then realizing the world’s current population of ~8 gigapeople is considerably larger than what the population was the last time the calendar was changed to what it is now.

• Franzia@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Counterpoint: 1st shift, 2nd shift and 3rd shift work. Some people are better off using different systems that exist alongside but separate from the norm.

… And vice versa, workplaces and life offer us systems that dont work well for us but we need to use them because we need money to live. So not only would 3rd shift be a bad fit for most people, I’d argue most people do worse with the current calendar than they could with a new one.

• daltotron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Fair point actually, I suppose, then, that my point, retrospectively, is that nobody should ever expect that, were we to adopt any new calendar or time measurement system, we’d somehow do less math. We will only ever do more math.

There is only math.

• A_Union_of_Kobolds@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

It really annoys the hell out of me that we don’t use a better calendar. I think about this once a week at least. I feel like being stuck with the Gregorian calendar is a good example of why so many inefficient structures exist in society - some assholes centuries ago decided on a thing, and out of habit and laziness we’ve stuck with it since.

• Etterra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I came up with this independently years ago. It’ll never catch on for the idiotic reason that you can’t subdivide 13 like you can 12. 13 is a prime number, while 12 can be divided easily by 2, 3, 4, and 6. 12 is like the whore of simple math.

• BigT54@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah, but that only matters for months. We could instead just use weeks since there are 52 weeks per year, so a quarter would be 13 weeks instead of 3 months. It would be easier to determine how many weeks there are in a span of a couple months because it’s not variable, or any number of months because they’re just multiples of 4. I know a lot of people would be turned off by the system because the number 13 comes up so often and people are superstitious but it really would make things easier imo.

• Flambo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

can we put the extra 30 hours on the end of each year as a formless blob of ‘time off’?

• MightyGalhupo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

What about syncing with the sun? I feel like doing that for a day every year and every 4 years an extra day after would be better.

• tweeks@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Only let the new “last month” have one extra day would fix this. That would break the Weekdays, but perhaps that’s not so bad as recurring events like birthdays and holidays are then not always destined per se to be on the same weekday.

• zeekaran@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

The day doesn’t have to exist in a month. It can be its own day at the end/beginning of the year.

• hydrospanner@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

At a certain point in each year, probably at the end, we get one extra monthless day, a holiday.

Every 4 years we do two monthless days.

Also, what the fuck is wrong with Jesse? We start each month on Sunday, so that the month is divided into 4 weeks. Not one almost-week, three full weeks, and a spare hanging chad of a Sunday.

• GissaMittJobb@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

The prime factors of 365 is 5 and 73, hence a month should either be 73 days and there should be 5 of them, or there should be 73 months with 5 days each.

Mathematical perfection!

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yes also 364 days from 13x28 would not align with years around the sun. We’d still need a leap year with 5x73 but that’s easier than correcting from 364.

• ℛ𝒶𝓋ℯ𝓃@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

12x30, 5 or 6-day intercalary (government-mandated) days off for rest and celebration of Yule + New Year’s (just make them all December 31-35/6).

• Matcraftou@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Is this true??? If so WHY THE F… ARE WR STILL USING THE CURRENT CALENDAR.

Honestly I would be all for a new calendar if this is true

• Robust Mirror@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

The main hiccup is the system is off by a day. Some people “fix” this by saying the extra day should be “new years day” or something similar that exists outside the main calendar and doesn’t have an actual date or day assigned to it. Personally I think that’s kind of silly but it does work.

The second problem which to me is a much bigger problem, is he argues every month starting on Monday is a feature, I think it’s a bug. The result of this is every date is the same day, every year. If you are born on a Wednesday, your birthday will always be on a Wednesday. I like it mixing up and getting to have your birthday on different days.

Also almost everyone will have a new birthday they have to learn and too many people would simply be unwilling to go along with that.

And all that is ignoring the monumental task of changing every computer system in the world.

Edit: also 13 is just kind of a rubbish number to work with and doesn’t divide into anything nicely.

• zeekaran@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Same day every year is definitely a feature. Make holidays on Fridays or Mondays. Celebrate your birthday on Saturday if you want.

• Robust Mirror@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I will concede that it would make some things easier, like if someone says are you busy on the 5th, you can instantly know the 5th is a Friday or whatever. But I still don’t like it. And without researching in detail, I’m betting there are holidays, particularly religious ones, that wouldn’t be okay with moving the date to match the weekend closest to it for reasons.

• zeekaran@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Most religious holidays have already been moved people in three generations won’t care. Most will appreciate the weekend adjacent scheduling. Things like the Fourth of July can just be Independence Day like it already is.

• Sea_pop@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Yes, I am that guy but the word is ‘hiccup’, not hickup. Although, coming from a family of rednecks, this fits as we do tend to mess stuff up quite often.

• vancent@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

The issue is that 13 is not divisible by anything, so we can’t split the year by halves or quarters like we do now.

• BigT54@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Sure you can, just not by months, you would need to use weeks instead to retain integer values. A half year would be 26 weeks and a quarter year would just be 13 weeks. Of course this fails if you wish to divide further, but at that point you could just say 2 months and people would know for certain you are saying 8 weeks.

• Rodeo@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

All indigenous people around the world knew the wisdom of the turtle … It’s almost as it white man severed the connection between the people and the sun …

Wtf is this woo woo garbage lmao

• Alien Nathan Edward@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

how did the cherokee account for the fact that this is mathematically incorrect and would cause dates to drift across the actual solar year?

• Ĺįĺįţĥ ţĥę §ęŕpęŋţ🍏🐍@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Well, it’s incorrect when it comes to the solar year but is correct when it comes to the lunar cycles. So I guess they didn’t track time by the solar year then. It’s just a matter of cultural perspective. Tracking the seasons and the lunar cycles were probably more important to Indigenous Americans because of needing to know when to seed, harvest, and hunt as opposed to knowing the exact time it takes for the earth to loop around the sun.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

the seasons are a function of the earth’s position in its orbit around the sun, not the number of moon cycles that have taken place

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

you’re the one badly misunderstanding the how the solar cycle works, how the lunar cycle works (it’s not exactly 28 days, the turtle shell method wouldn’t work here either), how seasons work, mythologizing “Indigenous Americans” as though they’re a monolith and pretending they’re too stupid to realize that the flower moon of this year is a lot warmer than the flower moon of the year they were born. you’ve substituted pop mythology for actually thinking about a problem, then got defensive, insulting and shitty when someone pointed out that your basic assumptions are deeply, provably flawed. if you’re gonna be a dick, at least be smart.

• How bouts you shut the fuck up and quit your childish fucking arguing. I’m sooo sorry that I ruined your fucking day so bad for mentioning a method of keeping track of time that differs from your understanding of the world. You do realize I didn’t create the concept, right? Just keep focusing your anger on me since it’s obviously my fault. Fucking drama queen Redditor piece of shit.

Have a nice day. 🖕

• What’s your problem? Why am I your target? Please explain. All I did was point out that the concept of the 13 month calendar is really old. Then I said it’s accurate if you aren’t worried about a full sun cycle. Of course it’s not as accurate as the gregorian calendar. Why are you fucking blaming that all on me? What the fuck did I do to you to deserve this shit? And yeah, I know you’re a redditor because all you redditors tend to like to start arguments where there are none, just to make yourself feel important. Please take your calendar arguments to the Indigenous Americans who created it and explain to them why their “basic assumptions are probably flawed.”

• HiddenLayer5@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I just wish the Earth turned a little slower so a year has 360 days and each day gives you a clean one degree of angular movement (or we defined a full revolution around an axis as 365 degrees since 360 is arbitrary too as far as math is concerned. Actually, anyone know why we didn’t do that?)

• Saik0@lemmy.saik0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

360 isn’t as arbitrary as you think and was chosen specifically for its divisibilty. 365 doesn’t divide well by much of anything.

• Deuces@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I’d always heard that it was because the ancient sumarrians thought there were 360 days in a year combined with the fact that their holy number was 60 so it divided cleanly.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

It takes only about 19 years for a 360 day calendar to be off by a whole season. Every ~38 years, winter and summer would swap entirely. Grandparents would have told their grandchildren about how much easier the summers were and how much harder the winters were.

• rifugee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I just wish the Earth turned a little slower

Good news, all you have to do is wait…several billion years!

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I just thought of something that could be better,

Scrap months altogether, just divide the year into quarters of 13 weeks each, name them for the seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, there isn’t really a reason why we need months specifically, if it’s to shorten date numbers then count by week number and day number

Day/Week/Quarter/Year

Today’s 7/8/4/23

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It’s the calendar business use to divide up quarters/periods for the year. Except one quarter has an extra month.

• mulcahey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Do other businesses besides Kodak use this calendar? Kodak is the only one named in that linked Wikipedia article

• mulcahey@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Are there any examples? I’m really interested in what other companies use the 13 month calendar.

I understand that businesses sometimes use a different calendar from the normal, but I think you’re describing the fiscal year, which is still a 12-month calendar. I don’t think there are any other companies that use a 13 month calendar.

• phoneymouse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

The only authority I’ve seen that pushes 13 months is WMATA in DC, so they can charge you 13 times per year for a metro pass instead of 12. I always felt like that was some BS.

• bloup@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I like 10 months each with 6 weeks of 6 days each for a total of 360 days and a 5 day holiday at the end of every year (6 days during a leap year)

But Jesse really has opened my eyes to the possibility of a lunisolar calendar.

• FardyCakes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

10 months used to be the standard, until some Caesers ended up getting a couple of months named after them.

September (7th month) October (8th month) November (9th month) December (10th month)

Those months would also be named appropriately again if we dropped July and August…. But then I’d lose my birthday.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I used to think this too, but it turns out that it’s not the case.

July and August weren’t new months added in. They were renamings of the existing months Quintilis and Sextilis. The disconnect between the months’ numbers and the names their numbers represent actually comes from a later shifting of the start of the year from March back to January.

• RandomStickman@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

The Chinese clanander is lunisolar. It has alternating 29 and 30 day months and a leap month once in a while to catch up with the seasons and such.